The Code Green Campaign

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Code-Green-Campaign/735608566472851

So recently there's been a large, vocal, group on facebook that has wanted to do something about the fact that there have been a large number of EMS provider suicides. It seems like in EMS, we are expected to suck it up and deal with whatever is bothering us. Well, several of us want that to change. I invite everyone to go to the facebook page linked above and take a look. We invite anyone to anonymously share any stories of depression or other psychiatric illness to show other providers that they aren't alone.

Suicide prevention is a special topic very close to me, and I felt that this needed to get more exposure.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Great page!

I don't know if you're doing it or not, but on a similar page for dispatchers, they try to have an admin on about 90% of the time to assist posters. Most of them are experienced veterans with some sort of CISM training or something else.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
How do you post anything anonymously on Facebook? cause unless you start a whole different person on facebook; everyone will know who you are?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
How do you post anything anonymously on Facebook? cause unless you start a whole different person on facebook; everyone will know who you are?

You submit it to a link that's on the page and we review it and post it in picture form so it cannot be duplicated.

:)

So no, you're right, it's not completely anonymous but the people who have access to that area I'd trust with my life, kids life, girls life, anyone's life.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I miss working in a department that we can talk to each other about bad runs, things that had you depressed. That is always what helped me the most.
Not even saying what was wrong; but things like "remember the run that ____ happened"? gets things started and it helped alot.

Now I can talk to my partner, but she has very little true street experience. Can not talk to many of my co workers without it going all over or them trying to use comments to get people in trouble.

Now I am back to keeping things quiet and internalizing everything

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I miss working in a department that we can talk to each other about bad runs, things that had you depressed. That is always what helped me the most.
Not even saying what was wrong; but things like "remember the run that ____ happened"? gets things started and it helped alot.

Now I can talk to my partner, but she has very little true street experience. Can not talk to many of my co workers without it going all over or them trying to use comments to get people in trouble.

Now I am back to keeping things quiet and internalizing everything

That's exactly what you don't want to do. I know what you're saying brother, I do the exact same thing. It's really difficult for me to open up and talk with anyone about calls, just the way I deal with things. With that said the way I was doing it was not healthy at all.

I've always got an ear open for you brother.

Summit

Critical Crazy
CISM training
I keep hoping that one day this useless and harmful (so says the evidence) sacred cow from the 80s will be eliminated.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I keep hoping that one day this useless and harmful (so says the evidence) sacred cow from the 80s will be eliminated.

I will say it is not the newest or most beneficial, but as kne that doesn't get an opportunity to see an incident and know any sort of outcomes, I find the debriefing process very beneficial.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I'd say it's safe to say that a majority of people involved in EMS, fire or law enforcement deal with some elements of PTSD and depression. I have struggled with (and continue to struggle) with my own demons. I'm glad that there is more attention being given to the effects of this stress on our lives, as all too often we suffer in silence.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Excellent.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Mods can we sticky this so it doesn't become buried.

Pretty please :) Pretty pretty please :)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I second Robb's motion.

wildrivermedic

Forum Crew Member
Third.
Thank you so much for this. I shared it with my paramedic class after a presentation on burnout and stress. Hope it helps make up for a psych issues class that was pretty short on compassion.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You submit it to a link that's on the page and we review it and post it in picture form so it cannot be duplicated.

:)

So no, you're right, it's not completely anonymous but the people who have access to that area I'd trust with my life, kids life, girls life, anyone's life.

It actually is 100% anonymous. The link is to a Google form, and those do not collect any info. So the only info the Code Green admin receive is what you voluntarily put.

Aidey

Oh, and stuck. At least for now. I can't promise it will stay stuck.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I fully hope it stays a stickie. It's needed.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Agreed.

Aidey

Given my bias towards the project, the other CLs should probably confirm. Although, for the record, I'm sticking it based on the votes of the people.