"The ambulance drivers are here"

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yes and no. Last time I checked taxi drivers didn't start IV's, administer O2 or medications. We still treat patients that the nursing homes neglect. Still not appropriate. Driving is merely one aspect of my job, just like wiping butts is merely one aspect of theirs.

No thats the techs job.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate me referring to them as a bed pan changer or a butt wiper. <_<
well, you could alwys call her a bed pan changer or butt wiper, and see what happens. if she complains, just say "if you call me by my proper title, I will call you by yours."

And to the ones that get offended that we open the packet / refuse to give a transfer report, I do 2 things:

First, ask if they'd like me to bring them a patient without telling them a think about them.

And second, if the person is still being an idiot, I go to a doctor and get the info from them. I have doctors, errm... correct... ignorant medical behavior before from people who refused to do a proper transfer of care.
I LOVED when nurses got pissy about this: on more than one occasion, I gave them my supervisor's direct number, and went through the folder. the look on their face when my boss said that they were wrong and to stop harassing his crews was priceless.

going to the doctor or the supervisor was also an option, especially if I had a supervisor who had no balls, or refused to stand up for his crew.

but over all, I'd been called worse than an ambulance driver, and wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I've stopped worried about being called "ambulance driver" a while ago. Refusing to give me a real report though, pisses me off to no end. What screws us though, is how many of your coworkers take a real report?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
How many different titles do RNs want to be called by?
How many different titles do EMS providers want to be called by?
See the difference?

You're doing apples to oranges. The correct question would be "How many different titles do Paramedics want to be called by" (Or EMTs, if you will)

RNs are RNs. Paramedics are Paramedics. EMTs are EMTs. LVNs are LVNs. An RN will act the same way to being called a CNA or LVN as a Paramedic would to being called a Basic.

Even though Paramedics are not EMTs, it is the common denominator as far as the pubic at large is concerned... the exact same way that "nurse" is the common denominator.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have yet to experience a time when a LVN or RN got upset over calling a LVN a "nurse." How often do you see the "They don't respect our author-a-tay" posts when a paramedic is called an EMT or an EMT called a paramedic?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have yet to experience a time when a LVN or RN got upset over calling a LVN a "nurse." How often do you see the "They don't respect our author-a-tay" posts when a paramedic is called an EMT or an EMT called a paramedic?

Go call an RN a LVN/LPN or CNA, see what they say. Guaranteed it's the same thing a Paramedic will say, just different titles.

18G

Paramedic
I also take offense to the "ambulance driver" term. I think it really shows ignorance on part of the healthcare provider using it. If they really have no clue that modern day EMS consists of more than people that drive than they need to be corrected.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I dont care what they call me... It really doesn't matter what they think of us. And it's also no good to get into a pissing contest with a nurse when you're about to pick up your patient. Especially if they see it. Then their first impression of you will be, oh what a jerk. Especially if they liked their nurse.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
don't sweat the small stuff....

Seriously, when I'm working my IFT job, I feel like an ambulance driver. Especially since most of the jobs are BLS, so if I'm on the ambulance, I drive.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
try calling a doctor a med student. or a female surgeon a nurse. or go to the military, and call a captain a sergeant. see what their reaction is.

if you call a paramedic an EMT, some get pissy. IMO, there isn't a good reason so, but the immature newbies do. most will grow out of it. if an EMT is called a paramedic, some get pissy. IMO, there isn't a good reason so, but the immature newbies do. most will grow out of it.

It's a term of respect; call someone what they are, and the level of training or rank is, especially when you know what they are. being ignorant to something is one thing; once you are corrected and you continue to do the insult, well, then it's disrespectful, and we should be able to stand up for ourselves.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Thought this was a funny sign at Kindred in Ft. Lauderdale
ambulance.jpg

Sasha

Forum Chief
Calling a nurse a CNA is not the same thing as calling an EMT/Paramedic an ambulance driver. It's also not the same thing as calling a nurse an "butt wipe/wiper" That's just confrontational and disrespectful. I highly doubt those who claim they do it actually have the cajones to say that to a nurses' face. And if you do, I hope you get reported and fired.

Who cares, part of your job is driving an ambulance, there are so many different types of transport. Sometimes I get called simply "transport" like the stretcher pushers.

If you are so insecure that it bothers you THAT much you've really got a problem.

As the saying goes.. I don't care what you call me, as long as it's not late for dinner.

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Calling a nurse a CNA is not the same thing as calling an EMT/Paramedic an ambulance driver. It's also not the same thing as calling a nurse an "butt wipe/wiper" That's just confrontational and disrespectful. I highly doubt those who claim they do it actually have the cajones to say that to a nurses' face. And if you do, I hope you get reported and fired.

Who cares, part of your job is driving an ambulance, there are so many different types of transport. Sometimes I get called simply "transport" like the stretcher pushers.

If you are so insecure that it bothers you THAT much you've really got a problem.

As the saying goes.. I don't care what you call me, as long as it's not late for dinner.

Calling an RN a CNA isn't the same as calling an EMT/Paramedic an ambulance driver. Seriously?
Although I may agree that being called an ambulance driver is neither here nor there, but that analogy used above is entirely correct.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yet, I never hear a LEO called a 'police car driver'. Never hear a firefighter get called a "fire truck driver". Why is it ok for us to be named for a menial task that some of us don't even do, but not for others?

Why is it so bad to want your proper title used, and not some ignorant name that a fellow healthcare professional should know better?

Last edited by a moderator:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
I also take offense to the "ambulance driver" term. I think it really shows ignorance on part of the healthcare provider using it. If they really have no clue that modern day EMS consists of more than people that drive than they need to be corrected.

Unless you're ALS unit or doing CCT will you please tell me what is that your really do that would be wrong to refer to you as "ambulance driver". If all you're doing is IFT BLS then yes you're an ambulance driver as usually there is nothing going on. In rare case something happens you either calling for intercept or you're going code 3 to nears ER. In California BLS is really restricted so ambulance driver does describe it correctly.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Unless you're ALS unit or doing CCT will you please tell me what is that your really do that would be wrong to refer to you as "ambulance driver". If all you're doing is IFT BLS then yes you're an ambulance driver as usually there is nothing going on. In rare case something happens you either calling for intercept or you're going code 3 to nears ER. In California BLS is really restricted so ambulance driver does describe it correctly.

What about people who act as attendants only? They don't drive, therefor they aren't ambulance drivers.

What do you call a Paramedic or EMT in a hospital working in the capacity of a technician? Again, they aren't driving an ambulance.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I personally prefer to be addressed as "Gurney god", "Basically Beautiful Basic", "Hunky Hairless Healer" or once at a party "Smashing Susan" but that last one was after a few drinks and involved a double dog dare.