The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
well i forgot to introduce myself. I am from Maine. I volunteer with Kennebunk Fire and Rescue. I am a lifeguard with addendum certifications to make me eligible to be a first responder. I begin my basic class tomorrow.

My dad was the first paramedic in the town where we live and the surrounding towns, and my mom was a critical care while she was in nursing school. My dad now sells medical equipment to hospitals, and my mom is a CRNA. Im looking to follow in my moms footsteps and go into nursing myself.

I swim year round, and I am going into my senior year of highschool. I love the puzzle a medical emergency presents and i love the adrenaline rush of a tone. I also love to help the people in my community and be part of something that I know is worthwhile.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Welcome to the forum swim. I have a lot of respect for life guards. I know it's not all sunbathing and playing in the sand :)

Swimfinn

Forum Crew Member
ah finally! i find people think youre stupid and blonde and dont know what you are doing, or they think you are more trained than you really are.

ex: i was dealing with a kid having a seizure in the water and the mother ws yelling at me to give the kid some valium. i called her out on that one. hard.

ex2: i told a guy that he smelled kinda drunk and he was acting kinda drunk. asked him if he had diabetes. he said yes. i told him i thought his bloodsugar was off. come to find out later he was hypoglycemic.

oh well. what are yah gonna do?

firedad31

Forum Ride Along
I've been in EMS for 20 + years just recently left the field for education. We'll see how the transition goes.

ChicKiddo

Forum Ride Along
Hio

Hi, I'm Whit.

Over the hill noob at 26. Just finished my Utah EMT, and AEMT certs. After years in the service industry, bartending, and busting my bum I feel like I've finally found something I actually like doing =).

abulldog

Forum Ride Along
hello

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I've been out of EMS for 18ish years and recently decided to volunteer again. Life got in the way the first time. Now that I am back in school for another medical field I decided to get back into it again. I have been lurking around here the last month or so trying to gain back information i might have lost.

SarahAus

Forum Probie
Hi everyone! I've just completed my first week of EMT training and am so excited! I was in the business world previously, and realised I couldn't handle a desk job anymore, and the medical field is where my place is. I planned to do my RN in a couple of years, but EMT training is already making me wonder if maybe I should pursue paramedic instead :)

Trek7553

Forum Probie
New and excited!

Hello,

I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I just had my first day of EMT-B class and I can already tell that I'm really going to enjoy it.

I'm currently employed full-time in the IT field. I'm hoping to be able to work part-time or volunteer in EMS once I finish the class. If I love it, I may consider getting my paramedic and making a career out of it.

I'm excited!

-Trek

WriterAJP

Forum Ride Along
Saying Hello

Hi, I am officially introducing myself. *s*

I'm a writer, not an EMT, but writers need to research, so here I am to research how EMTs handle low-priority situations such as I might use in my novel.

I'm a former teacher, now writer, budding watercolor artist, and recently-ordained priest. Sounds like a lot going on, but I'm oh-so-old....lol.

Anyway, hi!

bigbaldguy

I've been in EMS for 20 + years just recently left the field for education. We'll see how the transition goes.

Glad to have you firedad31. Always glad to have an experienced new member.

Hi, I'm Whit.

Over the hill noob at 26. Just finished my Utah EMT, and AEMT certs. After years in the service industry, bartending, and busting my bum I feel like I've finally found something I actually like doing =).

The customer service skills you picked up tending bar will serve you well in EMS but get ready for a pay cut ;)

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I've been out of EMS for 18ish years and recently decided to volunteer again. Life got in the way the first time. Now that I am back in school for another medical field I decided to get back into it again. I have been lurking around here the last month or so trying to gain back information i might have lost.

Lost? Most of it probably didn't exist 10 years ago :) lots of changes as of late. Glad to have you here.

