The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

taves85

Forum Ride Along
Hi ALL.

I'm Taves85. I just became an EMT-B a week ago and I stumbled onto this site while searching for an ambulance company that's hiring. I live in San Diego and I am excited about starting my path toward becoming a firefighter-medic! Still a long way to go. Great site btw!

mintygood

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone,
My name's Sam, I'm 20 years old and I'm taking a year off of college to get my EMT! Class starts on tuesday :D

Empress Leo

Forum Probie
New to the game

Hello, life-savers! Obviously I'm new to the boards and also to the study of EMS. I just started a class about 2 weeks ago and will finish in December. I'm really forward to doing something that actually matters (I currently work in retail) and learning about the functions of the body. I took a medical terminology and nursing class in my junior year of HS (1999-2000) so I'm hoping that it'll be easier for me to pick up all this stuff than if I never had any kind of exposure to the complicated jargon that is hospital speak. Wish me luck!

nhlhawksbabe

Forum Ride Along
Crisis Manager?

Hey all, I'm Lesli. I worked 23 years with the Postal Service, but when I got breast cancer for the second time, I did the midlfe crisis thing and changed careers. WHile waiting on a spot in nursing school, I took my EMT-B and started working a an ER tech. This is my second quarter in, and I already realize that even though I'm doing great academically, I do NOT love nursing school the way I loved EMS. So, next month I'm going back for my P-card instead. I hae a younger brother who's been in FF/EMS for 25 years, and a teenage son in Basic school as we speak, so maybe there's a gene at work somewhere...

medicman90

Forum Crew Member
Hi there!

I'm a fresh EMT-B in Virginia and I'm working on getting turned over as a lead in my volunteer department!

NorCal

Forum Crew Member
FNG here.

I'm new to the forum so I'm just checking in. I'm an Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran and a former civilian Police Officer. I was laid off so I decided to use up my GI Bill and I am currently a senior in college. I am taking the first responder course, but I haven't make up my mind if I want to proceed any further and go after the EMT-B.

clint_white

Forum Ride Along
hey

hi, im a newbie to the site, also im a volunteer firefighter, will be done with EMT-I in december and taking NREMT in jan.....anything else lol by all means ask,,

yummymummy

Forum Ride Along
yummymummy

sorry guys i posted my intro on some oneelses post (not very nice now was it):blush:
anyway let me start again, im a parmedic, living and working in Ireland and ive been in the job for 13 years now.
Looking forward to meeting and greeting ye all:rolleyes:

ERMedic

Forum Probie
Hey, new to this site and it seems pretty cool. I've been lurking the past few nights at work and seems like a good crowd on here so I figured I'd join in! Been in EMS since I was 15, getting my EMT at 16, then went to paramedic school straight out of highschool and graduated at 19. I've been working as an ER medic/tech since I graduated medic school and work on the rig parttime. Glad I joined this site, looking forward to talking on these forums!

RDunn

Forum Ride Along
Level of EMS? EMT-B and currently in Medic school
Age you were when you first started EMS - 29
How long in EMS ~0
What type of service -
Future education plans - Not sure, just trying to survive medic school

i have been working for a company that cleans up haz-mat for the past 10 years. the money is good, but i was looking for a change.

Macgyvermedic

Forum Ride Along
Noobie from Michigan

Hello all.
I guess I should get the formals out of the way.

Employer: private sector in Michigan.
Education/Certs:EMT-P, NREMT, CCT, WALS, SRT/SWAT, BS BIO-Med with minor in physics and chemistry.
Endeavors: Paramedic Practitioner.

I happened to stumble upon this site checking out an app on my iPhone, Tapatalk. This seems to be an excellent source / resource for all aspects that define EMS today.

Please stop by and say hello over @ www.ASAP51.com and check out our vision for the future of EMS.

Thanks,

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Please stop by and say hello over @ www.ASAP51.com and check out our vision for the future of EMS.

