this is sooo cool!

TheDoll

Forum Captain
i hope it's okay with all of you that this really has nothing to do with ems. i generally, don't post or pass along things that are the latest internet fad, but this is really cool. also, many of you are going to look at this and not believe the lady can turn in the opposite direction. in fact, some of you will probably get pretty heated over the idea. so, before you freak out, show this to a few people, and find out what they see. personally, i see her go both directions. she appears to go one direction, then i look at her feet, and i can switch her direction.
also, the newspaper that this is from is based in australia. so, remember that clockwise and counterclockwise are opposite there than they are here:D. (jk about that)
okay, here goes!
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html
i hope you guys think this is as cool as i do:)

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I think that is super cool.. I am primarily right brain based, but I can change it also... but not by just looking at her feet. Reading a few sentences flips it for me... which makes sense...

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
that's funny! some of my friends could flip it just by looking away from her and looking back.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
that's funny! some of my friends could flip it just by looking away from her and looking back.

And I feel like a moron and can't flip her for the life of me. Although I saw this a few months ago on a different site and definitely didn't have any trouble seeing her spin either way. I guess this just further proves my stubborn nature (either that or I am the victim of a tabloid-style alien abduction and hemispherectomy).

Besides, anyone with half a brain can clearly see she's only spinning in one direction anyway! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
HAHA. When I first opened the page she was going counter-clockwise. Blinking caused her to start turning clockwise. Just like Kaisu, as I was reading she started turning counter-clockwise.

Then watching either her feet, arms or hair I could make her turn which ever way I wanted her to.

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
ha ha! you're not a moron! the other way that i can make her turn the other way is if i look away, but i still can see her in my periphery. then, i just imagine her going the other way. then, when i look back she is going the direction i want.

Buzz

Forum Captain
I've been sitting here trying to flip it's direction for five minutes. I can't seem to do it. For the life of me, I can't seem to get it to spin counter-clockwise.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
Trick: If you look at the shadow of the feet, it can be easier to see the figure rotate in the opposite direction.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
From having read some of the comments above, I suspected (correctly, it turned out) it to be some sort of optical illusion type thing where a woman appears to be spinning one way or the other. So when I clicked the link, I wasn't surprised to see a black figure of a woman spinning. I noticed that I could see her spinning in either direction and could change it pretty quickly at will. Then I saw the text on the left: "THE Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?" And the first thing that popped into my mind after that was, "I see nipples!" :D

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Counter clockwise for me!!! lol its super hard for me to see it going the other way

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I showed this to a few of the guys here at the station and most of us could reverse her, but it took quite awhile for all of us to get her going the other way. I originally saw her as clockwise and couldn't get her going the other way without looking at her feet, as others have mentioned. Very cool!

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
i'm glad you guys like this! so, now, if i see her going in one direction, and if i have trouble changing her, then it starts making me a little anxious:D (chimpie, no making fun of my ridiculous grammar in that last sentence.) so, anyway, obsess much? ha ha ha!

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I've tried everyone's suggestions to make her go the other way and I just can't manage it. Looked at the feet, looked at the head, looked away, closed my eyes and tried to imagine her . . . . . . . nothing.

I'm usually pretty good at optical illusions. Do you all remember the pictures they used to sell in the stores that if you stared at them long enough you could see another 3D shape? I had no problems with them.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Oh, wait!! There we go. I tried thinking about one leg going BEHIND the other and that worked for me. :) Wicked.

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
I've tried everyone's suggestions to make her go the other way and I just can't manage it. Looked at the feet, looked at the head, looked away, closed my eyes and tried to imagine her . . . . . . . nothing.

I'm usually pretty good at optical illusions. Do you all remember the pictures they used to sell in the stores that if you stared at them long enough you could see another 3D shape? I had no problems with them.

i bemember those! i wonder if i can find a website with them? forEVER i couldn't see the pictures--i mean, like, for years. finally, i was able to see one!

Oh, wait!! There we go. I tried thinking about one leg going BEHIND the other and that worked for me. :) Wicked.
which way were you seeing her turn originally?

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
okay, here is a link to some of those 3D pics. they are called sirds (that's the short version:)). anyway, the page is kind of old--by internet standards anyway:p, and you have to click on every link. sorry! they are pretty cool, though. if you have trouble seeing them, let me know, and i'll post some tips on how to see them more easily
http://www-ai.ijs.si/sirds/sirds.html

oh, yeah and another thing! there are a few files you might have trouble opening. they are the files that end in .ps
so, you might want to stick with the gif and jpg files!