Hi everyone! I've just completed my first week of EMT training and am so excited! I was in the business world previously, and realised I couldn't handle a desk job anymore, and the medical field is where my place is. I planned to do my RN in a couple of years, but EMT training is already making me wonder if maybe I should pursue paramedic instead :)

Nurse or Paramedic are both good choices. We have some of each on this site and some who are both so you've come to the right plave.

Hello,

I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I just had my first day of EMT-B class and I can already tell that I'm really going to enjoy it.

I'm currently employed full-time in the IT field. I'm hoping to be able to work part-time or volunteer in EMS once I finish the class. If I love it, I may consider getting my paramedic and making a career out of it.

I'm excited!

-Trek

Hey Trek :) Glad you could make it. You didn't happen to talk to a big bald guy today did you? He was in the process of butchering an IV arm at the time.

Hi, I am officially introducing myself. *s*

I'm a writer, not an EMT, but writers need to research, so here I am to research how EMTs handle low-priority situations such as I might use in my novel.

I'm a former teacher, now writer, budding watercolor artist, and recently-ordained priest. Sounds like a lot going on, but I'm oh-so-old....lol.

Anyway, hi!

Glad to have you padre. People around here can use all the prayers they can get ;)

On behalf of EMTLIFE welcome to the forum. Please look around and if you have any questions ask away that's what we're here for :)

Trek7553

Forum Probie
Hey Trek :) Glad you could make it. You didn't happen to talk to a big bald guy today did you? He was in the process of butchering an IV arm at the time.

Nope, must have been someone else! We're still just going over legal/ethical issues, haven't covered anything medical at all (just had the second class meeting). I'm doing it through a hospital in the Denver area.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Hi all :)

What a fabulous resource this site is, when I started researching EMT career info I had several specific questions and the handy-dandy search function here answered ALL of them. So thank you for answering my questions before I ever posted anything!

I was a flight attendant for 7 years, I lost everything career-wise with 9/11 and have spent the past 11 years as a stay-home mom. Now that my kids are older (and I'm pretty much certifiably insane from being home with them for so long) I'm ready to get back out in the working world again. Going back to flying is a no-go with the multi-day trips and with the plunge the commercial airline industry has taken I pretty much have no desire to work for the airlines ever again. A friend suggested I look into getting my EMT cert and I loved the idea but figured it would not be possible working the schedules with kids. Until I found this site and saw that doing part-time is actually possible!

I'm probably going to register with the Ivy Tech program (Lawrence campus, Indianapolis) starting in Jan.

Thanks for the info here! I look forward to being a part of your site :)

bigbaldguy

Hi all :)

What a fabulous resource this site is, when I started researching EMT career info I had several specific questions and the handy-dandy search function here answered ALL of them. So thank you for answering my questions before I ever posted anything!

I was a flight attendant for 7 years, I lost everything career-wise with 9/11 and have spent the past 11 years as a stay-home mom. Now that my kids are older (and I'm pretty much certifiably insane from being home with them for so long) I'm ready to get back out in the working world again. Going back to flying is a no-go with the multi-day trips and with the plunge the commercial airline industry has taken I pretty much have no desire to work for the airlines ever again. A friend suggested I look into getting my EMT cert and I loved the idea but figured it would not be possible working the schedules with kids. Until I found this site and saw that doing part-time is actually possible!

I'm probably going to register with the Ivy Tech program (Lawrence campus, Indianapolis) starting in Jan.

Thanks for the info here! I look forward to being a part of your site :)

EMT or F/A = same job different altitudes. I'm always amazed at the similarities between the two jobs.

Welcome to EMTLIFE :)

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
EMT or F/A = same job different altitudes. I'm always amazed at the similarities between the two jobs.

Welcome to EMTLIFE :)

Thanks for the welcome!

In training at AA we did a full week's worth of medical training. Full CPR (we had to perform it to standards though no card was issued to us), AED usage (those things are absolutely amazing), emergency childbirth, broken bone setting (stabilize with a magazine and tape it, hey we worked with what we had), etc. Certainly not EMT/Paramedic training by any means but a very good basic introduction to medical issues.