Obviously the time has come for a complete re-structuring of EMS, and in my opinion it starts from the ground up and that means us. You’ve identified a lot of that ground through your Divisions section, yet, I think you’re missing an important element.

But let me tell you why I won’t sign up just now.

Okay looking (bare bones) site; nice concept, but who is “we”? Looks like a one-person gig asking for 25 buck sign-up fee so he can get some more people on board. I want to know who are the great minds I’m joining. Not enough to justify spending a fee, from appearances. You’ve presented a good concept, one which is specifically targeted to the US, though not adverse to using other systems as models, but before you start charging to be a part of the grand experiment which is already going on for free with EMS 2.0 ( – how are you different or aligned?) I think you need a lot more content (and of a very much more specific nature than this site, for example).

I also think you’re missing what could very well be the largest stumbling block to moving EMS into a real profession. It is a transient’s profession today because people burn out left and right without any back up to prevent them from sliding off the edge. If you’re going to do it right, you need to add “Well-being” as one of your divisions.

…and, it wouldn’t hurt if you helped us get to know you a bit better first.

AND I am very much looking forward to hearing more! Best of luck!

slloth

Forum Crew Member
Just passed the NREMT and am looking for a job.

My next goal is paramedic school. I live in the San Francisco bay area. I am very interested in EMS and look forward to learning a lot and contributing when I can.

mdcotten

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone. My name is Misty, I'm 21 years old and just starting out in EMS. I start BLS classes on Thursday and can't be more stoked about it. I have run a few calls with my department so far and there is nothing like it (as you all know). I can't wait to get certified and "get my hands dirty" so to speak. :)

Have a great day all!

Coco

Forum Ride Along
Hi!

My name is Cornelia (called "Coco"), I'm female and 28 years old and I'm from Germany. Here I work as a Paramedic. I don't know how it relates to EMS, EMT and those other terms that are used.

I will not write too much here, my english isn't good enough for that, but I like to look beyond my own nose to see how other countries and ambulances are working.

If anyone wants to know more just ask.

MylesC

Forum Probie
Just passed the NREMT and am looking for a job.

My next goal is paramedic school. I live in the San Francisco bay area. I am very interested in EMS and look forward to learning a lot and contributing when I can.

San Fran?
Did you goto the SFPA for your EMT - b?

MylesC

Forum Probie
Hi Everyone. My name is Misty, I'm 21 years old and just starting out in EMS. I start BLS classes on Thursday and can't be more stoked about it. I have run a few calls with my department so far and there is nothing like it (as you all know). I can't wait to get certified and "get my hands dirty" so to speak. :)

Have a great day all!

Congrats on starting school.
Its a beautifully messed up world out there and someone needs to clean it up

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hey! My name is Robby and I am 20, 21 in october! I have been an inactive basic for two years :( Due to no companies around me employing anyone under 21. I am currently in an EMT-I/85 class through our local company and am hoping to be able to find a job when I am finished.

After a few years of experience I want to go to medic school and hopefully land a job as a FF/Medic somewhere!

yyc_ranger_4x4

Forum Probie
Hey all....thought I'd say hello. My name is Scott, and I just got my EMR (EMT-B) certificate. I will be heading to write the Alberta College of Paramedics exam in November so I can actually practice as such.

Right now I'm still working my full time job, which unfortunately has no use for my EMR cert, but am looking at upgrading to an EMT cert in the new year and changing careers to something that has interested my for many years. I grew up with the emergency services, and have taken a bunch of safety, high angle rope access/rescue courses, fire courses, etc. Gotta follow the opportunities that present themselves...

Shredster

Forum Ride Along
Names Rachel Firster, 20 y/o from southern California. I have my emt-b right now. Working for ift company called priority one. Did one season of ski patrol and going to do another one this season. I am going to be a firefighter paramedic with hopes of becoming a flight medic after some years of experience.