The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi, My name is RunningWolf. I am looking for an EMS job in Canada (family in Quebec & Ontario).

I have a BS in Computer Science (IT), as well as my Secondary Ed (Math) license. After being laid off from teaching, I went back to school to study for what I originally planned - medicine/health. I took my pre-requisites for nursing school as well as a LNA course, acquiring a Nursing Assistant License. I have been working as a LNA for almost 1.5 years now. Most recently, I passed all my exams to receive my EMT-B certification. Next on the list is PT (Personal Training) certification.

I have a question pertaining to reciprocity between the US & Canada. What are the requirements to transfer my NREMT (EMT-B) certification to a Canadian (Ontario or Quebec) EMT/Paramedic certification?

Can someone please point me in the right direction about what I need to do next? Thank you!

:) RunningWolf

I commented in your thread.

Hi RunningWolf, welcome to emtlife. My understanding is that Canada has much higher standards for their EMS providers then the US so transferring a cert from here to there probably isn't going to happen but I'll let more experienced folks fill you in.

It is not what I would call an easy process but it is possible.

ctemsnewbie

Forum Ride Along
In Hartford CT area - Prospective EMT-B trainee

Greetings! My name is Mark. I live in the Hartford CT area and will be enrolling in EMT-B training in January 2013. I am 52 years young. I have a BS and MS in computer engineering.This is a career change for me - from Corporate America to EMS. Looking forward to it.

I am down to two choices for EMT-B courses in my area. Not sure which one to pick - New Britain EMS Acadamy, or Hartford Hospital. Would be interested in any info....

Regards,
-mark

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Greetings! My name is Mark. I live in the Hartford CT area and will be enrolling in EMT-B training in January 2013. I am 52 years young. I have a BS and MS in computer engineering.This is a career change for me - from Corporate America to EMS. Looking forward to it.

I am down to two choices for EMT-B courses in my area. Not sure which one to pick - New Britain EMS Acadamy, or Hartford Hospital. Would be interested in any info....

Regards,
-mark

Hi Mark welcome to EMTLIFE and good luck on your new career.

Napper820

Forum Probie
Greetings and salutations, my name is Nikki. I am currently in the process of taking my NR for my EMT (practicals down, CAT to go). I am going into EMT as a second career. I currently work as a DONA Trained Labor Doula, so I can get my mom and baby fix. I am the mother of two small children and live in the Metro Atlanta area.

Happy to have found here! I will say I have found the right path, and I love talking with others about their journeys through this program/career.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Greetings and salutations, my name is Nikki. I am currently in the process of taking my NR for my EMT (practicals down, CAT to go). I am going into EMT as a second career. I currently work as a DONA Trained Labor Doula, so I can get my mom and baby fix. I am the mother of two small children and live in the Metro Atlanta area.

Happy to have found here! I will say I have found the right path, and I love talking with others about their journeys through this program/career.

Welcome to EMTLIFE :) we're happy you found here too. lol

I didn't know what a Doula was until about a month ago so for those who might not be familiar with the term.

A doula is a nonmedical person who assists a woman before, during, or after childbirth, as well as her partner and/or family by providing information, physical assistance, and emotional support. (from Wikipedia)

Nikki feel free to flesh this definition out.

Napper820

Forum Probie
Thank you! I had been lurking off and on since I started my AEMT program, and finally joined :D

You nailed it on doula. Big time emphasis on informed consent (sound familiar? ;) )

I am a resource for mom to help her look at and understand the benefits and issues with the choices at hand. And it amazes, yet doesn't surprise, how that plays out in what we do in EMS. We have a less formed relationship with our patient, as opposed to a long term relationship a doula has with a client.

I've been reading through exam prep threads to see if there was anything I was missing, now back to that, as well as my review before I head to bed!

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
I'm Tim, got my basic about 2 years ago while at college in Northern New York. I'm serving as the Chief of my campus squad, and recently started up with a squad back home on Long Island. I'm looking to eventually become a paramedic.

ladolcevita

Forum Ride Along
Hey, I'm "Dulce"! I've actually been lurking around the forums for a while, especially while I was studying for my EMT class and then the NREMT (actually thought I failed because it cut me off so early :unsure:).