I've been puked on, spit on, pooped on, fallen on, had more drunks pissing and barfing on themselves than I ever though I'd see in a lifetime... all while being hurled through the sky at 500mph. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Thanks for the welcome!

In training at AA we did a full week's worth of medical training. Full CPR (we had to perform it to standards though no card was issued to us), AED usage (those things are absolutely amazing), emergency childbirth, broken bone setting (stabilize with a magazine and tape it, hey we worked with what we had), etc. Certainly not EMT/Paramedic training by any means but a very good basic introduction to medical issues.

I've been puked on, spit on, pooped on, fallen on, had more drunks pissing and barfing on themselves than I ever though I'd see in a lifetime... all while being hurled through the sky at 500mph. :)

So you already went through EMT training, then?

Actually I can honestly say my medical training during initial inflight training was more comprehensive by far then my basic class. Admittedly thas not saying a great deal.
The training F/As receive is at least equivelant to a EFR level and probably closer to a basic level. Major difference is we don't get taught how to take a
BP. FAs can also administer more medications believe it or not.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
First Responder training is a pretty good description of what we did.

There were 3 levels of "kits" onboard the planes. A very basic kit with bandaids and such, a First Aid Kit with burn gel, gauze, other assorted stuff like that and the FAA required EMK that was latched with a seal and if that seal was broken we had a LOT of paperwork to fill out.. It had medications, airways, other higher end medical stuff that we as F/As were NOT ALLOWED to touch under any circumstances, but we could give to an MD or a DO. And then fill out lots of paperwork afterwards.

It's been a while since I've gone through my books from class, I went through new-hire F/A class at American Eagle in 1995 and American Airlines in 2001! So the specifics of what exactly is in the different kits has vacated the brain. :) But I'll go look it up if anyone's curious, I still have all my training materials. I even used to teach new-hire & recurrent F/As at Eagle in 2000/2001.

Were you a F/A too, bigbaldguy? :)

ipkes

More than Active
Hey everyone I just found these forums when searching around online. I did a bit of browsing and the forums seem very professional, also an awesome place to chat with others in pre-hospital care. Can't wait to talk to you all about numerous topics!

Well a little about me...
- I'm 23 years old.
- I live in Colorado.
- Current EMT student and am absolutely loving the class thus far.
- Planning on getting my IV as soon as I pass the National in December.
- I am currently a volly ff and am excited to be able to run the medical side of the job.
- Im currently debating either joining a private ambulance company after I get my cert or trying to join ski patrol since I love the mountains and snowboarding.

Talk to you all soon! :D

bigbaldguy

First Responder training is a pretty good description of what we did.

There were 3 levels of "kits" onboard the planes. A very basic kit with bandaids and such, a First Aid Kit with burn gel, gauze, other assorted stuff like that and the FAA required EMK that was latched with a seal and if that seal was broken we had a LOT of paperwork to fill out.. It had medications, airways, other higher end medical stuff that we as F/As were NOT ALLOWED to touch under any circumstances, but we could give to an MD or a DO. And then fill out lots of paperwork afterwards.

It's been a while since I've gone through my books from class, I went through new-hire F/A class at American Eagle in 1995 and American Airlines in 2001! So the specifics of what exactly is in the different kits has vacated the brain. :) But I'll go look it up if anyone's curious, I still have all my training materials. I even used to teach new-hire & recurrent F/As at Eagle in 2000/2001.

Were you a F/A too, bigbaldguy? :)

:)
Sorry if it's huge I'm in class and will edit later.
Current as of July 2012.

f41e9395.jpg

bigbaldguy

Laminated & everything! :)

Sorry it's hard to tell in that photo but it's the actual EMK from a plane with the list if contents on the side. Yes I've been a FA for 17 years, the EMT thing is a relatively new development.