The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Hi guys, My name is Sean and I live in Los Angeles, CA. Up till now, I have just been a visitor reading posts and learning more about this industry. I just received my NR Status last week Thursday and now I am officially an NREMT-B!
YAY!! for me!

Now I can move forward and get a position somewhere in my area and hopefully add useful information here.

Welcome to the pack Forsakenwolf.

smokeater

Forum Crew Member
New to forum

Hello all. I am a firefighter/Emt in Alabama. New to the site and pretty new to the field, as I have only been on the job for 3 years. I have a few friends already on board who said it was a great resource and contains some great threads. Ive already jumped in and posted in a few threads, but thought I would stop in to introduce myself. I look forward to some great conversations. On another note, my department does not promote very often (have not offered promotion testing since I hired on) and they havent given merrit raises in over 5 years. So, considering how much I enjoy the carrer and my growing intrest in patient care, to ensure a vertical trend in my rank and my pay scale I have decided to obtain my Paramedic license. My goal is to one day work in flight mdeicine or be attached to a tactital team as a medic. Any info on how to achieve said goals would be appreciated. Lastly, I am testing for AEMT registry tomorrow at 2. First and foremost wish me luck. Secondly, does anyone know of a prep test site for AEMT. Dont mind paying but really dont want to spend $50 bucks for a moth subscription when I only need it for a day or so. (hopefully!) Anyway, glad to be here hope everyone is having a great day!

smokeater

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys, My name is Sean and I live in Los Angeles, CA. Up till now, I have just been a visitor reading posts and learning more about this industry. I just received my NR Status last week Thursday and now I am officially an NREMT-B!
YAY!! for me!

Now I can move forward and get a position somewhere in my area and hopefully add useful information here.

Congrats brother...wish you well in your carrer. You n the fire service or working for a private service?

danburyfirerescue

Forum Probie
marcus2011 thanks again for helping me out...

Aprz... Like Marcus said in NC volunteer firefighters are only required to have NFPA 1403 ... as far as my volunteer dept our Chief wants everyone to have their FF I & II cert and he also requires us to have our EMR training as well. Also about half of my station is EMT cert but it is not required by our chief. My dept is both fire and medical dept and 100% volunteer. My dept has also taken things to the next level and has formed a K-9 unit ( we have mountains and rivers running through our district) for search and rescue which I have joined that team as well. I have a two yr old German Shep. / shiba inu mix and she loves to work not only is she trained in search and rescue but our Capt is wanting to train her for cadaver (both on land and in water).

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
marcus2011 thanks again for helping me out...

Aprz... Like Marcus said in NC volunteer firefighters are only required to have NFPA 1403 ... as far as my volunteer dept our Chief wants everyone to have their FF I & II cert and he also requires us to have our EMR training as well. Also about half of my station is EMT cert but it is not required by our chief. My dept is both fire and medical dept and 100% volunteer. My dept has also taken things to the next level and has formed a K-9 unit ( we have mountains and rivers running through our district) for search and rescue which I have joined that team as well. I have a two yr old German Shep. / shiba inu mix and she loves to work not only is she trained in search and rescue but our Capt is wanting to train her for cadaver (both on land and in water).

I need to move over their. We just do fire and first responders on my fire department.

bigbaldguy

they said i should start with tell everyone a little about myself so here goes...

Got started in Law Enforcement in High School and became a Deputy after High School... (5 yrs, in FL)

Moved to NC and found out that NC wont take out of stat certs.

Lived here in NC for many years and wanted to get back involved in my community so I joined a Volunteer Fire Dept ( fell in love with it .. firefighting that is)

Been a Firefighter for 4 years now and I am also a K-9 Officer w/ my Fire Dept ( yes some Fire Dept's have K-9 units

Now i am working on my EMT's and will be taking my state exam on June 15, 2012

Welcome to the forum :)

For ease of reference your thread has been merged with this one.

CBGEM

Forum Ride Along
Hi, my name is Caren. I'm a brand new NREMT-I as of March. I was wondering if anyone knows if EMTs...at least at the Intermediate level, can be hired as Medical Assistants in physician offices....? I tried doing some internet research on the scope of practice for an MA and EMT-I seems like a higher level since MAs cannot do anything invasive. I am going to be working EMS part-time, but would prefer to work full-time in addition to that. at a physician office or other facility full-time. It's difficult to get a job as an EMT (med tech) at hospitals here. Does anyone have any information on this topic to share please.....as far as if EMTs can get jobs as Medical Assistants? Thanks in advance!

