"The ambulance drivers are here"

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
911 or IFT... you deserve to be called by your title. To me its the same thing as calling a "mrs" a "mr".

Hmm, I always correct people who call me "mrs", because I care about that. I still don't care enough about what floor nurses call me, but I can see why someone else might now.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
And, for the umpteenth time, go call ANY professional the wrong title multiple times, and see if they don't correct you. I guarantee they will.

I had a teacher in 7th grade who had her PhD. She demanded to be called Dr, and if you continued to call her "Miss", she'd give you detention. Go call an RN an LVN multiple times, they will correct you. Go call a DO an MD multiple times, they will correct you. That's why police introduce themselves as "Officer so-and-so" or "Deputy so-and-so" or "Trooper so-and-so", as that's their proper title.

Why is it so bad that we want to be called by our proper title? Why must we be relegated to a task, and not our title? Common name or not, it's wrong.

I suppose it comes down to what's important to you in your profession. Personally, what I get called is the least important thing to me and I'm a little baffled that it is so hugely important to other people. Isn't what you DO the most important thing in your profession?

People judge your worth as a professional on your actions and how you do your job. The title is superficial, in my view. You can have all kinds of titles, but if you're an incompetent moron it doesn't matter what you're called.

Students call me everything. I get called Ms A, Miss A, Mrs A, just plain "Miss" from the hispanic kids, "Mr B" when they come directly from his class, ect. They know I'm getting married and some of them try out what they think will be my married name (I'm not changing it). It's all said respectfully, which is all that I require out of them. I'd much rather put my energy into teaching them the content, not training them to call me one specific title.

Is "ambulance driver" a derogatory term? Are they saying it the way some of you guys call them "butt wipers"? I can see why you'd be annoyed if they are. It seems a little crazy to me to put so much energy into training the nurses into using a specific title for you. Wouldn't it be more important that they think of you as the person who will do a good job with the patient they are handing you?

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN

Sasha

Forum Chief
Its funny so many people take offense to the term ambulance driver when they practically worship someone who blogs by that name.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Its funny so many people take offense to the term ambulance driver when they practically worship someone who blogs by that name.

Because he did it in a satirical manner. There's also a blog titled "I Am Not An Ambulance Driver"

Again, why is it so bad to want someone to use your proper title?

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Because he did it in a satirical manner. There's also a blog titled "I Am Not An Ambulance Driver"

Linuss I don't think it is a bad thing but for me it really doesn't matter. I have been called much worse than an "Ambulance Driver" when arriving on scene to find a patient that is impossible to be resuscitated. I have had family members call me things that I could never say to another human being. I didn't choose this profession because of title, wanting to be a hero or status. I chose this profession to try and help everyone I came across to the best of my ability. I never expect a thank you or any other type of praise for doing my job. When I was a kid, my dad had a man call him a hero for being a Marine that fought two tours in nam. He told my dad the world should look at him as a hero for doing what he did. My dad simply told the man that he was a soldier doing his job and anybody that does it to be a hero in his book are considered a zero. That has always stuck with me. The title does not make the man, The man makes the title.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I skipped 2 pages

Have you guys heard that reimbursement for any type of EMS is based off of transport?

All the people who constantly complain they are only there for emergencies, etc. nomatter what you do for the "true" emergency patient, your primary goal is to deliver them to the hospital.

IFT companies don't get paid for provider knowledge and skill. They get paid by what kind of vehicle is needed to transport the patient and milage.

911 providers, how many patients to you treat and release or treat and refer and get paid for?
(and refusals and no patient do not count)

I have spent hours if not days on this forum telling you what the problem is, what you need to do to change it, and even told you how.

I have heard every excuse possible for why not to change it.

But the fact remains, as long as you are paid to drive somebody somewhere and not for your knowledge and ability, you are... in fact...

...An ambulance driver.

If you have a problem with it, do something about it other than whine and call other people names.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant

It's not wrong or bad. I just find it really odd that this is what people get worked up about, in respect to their profession. I would have guessed it would have been a nurse saying something like "all EMT's are hacks", not the title nurses use.

Zodiac

Forum Crew Member
have you guys heard that reimbursement for any type of ems is based off of transport?

All the people who constantly complain they are only there for emergencies, etc. Nomatter what you do for the "true" emergency patient, your primary goal is to deliver them to the hospital.

Ift companies don't get paid for provider knowledge and skill. They get paid by what kind of vehicle is needed to transport the patient and milage.

911 providers, how many patients to you treat and release or treat and refer and get paid for?
(and refusals and no patient do not count)

i have spent hours if not days on this forum telling you what the problem is, what you need to do to change it, and even told you how.

I have heard every excuse possible for why not to change it.

But the fact remains, as long as you are paid to drive somebody somewhere and not for your knowledge and ability, you are... In fact...

...an ambulance driver.

If you have a problem with it, do something about it other than whine and call other people names.

+20

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
This was something that, admittedly, I used to get a bit bent out of shape over. It used to get under my skin, and cause me to want to rectify with swift vengeance. The fact that I was rather impotent to exact said vengeance due to the political climate in which I work (no supervisor at any IFT service here in glorious Los Angeles will go to bat for some random EMT or paramedic regardless of who or what caused the problem - it's just not in their interest to do so) simply made it more frustrating.

Over time, however, I've come to realize several things. Primarily that I (and essentially all of us that actually take the time to contribute to forums such as this one) am an anomaly as far as the ambulance service goes. While not trying to sound arrogant, it's simply true that my (i.e. "our") level of professionalism exceeds that which is typical of my peers. This perception of us as "ambulance drivers" is essentially reinforced by the behavior and general lack of professionalism of the nebulous "everyone else".

