the 100% directionless thread

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I am finally getting my hot little hands on some ketamine.

Just as soon as it comes in the mail.
As late as the 1990's that stuff wasn't even locked up. Just sat out on shelves and carts with the versed.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
As late as the 1990's that stuff wasn't even locked up. Just sat out on shelves and carts with the versed.
I've been mystified as to why it's been so incredibly difficult to access for so long. Both chronic pain and depression patients report significant relief with ketamine treatment... if you can afford it and find a clinic near you. I mean, I know why it's not seen movement by the pharmaceutical companies... why produce an old medication and sell it for cheap, when you can alter the molecule slightly and have a shiny "new" medicine that you can sell for large sums? (esketamine, for those not following).

But apparently finally some folks have put their heads together and figured out how to make ketamine treatment somewhat affordable and less limited by location. Bless those folks, they're fighting the good fight for us poor depressed people 😆

Seirende

I was born in the 1990s and then they locked up the ketamine. Coincidence? 🤔

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
One of those humorous style "How to use an AED" YouTube videos... but I lol'd at this comment:

"As a carpenter, I just had my first aid class. My teacher said it was either a plumbing problem (no shocked advised) or an electrical problem (shock advised). I will definitely show this video to him so he can use it in his first aid classes."

Seirende

One of those humorous style "How to use an AED" YouTube videos... but I lol'd at this comment:

"As a carpenter, I just had my first aid class. My teacher said it was either a plumbing problem (no shocked advised) or an electrical problem (shock advised). I will definitely show this video to him so he can use it in his first aid classes."

My sister went from volunteer EMT to professional welder, so I'll have to get her feedback on this 🤣

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Never actually thought I'd see this day, but the Mariners have made the post-season!!! Since I'm pretty sure this is one of the signs of the apocalypse, might as well go all in and see the M's beat the Dodgers in the World Series.

Go M's!!!!
The M's being knocked out of the post season feels like the Improbability Drive from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has restored normality.

Oh well, there's always next year for the M's to beat the Dodgers in the World Series.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The M's being knocked out of the post season feels like the Improbability Drive from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has restored normality.

Oh well, there's always next year for the M's to beat the Dodgers in the World Series.
There’s ALWAYS next year. Kind of rooting for the Pads to at least make it to the WS. And by no means am I a Machado fan.

Seirende

Huh. I guess my Vitamin D tested at 19 ng/mL from yesterday's blood draw. Maybe that's part of why I've been feeling severely unwell as of late. The low serum iron level that appears to be causing mild anemia at this point might also have something to do with it. 😂

I feel like someone who has a car where the engine has been acting up in increasingly concerning ways, then finally someone checks the oil and that's the problem. 😅

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Idolizes Johnny and Roy
Sooooo I wrote a country song about EMS, and it may or may not but mostly may be copyright infringement. Would anyone like to read the lyrics I stole and altere—err I mean wrote?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
1st patient today, couldn't get a BP 2 tries, went for the palpation, and the pulse disappeared above 60mmHg, like "Ah, that's why"
Next patient had 220/90...

Like just need the two to get together and average their pressures and they'd prob be fine lol

Seirende

It is the one week anniversary of taking my first vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) megadose since discovering that my vitamin D levels were severely low, and I feel like the clock on my health has been turned back three years.

Seirende

1st patient today, couldn't get a BP 2 tries, went for the palpation, and the pulse disappeared above 60mmHg, like "Ah, that's why"
Next patient had 220/90...

Like just need the two to get together and average their pressures and they'd prob be fine lol

How did the hypotensive patient make out?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
One of the more interesting bits of life is that I kind of didn't remember just how slippery neonates are...

Had a surprise delivery this morning while I was doing triage.

And no, I didn't drop the baby. :cool:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That slightly awkward moment when we ckear a call, and are headed back to station when one of the SUV Rapid Response Vehicles from a neighboring station is pulling up behind us lights and sirens. Pull over, see that it's them (cuz it was dark, couldn't see who it was from behind), check the MDT and realize there's a Medical call in our area! Follow them to the scene intending to take it, but they walked in anyway. Like ok, guess we'll stay available lol

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
"Do you have any past medical history?"
"No"
And then:
Screenshot_20221107_145426.jpg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... interesting. We were on a psych/SI call with PD. They called in over their radio the "1010" was on scene when EMS arrived, that being their 10 code for ambulance. The one cop laughed and told us they had them as a 10 code, but not one for us (Fire) or even warrants apparently lol

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I’ve been on leave from the field, and my mental/physical health has drastically improved. It took me about two weeks to start to decompress, and now I’m in one of the best places mentally I’ve been in a long time.

I enjoy being a paramedic - it’s never been what defined me - but I think this might be the nail in the coffin I’ve given enough to EMS.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I’ve been on leave from the field, and my mental/physical health has drastically improved. It took me about two weeks to start to decompress, and now I’m in one of the best places mentally I’ve been in a long time.

I enjoy being a paramedic - it’s never been what defined me - but I think this might be the nail in the coffin I’ve given enough to EMS.
At some point it’s always time to leave the field. If you have the ability and seen such an improvement, maybe now is the time for you. Good luck either way.