Thoughts on droppin lbs?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
You should pick up a smartshake. Greatest invention ever. (I bought 4 lol)

150383ED-7FDB-45DF-8D90-4310D9E38CAB-18295-00000A41E2516EF5.jpg

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I want those kirkland steak strips... Sadly i'm a BJs member not Costco... I can get them online but the shipping negates the savings :glare:

Maybe i can get a 1 day trial and buy a stockpile and freeze it.

Just find someone with a Costco membership and give them the funds to buy the strips for you. If the FDNY Academy lets you keep snacks in your gear (ours did), I'd go with either the Greek yogurt mix or the Kirkland Fruit & Nut, and throw some strips in, otherwise you'll bottom out during search, maze training, hose drills, etc. that burn a lot of calories. You don't want anything heavy in your stomach for lunch just in case they make you do a lot of work on air, make you breathe down your cylinder to the last drop (getting choked out in BJJ while winded was pleasureable compared to that), etc. We did "chop till you drop" the second day of SCBA, which is where you chop a log with a purposefully dull axe until you run out of air. If you still have air after a certain amount of time, they make you go up and down stairs with heavy objects until you do run out. Miserable, especially in 90 degree heat, but necessary so that you can deal with being nearly out of air when it counts.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
You should pick up a smartshake. Greatest invention ever. (I bought 4 lol)

150383ED-7FDB-45DF-8D90-4310D9E38CAB-18295-00000A41E2516EF5.jpg

Where do I get this? Too lazy to google, please don't lmgtfy

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/smartshake/smart-shake.html

I did the buy two get one free. One had a tiny crack in it so they sent me a fourth but the cracked one still works. I bring it to work so if it gets broken its whatever.

Thanks.

Forgot to mention, if you're really militant about how much to eat exactly, you could do Zone, but that's too much of a PITA for me.

Oh yeah, a wise man once told me that carbs are the devil, and peanut butter is third world protein - what they use when they can't afford real protein hahaha

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks.

Forgot to mention, if you're really militant about how much to eat exactly, you could do Zone, but that's too much of a PITA for me.

Oh yeah, a wise man once told me that carbs are the devil, and peanut butter is third world protein - what they use when they can't afford real protein hahaha

Yea I don't track what I eat that much. Just keep it healthy as much as I can.

But PB is so delicious :( All natural of course, none of that vegetable oil garbage.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yea I don't track what I eat that much. Just keep it healthy as much as I can.

But PB is so delicious :( All natural of course, none of that vegetable oil garbage.

Cool, so long as you realize that it's not a protein source but actually a fat source, and that it's a legume, and harbors food sensitivities/allergies just like all other legumes (why beans make you bloat and fart, among other things)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Cool, so long as you realize that it's not a protein source but actually a fat source, and that it's a legume, and harbors food sensitivities/allergies just like all other legumes (why beans make you bloat and fart, among other things)

:sad:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

I decided to instead of purchasing a costco membership, use the money to buy a jerky maker!

I just threw some marinated top round in the fridge can't wait to use it tomorrow.

OP
OP
Shepard

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
Update

I'm losing weight. Slowly, but its going.
EAT BREAKFAST. Pack lunch, pack water. No soda, no sugar juice, fruit, sandwiches or wraps are awesome with whole grain bread and lots of veggies. Its important to eat right because that's all that you can really be in control of on the rig.

As far as exercise, when Im not on the rig working, running in the morning 2-5 miles. Bought a pair of 20 lb. Free weights. When I'm watching TV, reading, studying whatever lift those weights. On shift... I'm screwed. We post for 12 hpurs, and get run pretty hard
So basically no exercise 3-4 days a week. At night if there's time I like to do Insanity workouts.

So that's my regimine. Anyone else? Any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lizadizzle

Forum Probie
I'm just starting my new 'lifestyle' if you will. Dispatching is terrible for anyone's body - just sitting... doing nothing, for 8 hours is horrifying.

I've decided to start getting to work a little earlier and dragging up some of the lighter free weights from the gym downstairs. I also plotted out a 12 week plan for working out that meshes with class/work/social life. It's a mix of yoga, insanity and the gym - hopefully it'll work.

As for diet, I track everything that I put in my mouth with the livestrong website. It calculates everything I need for the day and makes me feel like arse when I go over. :glare: *shrug* but it works for me.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Cha cha cha chia

I've been doing the chia diet (not the ones you grow on potted plants) and its been helping me drop weight pretty decently (along with exercise) I would highly recommend it. It fills me up, so I eat smaller portions and loaded with anti-oxidants!

CAC758

Forum Ride Along
Don't go on any "Diets", you have to change the way you eat.

Figure out your BMR (Basal metabolic rate, The energy your body will use in a resting state). Look for a calculation online (harris benedict equation preferably), these calculators will usually have you enter your activity level. This will give you the amount of calories that you must eat to MAINTAIN your body weight.

Intake > Expenditure = Gain
Intake = expenditure = maintain
intake < expenditure = lose

Eat 500 - 750cal LESS than your BMR+activity level and you will lose weight.

Download "Fitter fitness calculater (BMR)" and "Myfitnesspal" apps. MYfitnesspal allows you to record (enter in food or scan barcode on package) and track your daily intake and provides you with charts of all your macronutrients. I like to scan all my food and snacks in the morning so i know exactly what you are taking in, and if you need to eat more of less of a certain macronutrient. You want to be eating 5 - 6 times a day. I put most of my weight loss clients on a 50% carb 30% protein 20% fat diet.