This professional faux pas is typically perpetrated by floor nurses who don't have much dealings with ambulance personnel. Our "field" for lack of a better word, is not known or recognized by its professional/educational standards. That is to say, in other medical professions (physicians, nurses, physical therapists, etc.) it's rather widely known what it took to get to that position. Nobody thinks of, say, paramedics as having had to go through a particularly rigorous educational/training/licensure process (even if you did have to, in the US the distribution of programs with rigorous educational standards is not uniform which adds to the confusion). Because we continue to allow this fact to persist, it is no wonder then that the perception of us in the minds of other healthcare professionals reflects this technician/tradesman notion of an "ambulance driver."

So, even though it may very well be "wrong" for us to be tied to this demeaning label it's probably best to simply ignore it for several reasons. In the interest of self-preservation (not getting fired) you probably should, because it would be a rare instance where having a complaint filed against you (even if you're in the right and it really is the other party creating the issue) that you'll have the management of a for-profit IFT service doing anything to support you. Secondly, if our standards were actually indicative of professional status and this were widely known, this problem would disappear. Finally, it is incredibly easy (especially for Americans who for some reason are especially susceptible to this) to make a strategically self-injuring error due to getting caught up in "righteous indignation" over comparatively petty things. This happens so often in our society you can set your watch to it (just look at current events in our political institutions and the exploitation of mass indignation at so-called abuse in our social benefit programs which lead to their desiccation and an even worse living situation for middle and working classes). It's probably better and more professional for you to simply ignore it, even if you're technically within your moral rights to express your offense.

That's what I've come to realize. Having said that, the refusal to give me a proper report or getting upset at my looking at the transfer paperwork or refusing to clear me for orders that are already covered in the county protocols is a different story.

JPINFV

Gadfly

What's even hilarious is the JEMS Facebook page posts when ever they link his blog.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't mind it, you should here some of the things I've been called by patients. Everytime, every run, every call one of is in fact an ambulance driver.

But then again I don't get hung up on titles.

I would like to be addressed as superstar, and my daughter called me a doodoo head the other day.

So no sweat really, as long as the check clears you can call me what you like.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
Lets face it, the patient transport service (IFT) is basically a medi taxi so "ambulance driver" is appropriate.

Here, we have Patient Transfer Officers and Paramedics, see the difference?

Brown, our IFT's apparently work much differently than yours do. I posted about this in a previous thread. What you're describing is only part of the job we do. 911 response (MVA's, GSW's, Stubbed toes, sniffles ), emergent responses to our contract facilities (active strokes, diabetic emergencies, cardiac emergencies, Falls etc.). Maybe my company is more of the exception than the norm but not all private IFT companies are, "Medic Taxis."

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I suppose it comes down to what's important to you in your profession. Personally, what I get called is the least important thing to me and I'm a little baffled that it is so hugely important to other people. Isn't what you DO the most important thing in your profession?

Thats what nurses and others think we do. Just drive ambulances. Now if they said the ambulance driver/bandaid slinger is here, then thats OK.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
The problem is many in ems are too concerned with perception, acceptance and respect. Do your job people will notice, if they don't then who cares. We have turned into a profession full of attention seekers, if your not constantly getting your ego stroked then you need to throw a tantrum. Look at the posts on this site, who is in charge, I'm the boss, I can start an iv, intubate or give this drug so I'm better, its ridiculous.

Maybe if we focused that energy on perfecting the job we do, we wouldn't have to worry so much about what everyone else thinks about us.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
The problem is many in ems are too concerned with perception, acceptance and respect. Do your job people will notice, if they don't then who cares. We have turned into a profession full of attention seekers, if your not constantly getting your ego stroked then you need to throw a tantrum. Look at the posts on this site, who is in charge, I'm the boss, I can start an iv, intubate or give this drug so I'm better, its ridiculous.

Maybe if we focused that energy on perfecting the job we do, we wouldn't have to worry so much about what everyone else thinks about us.

People in this profession feel like they need to brag because for the most part, everybody has the same training (Except for EMT and Paramedic) Everybody just wants to 1up each other.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Thats what nurses and others think we do. Just drive ambulances. Now if they said the ambulance driver/bandaid slinger is here, then thats OK.

I'm not sure what I thought you guys did before I landed here. Drive the ambulance yes, but I knew you did stuff in the ambulance while it was being driven. The general public's opinion of what I do is quite amusing. I wish I got that much free time.

I slung a lot of bandaids today actually! Cleaned out my entire box on paper cuts, scrapes, and 2 fingers slammed in lockers. Now I have to go buy more. :(

OP
OP
EMTMama

EMTMama

Forum Crew Member
Brown, our IFT's apparently work much differently than yours do. I posted about this in a previous thread. What you're describing is only part of the job we do. 911 response (MVA's, GSW's, Stubbed toes, sniffles ), emergent responses to our contract facilities (active strokes, diabetic emergencies, cardiac emergencies, Falls etc.). Maybe my company is more of the exception than the norm but not all private IFT companies are, "Medic Taxis."

This is my IFT company as well, minus the 911 stuff because another company holds the 911 contract. We do a lot of emergent (or "stat calls" as our dispatch calls them) calls to contract facilities, as well as the occasional FDGB (fall down go boom) calls at nursing homes. For our particular company I'd say the calls were 50/50 basic, mundane, transport/stat calls.