Thinking of moving to Brooklyn and will need a job

PDP

Forum Ride Along
I'm considering moving to Brooklyn some time around August 2011 and will need to find a job. I'm currently living in Arkansas and have been working here a little over 2 years now for a not for profit service. I have my NREMT-B , AR, and TX certifications.

I'm looking for potential places to work in the Brooklyn area, either on a truck or hospital setting. I prefer something that would pay the bills and still be able to go to school. I'd appreciate any help or ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nycraze03

Forum Ride Along
Apply for fdny. Amazing job. Start at 30k a year goes up like 3 k a year u work 5 days on 2 days off 5 on 3 off. The benefits are excellent and after 25 years your retired with a full pention. Definitely would rec. It

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
FDNY is by far one of the worst jobs you can have. great training, great potential, great resume builder and great benefits. but the good parts end there

pay sucks, traffic sucks, high cost of living, pay sucks, you will see maybe 6 patients in an 8 hour shift (and spend much of your shift stuck in traffic), posting on a street corner sucks, poor management/supervisors, and you will be treated like the red headed step child of FDNY. oh, and you won't make enough to live anywhere near NYC, and you just might qualify for food stamps.

BUT.....

if you want to move, make sure you have a job lined up before you move. and make sure you look outside of the NYC area, 12 hr shifts are definitely better than 8s, esp when you want a second job so you can afford your rent and food.

OP
OP
P

PDP

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, if 30,000 a year is the starting salary then I might aswell stay in Arkansas till I finish school. I cleared that this previous year, worked 12's, and the cost of living is way less than it would be in NY.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
NY isn't for you. $30,000 is about what you can make as an EMT. Either get your medic or pick some non EMS job.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If you're looking to do NYC 911 for the short term, only the hospitals will pay you a liveable wage. I used to work for one, and I still had to do OT and per diem work to get by. FDNY EMS isn't the best paying, but they'll mandate you to stay enough times that your OT will give you an OK check. It's very difficult to get into a hospital unless you have a hook. IMO, NYC EMS is only good for experience. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. You'll never be well of in NY on an EMT or medic salary, though. You'll just be bill to bill every month unless you want to work 80+ hours a week and never raise a family.

If money isn't an issue (you'll get a lot of OT in FDNY and you can always get a per diem gig in the privates), go for the experience. You can't beat it. You make it in NY, you'll make it anywhere.