The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

AK_SAR

Forum Crew Member
Hi,

I'm AK_SAR, posting from Anchorage, Alaska. My training level is EMT-1, OEC, and WFR. EMT-1 is the same as EMT_B, we just call it a different name here, don't ask me why. My experience has been mostly ski patrol and volunteer SAR.

Jarrod

Forum Ride Along
Hello

I'm Jarrod from Guilford County, NC. I just finished up my EMT-B and I'm starting my associates in EMS in a couple of weeks. I read a few threads on here and figured I'd join.

Leafmealone

Forum Probie
Im Leafmealone, I became an EMT-B back in May. I run with a volunteer agency that does strictly 911. I have been in EMS for over a year now, and on my first ride along I caught a full code 20 minutes in, and decided that this was what I wanted to do. I'm not a code junkie, or a trauma nut, and am in the business for the sole fact of helping people. Like everyone else, I still have a lot to learn, and hope that by being here it will help not only to teach me more, but to have a good place to share stories and whathaveyou.

depri

Forum Probie
Hey, everybody. Name's depri (pronounced deh-pree for those who aren't sure :p), as you can see. Finished up my EMT-B MS certification last week (7/28/11) and am getting ready to take my NREMT exam next Tuesday, so fingers crossed there.

Spent six years in JUCO and University (AA-Accy; BBA-MIS) and could not get a job ANYWHERE, so I decided to go back for EMT, something I had really wanted to do since I was 8...ish years old. Kind of floated around the forums during my class this past summer, and thought I'd join the EMT community.

Well, that is all...for now.

lizzOmatic

Forum Ride Along
hiiii :)

Hi everyone,
I've been addicted to this site for like 2 months. I start my EMT basic classes Sept 29 and I am excited. I live in St. Clair Shores Michigan, I'm 22 and i am planning on persuing a full paramedic career. I am kinda bad at introducing myself or talking about myself period lol. Excuse any typos I might make as I am using my phone and the auto correct is very sneaky.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
Hi all

I'm an ambulance officer with St Johns in Perth, Western Australia. I'm in my third year of my bachelor of paramedical science, I've been working full time on road for 18 months, and I have just over 12 months until I graduate/qualify as a paramedic. This is roughly equivalent to EMT-P or ALS, depending on where you work.

Lanfear

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone..

Just finished my EMT-B class & took practical... Have NYS test on 8/18/11 and then I can start. I've worked in the medical field for 15+ years, but suffer from boredom, as I have friends who are Fire & EMS they gently suggested that this might be a direction/new career path I might want to consider...after my ride a longs I was convinced!!! Can't wait to start!!!

I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks.
Winston Churchill

kojoff

Forum Ride Along
Hi.

Kojoff... from Texas. Firefighter/EMT with a small town FD.

Stumbled on this site while roaming around.

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
Intro

Hello one and all.

After 4 years as a member, I decided to actually start posting. I started my career in EMS with a community college EMT-1A course in 1991. I worked as an EMT-1 from 1991-1995. During that time I started my Paramedic program from 1993-1995. Licensed Paramedic from 1995-present, however my last clinical practice was in 2005. I have worked city, and rural EMS in a small mountain community. I have also done both ground and fixed-wing ambulance. Worked both private and public sectors. At one point held all the usual alphabet certs that Paramedics acquire, to include PALS instructor.

Did some contracting in the Middle East. After that I wanted stability, great benefits and every holiday off known to man, so I now work for the Department of Justice, non-EMS related.

My plan is to contribute where I can, help those who want it, and learn from those around me.

I miss my old career every single day. It is the best job in the world. The times were good, and the times were bad, but it is the best ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tag

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone! Been lurking on this board for a little while and decided to finally join.

I've been working as an emt for about 6 months, I originally went to school to do nursing, took an EMT-B course along the way and really enjoyed it and eventually I am interested in becoming a paramedic.
Now that I have been exposed to the EMS world, I am having a hard time convincing myself to go back to school for nursing and get stuck working inside a hospital all day!

SKY

Forum Ride Along
Hey Im sky i'm an new EMT-b ( I've been certified since june). i am currently going to college and looking and looking to start a career in EMS as a paramedic. I'm currently located in California

JEFFA

Forum Ride Along
Emt

Hello, I've been an EMT since '84... still feels like an honor to help out. Happened on this site when I was trying to figure out if there was an accepted definition of "mechanical fall". turns out there isn't. anyway I'd like to find that conversation. any help appreciated.

RegganCrowe

Forum Ride Along
Hello

Hey everybody.
Im in Michigan. 27 years old. Hoping to start EMT-B in September on a path to Paramedic. Im dealing with the frustrations of finding a way to pay for it. Researching available financial aid through Michigan Works. I walked into their office today to be met by a rather rude woman who kept interrupting my questions, eventually telling me that there was no money available, but i can waste my time applying anyway. Though i am discouraged with how to pay for this i have not exhausted all avenues. I think i will register for classes anyway and figure out how to pay for it later. I may have to wait for winter classes, but im so anxious. Ive flirted with this career path for years, but have never felt more like its time then right now. Nice to find a place to come and learn from the fist hand experience of others. All input welcome.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I just finished my first semester of nursing school today! So glad its over. Now I have a two week break before I start again. It was a tough semester, a few of my friends didnt make it so next semester will kind of suck. Our pharm class dropped a lot of people. The class average for final grades was an 80 and 78 is failing. (I owned the class and got a 92 :beerchug:) Not to brag, well kinda haha

klipps1987

Forum Ride Along
Me

My name is Kyle I am 23 years old and will be starting my EMT-B class on the 26th at UCLA. Want to become a paramedic firefighter. I have 2 and a half years on a volunteer hand crew and got to be apart of some amazing things. The gap fire in 07 Santa Barbra!

Calichic

Forum Probie
Hello:)

Hello,
My Name is Stephanie and I am a 34 yr in San Diego Ca
I am at the mid term portion of EMT-B. I also just graduated as an M.A.
I have 2 girls:) and wanted to change careers. I had always been interested in the medical field. But life has its funny ways of doing things.
I am making a career change from celebrity events, which I am very tired of.
I hope to become a nurse or paramedic. I am taking my combi and kings airway class on Sept 1 so excited for that :D
Look forward to meeting you all and any advice for a soon to be (hopefully) EMT-B would be greatly appreciated
Also any tips for the scenarios?
Thanks
Stephanie

kpr24

Forum Probie
Greetings

Hi All,

I'm an almost-40 guy with a marketing communications background who is considering a career change. I want to do something hands-on that helps people.

I earned my EMT-B card a month ago and am starting to look for work in Massachusetts. Any suggestions on companies and the profession are welcome.

Thanks.