This is what happens when......

JonTullos

Forum Captain
OUCH. That made my ankle hurt so I can only imagine what he thought of the ordeal.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
Wicked Ouch.

How did it happen. I'm assuming there was an excess of gravity that day but just curious on the events

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
ok here is what we think happened. Chiefy was on ladder (getting ready to insulate the attic) ladder started to slide out from underneath him. He (being macho like he thinks he is) rode down with ladder. Not sure what happened after that, either foot got stuck in rungs or foot hit deck rail. Anyway that was the end result. He said that there was not much pain. He was rather pissed that no one would let him see. (I was the lucky one to get to remove the shoe and sock, as no one else would) Pansy's!!! We couldn't get a pulse, so we opted to wait for the paramedics to get there. So once they got there he told me to snap some pics. He got to hosp. went thru 3hrs of surg. got 15 scews and a plate. (Will upload pics of now later) Dr. said that the cat scan showed a clean break to the tib and a shattered fib. The xrays are awsome. He is soooo proud that he could assist in a lil' training exercise. But he will not be doing anything like that again. Really cool Y cut on one side and a 7 inch cut on other side all complete with 52 staples.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
I'm wondering if his foot *did* get hung up in the ladder rungs on his way down.

My first experience with an open tib-fib was a guy that fell 50ft out of a tree and landed on both feet. Came in the ER in their vehicle screaming that he broke his leg. A cut up his jeans legs and there it was. Turned out it wasn't his worse injury. X-ray showed that the leg with the open fx was a relatively clean break. The X-ray of other leg (the one w/o the open fracture) looked like the middle his tibia had just exploded into just multiple bone splinters.

Hope your chief has a smooth recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
I am sure he will walk with a limp after this. But he is doing good. Got a bad case of elephantitis in his leg (lots of swelling) but other than that he is doing good. Sent him home on V, so he's feeling no pain.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
OUCH! Hope he is doing better!

NRCCEMTP26

Forum Probie
Hmmmm. That is impresive. he will know not to that again. hope he gets better soon

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
PUCKER FACTOR: TEN point FIVE!

tencharacters

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am sure he won't be doing that again is for certain. After a few months of rehab and P.T. it will be difficult to maintain a Fire Service position.

Sorry, that it occurred.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
He's lucky that chief's work is already 'light duty'.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Sorry for your chief, gotta love him wantin pics. though!!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow!

WOW! Poor guy I hope is is doing better!!

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
I am sure he won't be doing that again is for certain. After a few months of rehab and P.T. it will be difficult to maintain a Fire Service position.

Sorry, that it occurred.

R/r 911

Lucky for him he is just a rescue dog. I am thinking he will have a def. limp.

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Update

Just added more pics of Chiefy's ankle booboo.
The good news is... his swelling is not so bad anymore!!!
Bad news..... now he gets to start PT