CBGEM

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I used test prep books from my local library. I did pay around $40 for a subscription to emt-national-training....for me, it was just doing a lot of practice questions....I've always been a very nervous test taker, so paying for it was still cheaper than failing and having to pay to retake the exam....it gave me peace of mind...that and the books from the library. Good luck!

EmtCle

Forum Ride Along
Hello, My name is Chance Im from Cleveland. I have been lurking on this forum for months now while I've been going to school for Basic. I took the test at 8 this morning possitive i failed. I hate testing. I got my results this afternoon and I'm an nremt-b. Thanks to everyone on this site i got alot of useful info from these forums that helped me.

Last edited by a moderator:

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Hi, my name is Caren. I'm a brand new NREMT-I as of March. I was wondering if anyone knows if EMTs...at least at the Intermediate level, can be hired as Medical Assistants in physician offices....? I tried doing some internet research on the scope of practice for an MA and EMT-I seems like a higher level since MAs cannot do anything invasive. I am going to be working EMS part-time, but would prefer to work full-time in addition to that. at a physician office or other facility full-time. It's difficult to get a job as an EMT (med tech) at hospitals here. Does anyone have any information on this topic to share please.....as far as if EMTs can get jobs as Medical Assistants? Thanks in advance!

Hello, My name is Chance Im from Cleveland. I have been lurking on this forum for months now while I've been going to school for Basic. I took the test at 8 this morning possitive i failed. I hate testing. I got my results this afternoon and I'm an nremt-b. Thanks to everyone on this site i got alot of useful info from these forums that helped me.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats to you both for getting your new certs! Hope to see you around elsewhere on the forum.

bigbaldguy

Hi, I used test prep books from my local library. I did pay around $40 for a subscription to emt-national-training....for me, it was just doing a lot of practice questions....I've always been a very nervous test taker, so paying for it was still cheaper than failing and having to pay to retake the exam....it gave me peace of mind...that and the books from the library. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum guys.

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
Hi all. My names Heather. I am a 29 year old military spouse and mom of 3. I have wanted to be a medic since I was 19. Babies and orders took priority though and my kids and my husbands career have always been first and foremost. Now it's finally my turn!! I will be starting EMT-B school next month and could not be more excited about it. I have done quite a bit of lurking here already and look forward to getting better acquainted with some of you and learning all I can from those of you who have been around awhile.

bigbaldguy

Hi all. My names Heather. I am a 29 year old military spouse and mom of 3. I have wanted to be a medic since I was 19. Babies and orders took priority though and my kids and my husbands career have always been first and foremost. Now it's finally my turn!! I will be starting EMT-B school next month and could not be more excited about it. I have done quite a bit of lurking here already and look forward to getting better acquainted with some of you and learning all I can from those of you who have been around awhile.

Welcome to the forum as you know this site is great for EMT's and Medics and anyone else who wants to learn more about prehospital emergency care

Notown

Forum Probie
Hi everyone, my name is Mike & im a EMTb. Im 27yo and live in Northern Nevada. My original life plan was to become a police officer. But a few major life events forced me to rethink that plan. Still, I wanted a career where I can help my community and provide for my family. The EMS field was the perfect fit for many of my desires in lifestyle and career path.

Chaney3000

Forum Ride Along
Hello All

Hello everyone. I'm KC from Alabama. Just took the National Registry exam for EMT-Basic. Plan on pursing Paramedic certification.

Forsakenwolf

Forum Ride Along
Congrats brother...wish you well in your carrer. You n the fire service or working for a private service?

Currently I am trying to get a shoe in the door. Ventura county, CA doesn't have many openings outside Medic right now. So I'm going to get the LA expanded scope cert so I can try LACO.

Quackers

Forum Probie
Hello, I'm Cody and currently I'm a volunteer firefighter/first responder going to Basic school this fall. I'm also in the national guard (shipping to basic wednesday) as a cannon crew member. I finally registered for the site after lurking for about two months.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome Cody and all of our other recent sign-ups.

Planet Green

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone! I'm Parker, I graduated high school a couple years back, I have just recently considered joining the EMT field, and am trying to enroll in some classes right now in my home town. I've been reading a little about it and I'm excited to learn everything I can and eager to help with what I can.

bigbaldguy

Hi everyone! I'm Parker, I graduated high school a couple years back, I have just recently considered joining the EMT field, and am trying to enroll in some classes right now in my home town. I've been reading a little about it and I'm excited to learn everything I can and eager to help with what I can.

Welcome to to EMTLIFE planet green. We look forward to your input.