The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Hey everyone I just found these forums when searching around online. I did a bit of browsing and the forums seem very professional, also an awesome place to chat with others in pre-hospital care. Can't wait to talk to you all about numerous topics!

Well a little about me...
- I'm 23 years old.
- I live in Colorado.
- Current EMT student and am absolutely loving the class thus far.
- Planning on getting my IV as soon as I pass the National in December.
- I am currently a volly ff and am excited to be able to run the medical side of the job.
- Im currently debating either joining a private ambulance company after I get my cert or trying to join ski patrol since I love the mountains and snowboarding.

Talk to you all soon! :D

Welcome to EMTLIFE ipkes. I'd go for the ski patrol. Way cooler uniform.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Sorry it's hard to tell in that photo but it's the actual EMK from a plane with the list if contents on the side. Yes I've been a FA for 17 years, the EMT thing is a relatively new development.

You would have started roughly the same time I did!

Glad to know I'm not the only F/A with the crazy idea of going to EMT school :D

bigbaldguy

You would have started roughly the same time I did!

Glad to know I'm not the only F/A with the crazy idea of going to EMT school :D

There are a number of female FAs I work with who are currently paramedics and love it. The skills of each reinforce each other very well.

Heylove

Forum Probie
Welcome Atlas

I feel ya. Especially about the kids driving you crazy. I had five.

And I'm an "older" woman who decided to enter this insane career, too.

It's fun. Enjoy!

CPandzic

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone! (I should get used to saying y'all now though. Lol.)

I first started my career in EMS at Citrus College in Glendora, CA in 2009 and have been an EMT-B since then. I took some fire classes with no degree YET. I have been active in the field with a private ambulance service in Los Angeles, CA up until last month when my wife and I made the move to my dads in Gainesville, GA. I'm now looking for a job out here (which I just posted about in the employment section) and i'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to get my AEMT or P cert to be anyone out here, which I planned on doing anyway, but this is just forcing me to do so. I am seeking a career in the fire service and just enjoying life!

bigbaldguy

I first started my career in EMS at Citrus College in Glendora, CA in 2009 and have been an EMT-B since then. I took some fire classes with no degree YET. I have been active in the field with a private ambulance service in Los Angeles, CA up until last month when my wife and I made the move to my dads in Gainesville, GA. I'm now looking for a job out here (which I just posted about in the employment section) and i'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to get my AEMT or P cert to be anyone out here, which I planned on doing anyway, but this is just forcing me to do so. I am seeking a career in the fire service and just enjoying life!

Welcome to the forum CPandzic. Good luck with the job search. If you think getting a job as a B is tough in GA it's just as well you left Cali, I understand it's truly brutal there :)

CPandzic

Forum Ride Along
Welcome to the forum CPandzic. Good luck with the job search. If you think getting a job as a B is tough in GA it's just as well you left Cali, I understand it's truly brutal there :)

I lived close to Los Angeles and there...sadly anyone with an emt cert shouldnt have any issue getting a job. There are an enormous amount of mom and pop bls transport companies in the area and its a snap to get hired at any of em. It may not be the best job or a career but its a job. With cost of living through the roof, you can't survive there as a basic if your not a firefighter. Which is nearly impossible to get into with thousands and thousands applying. Which is why I moved here. More opportunities available in the fire service and better opportunities with county ems and others that aren't available in the LA area.

Also my wife and I love it in the south. The people, the country, and everything about it. It's a great place to settle down.

Last edited by a moderator:

RackCityEMT

Forum Probie
First this is an extremely amazing website it helped me answer some questions I had during late night study sessions. Im Dusty out of Fort Worth Texas I have just recently graduated EMT school, took NR, and got my state certification as an EMT-B. I am set to start with Medstar for there new hire academy in October and I would say I am extremely stoked about it. I am planning on going on to be a Paramedic and at some point would like to be a Licensed Paramedic.

bigbaldguy

First this is an extremely amazing website it helped me answer some questions I had during late night study sessions. Im Dusty out of Fort Worth Texas I have just recently graduated EMT school, took NR, and got my state certification as an EMT-B. I am set to start with Medstar for there new hire academy in October and I would say I am extremely stoked about it. I am planning on going on to be a Paramedic and at some point would like to be a Licensed Paramedic.

Well RackCityEMT shake off that dust and come on in :) welcome to the site.

RackCityEMT

Forum Probie
Thank you very much and can I PM you about a question regarding my brother?

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Hello!

Beginning EMT-B/Paramedic school in the Spring! Just soaking up all the info I can.... love the site btw!

bigbaldguy

Beginning EMT-B/Paramedic school in the Spring! Just soaking up all the info I can.... love the site btw!

Welcome to the site dalman97 :) good luck with school.

