Things to expect as a new EMT?

codywb

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone, first post.

Starting my first EMT job with a local ambulance company. I am excited and a little nervous as well! I have seen some other threads asking this similar question but felt some more input would be great. What is expected of me? Other than what I have been trained to know and perform, how could I successfully transition from my current customer service job to fast-paced 911 calls? I will be trained for the first month on 24 hour shifts for 911 calls, and then spend a good portion of the year on an IFT. I know this is standard procedure for most companies.

To be honest, the thing that worries me most at the moment (albeit a small thing) is taking a blood pressure on the ambulance lol. I remember on my ride along's it just seemed impossible to get a good read if at all. Very nerve racking, I feel like it could cause a bad opinion to be formed on me.

Any tips for starting out as a successful EMT? What are some critical areas that are expected of a newbie? Especially one starting out on 911 calls?

Happy new year!

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Any experience from customer service you will need to keep, whether it be thick skin for yourself or reassuring someone else. People for whom 911 services are called will rarely ever be in their best state of mind or decorum.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The most important thing is to be prepared and keep your cool. You're going to be seeing a lot of really bad trauma and saving a lot of lives, but that's when you forget things. You don't want to be in the middle of stopping an exsanguinating hemorrhage when you realize you left something you needed in the truck. Keep as much as you can with you. That's why you have cargo pockets and a belt. Load 'em up. And if you don't know what you're doing, at least fake your confidence. People don't want to see you scared when they're dying. Good luck.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
Remember this very important Stephen Covey quotation "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

In other words, listen carefully and actively, and react accordingly. Remember this, though, that what "you've been trained to do" is a extremely small fraction of what you'll really need to learn to do your job effectively. You'll make the best first impression by avoiding recalling all the ways you learned things in class or quick retorts like "I already know how", or "Of course, I know that.". Even if you do, don't make it seem like you know your job already.

Just be humble, ask for and accept feedback on your performance, and be a sponge.

We don't expect EMTs to know how to be an EMT on their first day in their first job. Accept that and just be eager to learn.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
The most important thing is to be prepared and keep your cool. You're going to be seeing a lot of really bad trauma and saving a lot of lives, but that's when you forget things. You don't want to be in the middle of stopping an exsanguinating hemorrhage when you realize you left something you needed in the truck. Keep as much as you can with you. That's why you have cargo pockets and a belt. Load 'em up. And if you don't know what you're doing, at least fake your confidence. People don't want to see you scared when they're dying. Good luck.
4f06c9468691719ea10bda02a93fcd30.jpg

Fry overlooks all your posts and sees all.

OP
OP
C

codywb

Forum Ride Along
Any experience from customer service you will need to keep, whether it be thick skin for yourself or reassuring someone else. People for whom 911 services are called will rarely ever be in their best state of mind or decorum.
Great advice. I was fortunate to get my customer service gig right out of the program as employment took some time. The experience definitely made a positive impact on how I react to situations.

Thanks for the insight! I'll keep in that in mind to stay thorough. How do you make your planning? Do you have a mental checklist on the things you'll need for any given call?

Remember this very important Stephen Covey quotation "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

In other words, listen carefully and actively, and react accordingly. Remember this, though, that what "you've been trained to do" is a extremely small fraction of what you'll really need to learn to do your job effectively. You'll make the best first impression by avoiding recalling all the ways you learned things in class or quick retorts like "I already know how", or "Of course, I know that.". Even if you do, don't make it seem like you know your job already.

Just be humble, ask for and accept feedback on your performance, and be a sponge.

We don't expect EMTs to know how to be an EMT on their first day in their first job. Accept that and just be eager to learn.
I was at the department of transportation and a seasoned EMT told me the same. She spoke of an EMT trainee that she couldn't wait to be rid of due to arrogance and the know-it-all attitude. Definitely keeping this in mind! Thank you.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
How do you make your planning? Do you have a mental checklist on the things you'll need for any given call?

Make a written list if you need to, but make sure you have a systematic, methodical workflow and stick to it all the time. That's the only way you'll learn, because perfect practice makes perfect. Everything else had been already covered, just remember that the school taught you the very basics and that no battle plan ever withstands the first contact. Your customer service experience is invaluable (I can relate since I had ~13 years of customer care behind me when I became an EMT) and puts you at a great advantage versus people who don't have that. Good luck and welcome to EMS.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Thanks for the insight! I'll keep in that in mind to stay thorough. How do you make your planning? Do you have a mental checklist on the things you'll need for any given call?
Although STXmedic prefers to use his cargo pockets to hold gear, I personally am a firm believer in using belt sheaths to hold my equipment. Much more comfortable, accessible, and it looks cooler too. However, It is also important to carry many different belt pouches in order to keep your gear organized and prevent confusion when on scene. And always carry at least 2 tourniquets at all times, an extra in case the first one does not successfully result in hemostasis.

