The dark side of ems

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I am sick and tired of going to court for ems related B.S. Just got another last minute subpoena to appear for a B.S. fender bender neck pain call. Yep, another low life wants money. It happened 4 years ago and I don’t remember a G.D. thing about it. I’m a very busy person and now I’ve got to go up and sit in court all day again. Sometimes this job sucks.

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
from what I've heard, most cases like that last about 15 mins (as long as there wasnt anything too grossly messed up on the treatment side of things). The judge basically tells them to shut up, and be thankful to be there, and reminds them again that priority is always life over limb...
Good luck with the case though...people can be real leeches, trying to suck money out of everything possible..

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Allow me to introduce to you the United States method of law and order. These cases take all day because they make you get there early and wait while every other dirt bag is having their day in court. You don’t get to watch the case like on tv either. You sit in a room and wait for them to call your name.

MedikErik

Forum Crew Member
Don't even get me started. That's why I love having a 3rd or ride along in the back of the unit; much less likely to get sued if you have a witness who will back you up on what happened in the back of the unit.

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
I am sick and tired of going to court for ems related B.S. Just got another last minute subpoena to appear for a B.S. fender bender neck pain call. Yep, another low life wants money. It happened 4 years ago and I don’t remember a G.D. thing about it. I’m a very busy person and now I’ve got to go up and sit in court all day again. Sometimes this job sucks.

Could be worse, you could be called for jury duty.;)

MedikErik

Forum Crew Member
Not sure if this is true in your state, but I believe nationwide police/fire/etc. are exempt from jury duty if they so choose to be.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Not sure if this is true in your state, but I believe nationwide police/fire/etc. are exempt from jury duty if they so choose to be.

Not true! I wished, they are usually only exempt if they were on the case being tried. In fact, some attorneys rather prefer you to be on the jury. I know of several LEO, firefighters, etc. that has been different types of jury trials. I know of a firefighter that was on the jury, of a trial that one of their engines ran into a building and injured people, they kept him on the jury.

Guardian, I suggest if it is civil law suit, I would ask for a high $$$ witness fee. I know, that they can subponea me, but my memory is vague at low costs (they are aware of what it costs). I usually charge at least $500+ per testimony. More, if I am retained and in-detail testimony.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
So, we are upset that the powers that be don't see value in what we do. We wish that the government would better fund EMS. We realize that this all happens through the political process, but we don't want to step up and do our part when asked?

Okay, its a pain to be called in to testify when someone wants to sue. I'll agree to that. But, if I'm unfairly charged with negligence, abandonment, or some other B.S. I sure hope those who could witness in my defense have a better attitude.

We can say that we'll testify in a real or legitimate case, but according to our legal system, the only way to determine if it is a 'real' or 'legitimate' case is to try it before a jury of our peers. But according to the posts I'm reading, we don't want to do that either.

So who is protecting our rights folks? Who is speaking for us?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The problem I have with it is that many are civil law suits, that will sue 5 -10 years afterwards. The usual amount I have seen is $3.00 in general to sit all day on a hard bench, then to never testify; because they "settled out".

Sorry, I am a professional and should be treated and paid as such. If it is a legal case, that is different, and yep... I will get my $3.00

By me charging and not participating does not lower my profession, rather the opposite. Trust me, I have been an expert witness numerous times and many of the other professions costs thousands and thousands of dollars. They protray that their profession is that.. a profession, with such should be compensated as one.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are called by one attorney or the other to testify on behalf of their client, they will pay you. This is a fee arranged prior to the testimony and generally involves you writing something up for them to be used in pre-trial meetings, or arbitration. If you have an arrangement with local attorneys you can do quite well as 'expert witness'. The going rate is generally 1.5x your wage and includes time spent preparing for the testifying.

My 'day job' is in an engineering firm and we do this pretty frequently. But, if you wait until you are called by the court, you get little or nothing. The legal system is frustrating, but we can't let it drive us away from participating.

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
I have been involved with several court actions related to EMS.
For anyone contacted by a lawyer, This quote should never happen;

It happened 4 years ago and I don’t remember a G.D. thing about it.

Before i will answer even the the date, I request from our administrator the run report. That is a basic minimum.
Then, you inform the attorney that you will testify as an expert wittiness. If you don't, you might just as well stay home, you will be treated like a @#%$#.
Most cases i have been called to testify settled O of C.

njcoldone

Forum Ride Along
My best suggestion is that since you will be under oathe your best bet is to respond as appropriate as possible. It is always easy to respond with an off the cuff remark but in your own defense you may have some recall after reviewing the pcr or other documents referring to this particular incident. Good luck