Aria

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the EMS world and just started my First Responder class a few weeks ago. I've been a CNA for a couple years and am very interested in the EMS system. I'm not sure if I'll become an EMT, but I love learning and when I found this site I was thrilled by the sheer amount of information and knowledgeable answers!

Another of my major interests is forensics. I'm still relatively young (I'll be 21 this year), and still relatively undecided as to "what I want to be when I grow up." :p

This website looks awesome and I can't wait to start reading some more of the threads :)

Thank you for the welcome!

bigbaldguy

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the EMS world and just started my First Responder class a few weeks ago. I've been a CNA for a couple years and am very interested in the EMS system. I'm not sure if I'll become an EMT, but I love learning and when I found this site I was thrilled by the sheer amount of information and knowledgeable answers!

Another of my major interests is forensics. I'm still relatively young (I'll be 21 this year), and still relatively undecided as to "what I want to be when I grow up." :p

This website looks awesome and I can't wait to start reading some more of the threads :)

Thank you for the welcome!

Hi Aria welcome to the site. EMS or forensics huh? Just FYI as a medic you'll spend a ridiculous amount of time watching CSI so there's that to consider :)

Sultan of Swing

Forum Ride Along
New (Again)

Hey y'all. I'm a brand new EMT-B about to start working for a private service, mostly IFTs but we do have several 911 contracts in the area and are the primary backup for the major municipal EMS service in town, so there's enough EMS calls to keep things interesting.

I was first certified as an EMT about 10 years ago. I took the cert course in college to fulfill their phys-ed requirement, it seemed a bit more useful than taking golf or bowling. But I never used the cert and let it expire. Now I'm looking for a new career and (I hope) EMS is it. Plan to work as a Basic for about a year before starting P school next fall.

The forums here seem to be (mostly) populated by professionals who want to provide the best patient care they can and are passionate about EMS. What better way to begin a career in the field than to "hang around" those types of providers?

bigbaldguy

Hey y'all. I'm a brand new EMT-B about to start working for a private service, mostly IFTs but we do have several 911 contracts in the area and are the primary backup for the major municipal EMS service in town, so there's enough EMS calls to keep things interesting.

I was first certified as an EMT about 10 years ago. I took the cert course in college to fulfill their phys-ed requirement, it seemed a bit more useful than taking golf or bowling. But I never used the cert and let it expire. Now I'm looking for a new career and (I hope) EMS is it. Plan to work as a Basic for about a year before starting P school next fall.

The forums here seem to be (mostly) populated by professionals who want to provide the best patient care they can and are passionate about EMS. What better way to begin a career in the field than to "hang around" those types of providers?

Hi Sultan of Swing welcome back to EMS, and welcome to EMTLIFE.

Aria

Forum Ride Along
Hi Aria welcome to the site. EMS or forensics huh? Just FYI as a medic you'll spend a ridiculous amount of time watching CSI so there's that to consider :)

Ha, well I don't watch many shows, but I might need to start watching CSI just to catch up with the rest of you!

RunningWolf

Forum Ride Along
LNA & EMT-B Looking to move from VT to Canada

Hi, My name is RunningWolf. I am looking for an EMS job in Canada (family in Quebec & Ontario).

I have a BS in Computer Science (IT), as well as my Secondary Ed (Math) license. After being laid off from teaching, I went back to school to study for what I originally planned - medicine/health. I took my pre-requisites for nursing school as well as a LNA course, acquiring a Nursing Assistant License. I have been working as a LNA for almost 1.5 years now. Most recently, I passed all my exams to receive my EMT-B certification. Next on the list is PT (Personal Training) certification.

I have a question pertaining to reciprocity between the US & Canada. What are the requirements to transfer my NREMT (EMT-B) certification to a Canadian (Ontario or Quebec) EMT/Paramedic certification?

Can someone please point me in the right direction about what I need to do next? Thank you!

:) RunningWolf

bigbaldguy

Hi, My name is RunningWolf. I am looking for an EMS job in Canada (family in Quebec & Ontario).

I have a BS in Computer Science (IT), as well as my Secondary Ed (Math) license. After being laid off from teaching, I went back to school to study for what I originally planned - medicine/health. I took my pre-requisites for nursing school as well as a LNA course, acquiring a Nursing Assistant License. I have been working as a LNA for almost 1.5 years now. Most recently, I passed all my exams to receive my EMT-B certification. Next on the list is PT (Personal Training) certification.

I have a question pertaining to reciprocity between the US & Canada. What are the requirements to transfer my NREMT (EMT-B) certification to a Canadian (Ontario or Quebec) EMT/Paramedic certification?

Can someone please point me in the right direction about what I need to do next? Thank you!

:) RunningWolf

Hi RunningWolf, welcome to emtlife. My understanding is that Canada has much higher standards for their EMS providers then the US so transferring a cert from here to there probably isn't going to happen but I'll let more experienced folks fill you in.