The Big Jump To ALS

E in SD

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I was recently accepted to a Paramedic Academy out here in California and was looking on some input from the Medics on the transition between the World of BLS to ALS. Not that running Dialysyis calls and Tx. don't get your Adrenalin going or anything (sarcasam) but Id love some advice on what to expect over the next year, any thing helps thanks in advance!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm no medic, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. My Paramedic partners were often found studying, sleeping, or eating. That's about it.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
MMiz, you watch too much tv Lmao!!

Yeah, from what I hear you can expect to have no life for a while, and I was told to keep pics of the family close cause I wouldn't see much of them either.

aline

Forum Probie
What to expect......Hmmmmm......Let's see.....
Your life is no longer your own, at least, not for the next year. You will eat, sleep, and live paramedic school. Your every waking minute will be spent in class, in clinicals, and studying. You will have no social life. Friends and family will wonder who you are on those rare occasions that you actually get to see them.
Seriously, it was not uncommon for me to do my regular 24 hour kelly shifts and 24 hour clinicals and /or classes on my "days off". There were times I was gone from home five days in a row. It was hard on my husband but worse for my kids. When I was home, I was either studying or sleeping.
The next year will be one of the hardest, most challenging years of your life.

Best of luck to you.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Paramedic Academy? AMR???

I second the comments from above... you will not have free time if you try to work and learn at the same time.

sara567

Forum Ride Along
kiss your life goodbye...

i'm in medic school now. i work fulltime at AMR in connecticut.

umm, yeah...

my normal week...

sunday: work 8a-8p, study all day by throwing flashcards at my partner and making him quiz me

monday: work 8a-8p, always busy at work but try and get some studying in

tuesday: study all day, class at night

wed: work 8a-8p, again, busy day...usually just sleep when not doing calls

thurs: clinicals for 8 hrs, then 3 hr break where i study, then class

fri: work 8-8, sleep

sat: overtime day/see friends/sleep/clean house day

i used to have 10-10 and 12-12 and 2-2, so at least now i can go out after work, but this bid just started, still getting used to being able to go to the bar or whatnot after work.

natrab

Forum Crew Member
I'm just beginning my field internship in a relatively accelerated program (I started Feb. 1st of this year), and it's been a ride. If you've been working as an EMT in a 911 system or even just BLS transfers for at least a year, the transition will be a welcome one. It has been a ton of work and I am both physically and emotionally exhausted at the moment (and I'm about to start the hardest part!), so be ready for that. I went 6 months without having more than one day off every two weeks. That day was spent studying or getting together to work on skills.

I am so stoked to start my internship and start administering some actual pt care. It's scary, but I'm confident that my school has made me a safe beginner and this is what all my work so far has led to.

Clear your schedule for the next year and sign yourself up. It's worth it.

OP
OP
E

E in SD

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the Advice from everyone! I'm accepting the challenge of Medic school with open arms

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
E in SD said:
Thanks for the Advice from everyone! I'm accepting the challenge of Medic school with open arms
Be sure to keep us updated... unless you're too busy :)

doc5242

Forum Crew Member
Just remember BLS before ALS and you'll be fine

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Don't fall behind in your studies and know the WHYs behind everything instead of just memorizing it all. And remember - the more your learn, the less you know! :)

mofiremedic

Forum Probie
just have fun with it. ive been a medic for almost 2 yrs in indep mo. (yes aka methdependence is a true statement) working for AMR and its a blast. dont freak out at the tests you will take, if you have questions...ask, and study your butt off. as for your personal life you'll miss out on alot, but cherish every moment you spend with family and friends and you'll never miss out.
PS welcome to the wonderful life of EMS.

cc_crna

Forum Ride Along
AAAAA-MENNNN the best advice you will likely get.

A basic partner most often makes or breaks a paramedic--dont underestimate what you already have learned in the field!!

Good Luck

podmedic@mac.com

Forum Crew Member
cc_crna said:
AAAAA-MENNNN the best advice you will likely get.

A basic partner most often makes or breaks a paramedic--dont underestimate what you already have learned in the field!!

Good Luck

I second that one. I'm always telling my EMT-B's a quote I heard in PM school.

"Paramedics save lives, EMT's save paramedics"

That said -- Use flashcards to study while you're working. Easy to keep in your pocket and pull out while your stopped at a light or pass to your partner (as in an earlier post).

You're asking for advice which is a good indication that you'll do just fine.B)

natrab

Forum Crew Member
podmedic@mac.com said:
I second that one. I'm always telling my EMT-B's a quote I heard in PM school.

"Paramedics save lives, EMT's save paramedics"

I never really liked that quote. EMTs should focus on fulfilling their role on a call. I used to think that way (as in I was only there to help my medic). Truth is, I'm there to help my patient. And making sure there's good CPR and ventilations going is the meat and potatoes of BLS (and is what REALLY saves lives). Be good to your partners, you are there as a team and if one leg's broken, the whole thing will fall.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Text books and flashcards,skills-skills-skills

It is true what everybody has said, a whole lot time and along the way blood sweat and tears, and that is just from your lab time!!:p But it will be all worth it in the end!!! Good luck and remember the BLS to works with the ALS:) :) :)

bikenburn

Forum Probie
I would say best of luck to you, but I sure dont hope it comes down to luck. It's rough. I am in paramedic school right now as well, at The University of Maryland, Baltimore County. It's a MD state school with a BS program in Emergency Health Services. It's kinda neat because I get my NREMT-P classes done, and my BS degree. At the same time it sucks sometimes because they want us to learn more than usual so they can merrit a BS, but we have a differently scheduled pregram than most. I am just in the middle of the first quarter of the training, and it's a hell of a lot of studying. I ride 911 as a BLS provider, but I start doing clinical soon enough. Just have fun and keep looking for that light at the end of the tunnel.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I would say best of luck to you, but I sure dont hope it comes down to luck. It's rough. I am in paramedic school right now as well, at The University of Maryland, Baltimore County. It's a MD state school with a BS program in Emergency Health Services. It's kinda neat because I get my NREMT-P classes done, and my BS degree. At the same time it sucks sometimes because they want us to learn more than usual so they can merrit a BS, but we have a differently scheduled pregram than most. I am just in the middle of the first quarter of the training, and it's a hell of a lot of studying. I ride 911 as a BLS provider, but I start doing clinical soon enough. Just have fun and keep looking for that light at the end of the tunnel.

Wow, good for you. Would you recommend the program to others? I wish more ems providers would seek degrees.

bikenburn

Forum Probie
I would recommend the program to others with a few stipulations. A) The program is not for the poor, as college is getting ridiculously expensive. If you happen to be an in state resident, you can get tuition reimbursement, which is awesome, except I do not qualify as I am from Cali. B) It's a long haul. Be prepared to work long and hard. The problem is that I've met people here since my move over that started their medic schools after I did and are going to be done way sooner. While it's arguable our program provides more understanding by having more class time, it can be frustrating sometimes and it makes me feel like I wish I could be done already too. In the end though I know I am going to appreciate having a BS and a deeper knowledge of what's going on medically rather than having to learn more in the field (not that there wont be more than one lifetime of knowledge I'll be able to learn from all you senior medics.) I just have to keep telling myself that I am in this program for my EMT-P and BS, and although it's long, it will be worth it in the end. In short (lol) I would recommend people here.