A little about me-- I live in sunny Los Angeles, college grad (BS in Biology/Anthropology and minored in Spanish), and just taking a break from school (i.e. paying back loans :glare:) I actually did the whole Indiana Jones thing and was involved in Mayan archaeological excavations in a Central American jungle, getting viciously attacked by mosquitos and other creepy invertebrates, not to mention the territorial howlers and spider monkeys who would throw their poo at unsuspecting victims. It was great :lol:

Though I've always been interested in medicine, I actually became interested in the EMS side as an undergrad, but unfortunately, EMT classes were so not in my budget at the time. So now that I'm out of school, decided to go for it, and now I kind of wish I had done so sooner! Looking forward to learning lots!

CEVfuture

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,

My name is Pranav Mishra. I've been a volunteer EMT-B at Washington University in St. Louis for the past 3 years. I'm majoring in Biology, hoping to go to med school one day. I originally got my NREMT in Illinois and then applied for a Missouri license. In the future, I'm hoping at moving on to private ambulance companies as a part time job while I continue school.

-Pranav

onabemr

Forum Probie
Hey all,

I'm Tyler. I'm just beginning the process of learning how to be a medic, and I've some experience as a first responder from unpleasant security jobs and my training as an Ontario EMR (pro-tip for other Ontario residents: do not waste your time; if you want an EMR, do it out of province and get one people will care about).

Stumbled onto this forum a little while ago, having been lurking and enjoying the conversations and such. Lots to learn, and this place has been fantastic.

Cheers!

Achilles

Forum Moron
Hi all,

My name is Pranav Mishra. I've been a volunteer EMT-B at Washington University in St. Louis for the past 3 years. I'm majoring in Biology, hoping to go to med school one day. I originally got my NREMT in Illinois and then applied for a Missouri license. In the future, I'm hoping at moving on to private ambulance companies as a part time job while I continue school.

-Pranav

Welcome!
Bio is fun! Now that you're here you can help me w/ my punnet squares HW
Hey all,

I'm Tyler. I'm just beginning the process of learning how to be a medic, and I've some experience as a first responder from unpleasant security jobs and my training as an Ontario EMR (pro-tip for other Ontario residents: do not waste your time; if you want an EMR, do it out of province and get one people will care about).

Stumbled onto this forum a little while ago, having been lurking and enjoying the conversations and such. Lots to learn, and this place has been fantastic.

Cheers!
Yup it is a great place to learn, and for the peope that have more knowledge/ training, it's a great place to teach :)
Welcome!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey all,

Cheers!
Welcome
Glad to see another Canadian sign up.

onabemr

Forum Probie
Welcome
Glad to see another Canadian sign up.

:)

Which province are you in?

I'm trying to get some help to do my PCP program here in Ontario, but if I can't, I've got my eyes set on doing my EMR in Alberta. I'm excited either way, needless to say. I was kind of bummed at having to redo my EMR until I realized that it's twice as long in Alberta...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
:)

Which province are you in?

I'm trying to get some help to do my PCP program here in Ontario, but if I can't, I've got my eyes set on doing my EMR in Alberta. I'm excited either way, needless to say. I was kind of bummed at having to redo my EMR until I realized that it's twice as long in Alberta...

I am currently licensed in NB/NS,and in the process of licensing in AB/ BC.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hmm, one of the transfer attendants I work with used to work out that way. It's privatized out there, right?

The NB government took over the privates in late 2007. Ambulance NB is the only ambulance service. NS has EHS and I am not sure how much of a chunk the government has in it. They are the only ambulance service. Both are run/managed by medavie blue cross.(They are branching out and have some services in Ontario now)

onabemr

Forum Probie
The NB government took over the privates in late 2007. Ambulance NB is the only ambulance service. NS has EHS and I am not sure how much of a chunk the government has in it. They are the only ambulance service. Both are run/managed by medavie blue cross.(They are branching out and have some services in Ontario now)

Cool, I didn't know that.

onabemr

Forum Probie
I should amend my previous post, because it does a disservice to my teacher.

I did my EMR in Ontario and it was a very worthwhile experience. I learned a ton, and my instructor and his assistant were both awesome. I continue to see my instructor, actually. It was very valuable to me in terms of development. I only meant that the Ontario EMR is no more useful than the EFR for getting a job here, it'll let you work patient transfer and campus response, nothing else... and doesn't transfer out of province. Blech. But it was a great experience if you ignore employability.