the 100% directionless thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I mean, it's not about being unappreciated by your fellow providers. It's about society not appreciating us and that forces us to move up to medic or often times move out of EMS just in order to survive. EMT is rarely sustainable long term now unless you're making sacrifices you probably shouldn't be.
Really had nothing to do with any of that.

Dude asked for advice on caring for patient’s a little longer than he is now. Leveling up a cert is hardly a dig, but again, whatevs.
Getting married in less than 3 weeks. Very exciting. Been making DIY decor with Cricut and getting ready for it. Getting married to the best thing AMR ever gave me, a great partner. Truly an awesome dude. 👌 I'm greatly blessed.
Salutations and congratulations.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
ROSC #2 this weekend had a pH of 6.6. I don't think I've dropped anyone off that low in quite a long time. Honestly impressed I even kept that pulse with that pH, even if only barely.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently I'm a black cloud lol

At least according to this Station I worked OT at (one of the ones I used to work at before, but been a couple years since then). Slower Station, less than 300 calls per year.

Come in for the PM shift (8pm-8am) and boom, we ran two calls in that shift. They didn't have any in the AM half. The two calls were them being slammed lol 😆

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Lots of good news and one annoying thing.

Annoying thing is someone somehow got my debit card information and bought a tank of gas.

One of the good things is my piping instructor told me to bring my bagpipes next week to my lesson. Someone is about to sound like a dieing goose.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Lots of good news and one annoying thing.

Annoying thing is someone somehow got my debit card information and bought a tank of gas.

One of the good things is my piping instructor told me to bring my bagpipes next week to my lesson. Someone is about to sound like a dieing goose.
I don't know when I last used my debit card. I have credit cards set to notify me for any purchase, so that one is something I'll catch quick.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I don't know when I last used my debit card. I have credit cards set to notify me for any purchase, so that one is something I'll catch quick.
If my card detects a suspicious purchase it will have me authenticate.

It's caught stuff before.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I got enough FA to get paid this semester. Bought stuff for my wedding I've been needing, paid a few bills, and a car part for my brake system. Been needing that for awhile now. Hopefully this fixes it.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
A week in Colorado followed by an almost immediate extended rotation that segues into our acquisition. Boom, boom, and boom.

Things are moving quite rapidly. I turn in my ground uni’s tomorrow and get my final (live) check out.

I only wish the nighttime-only flights would simmer down a smidge. Oh well.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
And back doing background extra today.

Nothing fancy, no Tactical fear/fireman/etc, just being a "hotel bar guest" but hey, hopefully those will be down the road

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Our forceback situation is rapidly making me feel like @CALEMT . Never fails to get forced during a four day when you already voluntarily picked up OT.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Our forceback situation is rapidly making me feel like @CALEMT . Never fails to get forced during a four day when you already voluntarily picked up OT.

Ohhhhhhh if only you knew brother.

CALEMT

What is forceback

I'm assuming that it's forced overtime ie your shift is Saturday and Sunday. You're supposed to go off on Monday but you don't have any relief, henceforth you get forced to work that day creating forced overtime. It's a real *****.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm assuming that it's forced overtime ie your shift is Saturday and Sunday. You're supposed to go off on Monday but you don't have any relief, henceforth you get forced to work that day creating forced overtime. It's a real *****.

Holdover?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The trick is to pick up so much overtime that they can't force you even when they try, which they will anyways.

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
For us a holdover is only 12 hrs (not the full 24) and is entirely voluntary.

They CAN force us if the oncoming crew is below minimum staffing (i.e. only 2 guys show up, as 3 is our minimum crew). But even then ots usually only for a few minutes, up to an hour while they have someone from a crew with 4 or more at a nearby station send someone

Vs a foreceback of working the whole shift (and I'm also assuming vs a holdover a firceback is they call you at home and tell you "surprise! You have to show up today! Hope you didn't have any other plans!")

CALEMT

The trick is to pick up so much overtime that they can't force you even when they try, which they will anyways.

Just happened to me. 11 days straight and got forced in the middle of my days off.