The Gun Thread

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Both. It's a long story about why I lack an AR, but someone broke into my truck at work in July and stole my Canik so it's a tough decision
Caniks are sweet. A little flashily styled for my personal taste, but I definitely appreciate them.

IMHO, everyone should own at least one autoloading handgun and at least one carbine or shotgun - and regularly train with them.

However, if you can only afford or (for some nutty reason) only want to own one, the priority should definitely be a pistol. For the simple fact that you are probably more likely to have the pistol with you if you ever have the misfortune to need to use a gun defensively. Also, they say that pistol skills transfer to long guns better than the other way around, so training with a pistol is possibly a higher yield activity than training with your carbine. And pistols are cheaper to feed, at least if you are talking about 9mm.

Being really skilled with a pistol and having it with you as much as possible is far better than having a nice collections of AR's that you rarely train with and/or never have with you.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
This is an EMS forum, not a gun forum. In the past threads about guns have not ended well and resulted in some members receiving forum vacations.
So, we can't discuss guns even though armed medics hasn't been a discussion for quite a long time?

MackTheKnife

-_- For my state:

"Acquiring any firearm within the State requires a permit from your county Chief of Police. You must be 21 years old and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien. You will be fingerprinted and photographed for a criminal background check, and you must affirm by affidavit your mental health and lack of drug or alcohol addiction or criminal background. You authorize release of your medical history and give the name, phone number, and address of your doctor (if any). You are not required to have a doctor or provide a medical clearance. Your doctor is required to release any mental health information pertinent to your acquiring firearms. A drunk driving record, history of serious psychiatric diagnosis, a medical cannabis prescription, or any treatment for alcohol or drug abuse, will result in denial of your permit. A letter from a physician will be required to establish that you are “no longer adversely affected.”
You must wait 14 days for your permit. Permits not picked up by the 6th day after the 14-day waiting period will be voided. Applicants will have to reapply and go through another 14-day waiting period.
Individual permits to acquire handguns are required for each transaction and must be used with 10 days of issue. A permit to acquire shotguns and rifles is good for one year from the date of issue for any number of transactions."

Sucks to be in Havana, I mean Hawaii.

MackTheKnife

MackTheKnife

MackTheKnife

How many here drill and train with exertion being part of you routine? Pushups to exertion then shoot, buddy carry 100 yards then shoot, etc.
Shooting from various positions?... kneeing, cornering, on your back, secondary draw, non-dominant hand firing?
Mag reloads? Clearing malfunctions? Go to secondary?

Just popping a few rounds isn't enough.

When it goes down you are going to be under extreme stress, adrenaline pumping, and it will be over way too fast.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?
I teach this.

MackTheKnife

Does anyone out there have extensive experience with both a P365 and a G26 Gen4? If so, what are your likes and dislikes?
P365 is a great gun. Only problem is it's near impossible to fully load the 12 round mag. The G26 is also great and has a better trigger. You can also swap out easily to a 3.5lb trigger unlike the SIG.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So, we can't discuss guns even though armed medics hasn't been a discussion for quite a long time?
I guess in digging up a two year old post to comment on, you either missed or ignored my next comment a few posts later:
I'm well aware of that. My response was meant as more of a warning about what will happen if this thread follows the other gun threads we've had. For now I see no problem with this thread which is why I did not lock it after my post.

Last edited:

MackTheKnife

I guess in digging up a two year old post to comment on, you either missed or ignored my next comment a few posts later:
No digging up an old post. This popped up in my email with the recent posts.

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
P365 is a great gun. Only problem is it's near impossible to fully load the 12 round mag. The G26 is also great and has a better trigger. You can also swap out easily to a 3.5lb trigger unlike the SIG.
The G26 has a better trigger than the P365? The G26 is known for having a mediocre (at best) trigger while the P365’s is frequently praised for being so crisp.

And I have no problem at all loading 12 rounds into my mags, even when they are brand new.

MackTheKnife

The G26 has a better trigger than the P365? The G26 is known for having a mediocre (at best) trigger while the P365’s is frequently praised for being so crisp.

And I have no problem at all loading 12 rounds into my mags, even when they are brand new.
The Glock's trigger is lighter (5.5-6.5 lbs) than the SIG. The SIG's trigger is crisp, but heavier and stiffer. The trigger reset on the Glock is quicker. Also, there are drop-in triggers (3.5 lbs), extended mag releases, slide stops for Glocks, not so with SIG's.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
The Glock's trigger is lighter (5.5-6.5 lbs) than the SIG. The SIG's trigger is crisp, but heavier and stiffer. The trigger reset on the Glock is quicker. Also, there are drop-in triggers (3.5 lbs), extended mag releases, slide stops for Glocks, not so with SIG's.
I don’t know trigger weights, but my p365 trigger feels immensely more smooth than my Glock triggers. It’s much easier for me to hit precision shots with my p365 than even my g17 because of that trigger pull..

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don’t know trigger weights, but my p365 trigger feels immensely more smooth than my Glock triggers. It’s much easier for me to hit precision shots with my p365 than even my g17 because of that trigger pull..
Frame size and grip prolly have something to do with that as well.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Frame size and grip prolly have something to do with that as well.
For me, the p365 compared to my Glock 43, the sig blew the glock out of the water. People (myself included) typically shoot full size guns like the glock 17 better than subcompact guns. My comment was that I can shoot my p365 as good as (if not better) than my g17, even at tempo..

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
For me, the p365 compared to my Glock 43, the sig blew the glock out of the water. People (myself included) typically shoot full size guns like the glock 17 better than subcompact guns. My comment was that I can shoot my p365 as good as (if not better) than my g17, even at tempo..

I've had my 365 a little over 3 years now and I have come to the conclusion that I'm in need of a bigger frame. No matter how soft or firm I grip the gun or how high of a purchase I get on it, it almost feels too small for me.

I'm waiting for sig to start selling the comped slides. That'll be when I upgrade and thats why I also like the sig 365/320 platform. Wanna get a bigger or smaller frame? Easy, just pull out the fire control group and swap it.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I've had my 365 a little over 3 years now and I have come to the conclusion that I'm in need of a bigger frame. No matter how soft or firm I grip the gun or how high of a purchase I get on it, it almost feels too small for me.

I'm waiting for sig to start selling the comped slides. That'll be when I upgrade and thats why I also like the sig 365/320 platform. Wanna get a bigger or smaller frame? Easy, just pull out the fire control group and swap it.
Have you tried the 365xl?