Also, don't be surprised if your coworkers are facetious pricks, as that is unfortunately very common in the EMS community.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't forget to have two trauma shears at all times, a couple hemastats for those arterial bleeds that you will always see, and a window punch to get into all those cars that people keep getting into accidents in. Seriously just have a pen, watch with a second hand, and a positive attitude. The rest of the stuff you will need will be on the ambulance. After a while you will see what others carry, and what you actually would need. A stethoscope is a good thing to have of your own, but as a new EMT I would get comfortable with the ones on the ambulance first, they typically are pretty cheap and barely can be heard through, if you're able to use those then you can use most anything which is a good place to start.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

looks cooler too. However, It is also important to carry many different belt pouches in order to keep your gear organized and prevent confusion when on scene. And always carry at least 2 tourniquets at all times, an extra in case the first one does not successfully result in hemostasis.

Don't forget to have two trauma shears at all times, a couple hemastats for those arterial bleeds that you will always see, and a window punch to get into all those cars that people keep getting into accidents in.
In the same vein as these excellent answers, once you get hired and are checking your rig out at the beginning of shift, don't forget these vital checks: make sure the blinker fluid is topped off, make sure you have seasonal appropriate (i.e. summer vs winter) air in your tires, Oh, and make sure you fill a bag with exaust gas sample for the VSTs to check when it comes back from service ;)

Seriously just have a pen, watch with a second hand, and a positive attitude. The rest of the stuff you will need will be on the ambulance. After a while you will see what others carry, and what you actually would need.
But in all seriousness, this. The only thing I've ever bought myself is Littman Classic II SE...........be prepared to learn, the book rarely applies to the real world and your FTOs will most likely want you to do things differently than how it was in the classroom. Learn the location of all the equipment on your truck, know how to use it, learn your response area (at least main street arteries and how they connect to the hospitals etc). Be humble, realize your learning has only just begun, and most importantly, have fun and enjoy your work :)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
^Ah yes, gotta keep the ID-ten-T radio properly programmed. They used to make us go to the platoon sergeant to get the PRC-echoe-7 in order to program it properly

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Remember this, though, that what "you've been trained to do" is a extremely small fraction of what you'll really need to learn to do your job effectively.
I think this is the most important thing to take away from all this. You have learned some skills, a little bit of assessment technique, and a few appropriate questions to ask. Figuring out a) how you integrate these things and b) "what do I do next?" is the challenge.

Every encounter is different and it takes time to gain the experience needed to determine what the right course of action is. Despite what the book says, expedient transport to the hospital is not always the right answer.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Make sure you have seasonal appropriate (i.e. summer vs winter) air in your tires

Where do I obtain summer air? I just want a breeze's worth, to tousle my hair and gently stir the branches on my Christmas tree.

OP
OP
C

codywb

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the insight guys, much appreciated. I just ordered a lightweight littman se stethoscope which had really positive reviews from emt's/medics. I'm hoping it will address the issue I've had in the past of not being to hear very well in the ambulance!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for all the insight guys, much appreciated. I just ordered a lightweight littman se stethoscope which had really positive reviews from emt's/medics. I'm hoping it will address the issue I've had in the past of not being to hear very well in the ambulance!
It can't hurt, but practice is what is going to help the most. Ask your FTO or coworkers for tips to hear better when taking a blood pressure, there are many tricks that will help to improve hearing the sound.

OP
OP
C

codywb

Forum Ride Along
It can't hurt, but practice is what is going to help the most. Ask your FTO or coworkers for tips to hear better when taking a blood pressure, there are many tricks that will help to improve hearing the sound.
I agree. On a ride-along one EMT recommended that I pump the cuff to 20 and find the pulse that way to get the most accurate placement. Looking back my biggest problem was more than likely nerves as I found myself more focused on not seeming incompetent which turned out poorly lol. I will be sure to keep my ears wide open these upcoming months.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Are you primary EMS or will you be running with fire? ALS or BLS? This will help dictate what you need to bring when arriving on scene.

Don't ever, no matter how long you have been on, assume you know everything. There will always be something you can learn from others and experiences. Also don't be afraid to ask questions for clarification.

Accept criticism humbly.

Be fluid both on calls and off, even "routine" situations often differ from one call to the next. Protocols are written to treat all but we deal with individuals. As an EMT every partner you have will operate in different ways.

Become a BLS expert, even being the lowest level provider on most calls there should never be a time you are standing around. Get in there and get vitals, ask your questions and help your partner form their treatment decisions. Listen intently and compassionately, and treat accordingly even when you think something is BS.

Know your unit and your equipment.

Know YOUR limitations, lately their has been a lot of light brought to ptsd and depression in this line of work, recognize the signs and know what tools you have available for if/when you find yourself or a coworker dealing with something.

Most importantly enjoy yourself, even though there are times when your job runs you into the ground, enjoy the fact that what we get to do is pretty awesome.

OP
OP
C

codywb

Forum Ride Along
Will be with the fire department for calls! This is great advice, thank you! I just ordered and received a littman lightweight and after taking a couple blood pressures I am feeling much better about taking accurate vital signs.

As far as the burning out topic goes, are there any hurdles you've overcome that one should be watchful for?

I am excited, finishing up all my paperwork tomorrow and then the next day beginning some computer work, which I assume is related to operations, etc.