Third rides before class starts?

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Idolizes Johnny and Roy
Hey y'all,

Posting again even though anyone who read my first post on probably thinks I'm not entirely sane. I have a question: is it possible to start getting in any of my class required ride alongs before my class even starts? I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I've been bit by the overachiever bug and am just wanting to get way ahead

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably going to be impossible.

There's a reason ride alongs and hospital clinicals are towards the end of classes, typically one of the last steps before graduating.

As someone who's had EMT students third ride with me in the past, I can say we want people who are ready to graduate, ready to do skills, take vitals, even run a few simple assessments.

The last thing EMT and Paramedic preceptor want is a bump on the log who can only sit and watch and take up space without adding any value... and they cannot/will not be able to teach you how to do this from a zero state.

It's possible an agency *may* allow observers, but highly unlikely, and it will not count towards your ride time.

OP
OP
M3dicalR3dn3ck

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Idolizes Johnny and Roy
Much appreciated, that saves me a few phone calls and making an ### of myself to potential future employers. Other than reading ahead in the book and getting my required medical information up to snuff, do you have any recommendations for how I can set myself up for excellence?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Much appreciated, that saves me a few phone calls and making an ### of myself to potential future employers. Other than reading ahead in the book and getting my required medical information up to snuff, do you have any recommendations for how I can set myself up for excellence?
I see you're 25, which means you've probably been to school, held jobs, had relationships, depended on people and had them depend on you. If you think about what makes people excellent in any of those areas, you'll find the keys to excellence in EMS: competence, reliability, humility, unselfishness, dedication, curiosity, knowledge, experience, compassion, patience, maturity, judgment -- no doubt you could add to the list based on your own experiences. The more of those qualities you have, the better you'll do with bosses, partners, and patients.

Don't overthink excellence. It's been around you for years. You don't need books or ambulances to find it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We’ve allowed it in the past unfortunately so I implore, for the reasons that Jim stayed to wait till the end of class.

I love having students and interns. But I only have so much teaching ju ju and it’s tough to teach someone who has no foundation.