the 100% directionless thread

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
That sounds a little ominous to me.
Ever since I started the travel position and just got a bunch of different state licenses, I just jump state to state. In a month, I usually work 12-13 24 hour shifts. In between shifts, I am usually traveling for work. I never pay for gas. I'm always living out of hotels. For me, it's fun and good money. I feel like it's good experience.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank goodness, some sun for the first time in 10 days means Brown can leave the house without getting wet or just looking at thick grey overcast sky 😍 winter is stupid and dumb :(. I am getting harrassed in my inbox about cheap flights up to the US and Canada and I haven't had a holiday in what, four or five years .... I think it might be time to pop up and visit again.

Last edited:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've been getting all my alphabet soup cards done this month. I really do not like the new AHA style with doing precourse work before the class. It's painful. Then I still gotta show up to a 4 hour class after. Super annoying.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Working OT at my original Engine company today. Since I left, they got a brand new station built for them (the old one can practically fit in the app bay of the new one lol) That and they have their new truck (when I was here they were still rolling in a 1990 model year) so everything is both old and classic with the crew, and brand new at the same time.

Kinda gives a bit if hope that our old run down Station may also get a new building rofl

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I've been getting all my alphabet soup cards done this month. I really do not like the new AHA style with doing precourse work before the class. It's painful. Then I still gotta show up to a 4 hour class after. Super annoying.

As someone who just finished all the pre course work for the class I agree. It’s painful.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Got to break out the ol Lewis lead set up today. Not that I really had doubts about the initial print out being flutter, but what else am I gonna do on 35 mile transports?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We were doing our inspections/pre plans yesterday and one of the business was a wholesale furniture place, but they were moving and had a 60% off sale. Saw a nice couch with built in recliner for like $500 I'm sorely tempted to go back for today lol

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
We were doing our inspections/pre plans yesterday and one of the business was a wholesale furniture place, but they were moving and had a 60% off sale. Saw a nice couch with built in recliner for like $500 I'm sorely tempted to go back for today lol
Buy!!! Never wait. It’ll be sold.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Got to break out the ol Lewis lead set up today. Not that I really had doubts about the initial print out being flutter, but what else am I gonna do on 35 mile transports?
How did it go for you? I've tried it a couple of times and didn't like it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

Buy!!! Never wait. It’ll be sold.
I bought it! Lol

Great price, socks it's because they're going out of business altogether, but with same day delivery (Heck they loaded it into their truck and followed me home right then and there!) Less than $500.

No more futon for me lols

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I had a real tough go, old traumas coming back up. But I'm doing a lot better now. Taking a break from the truck and back in paramedic school. Round 2, but it's all I can do.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My tough go has steeled my resolve, heart and mind.
Personally I think a better approach is to learn to not let things get to you in the first place.

Being mentally tough is useful but eventually it becomes exhausting no matter who you are. Learning how to allow things to roll off your back in the first place INSTEAD OF enduring them is a much more efficient use of your mental and emotional resources.

Most things that bother us are not nearly worth the energy that we allocate to them.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Personally I think a better approach is to learn to not let things get to you in the first place.

Being mentally tough is useful but eventually it becomes exhausting no matter who you are. Learning how to allow things to roll off your back in the first place INSTEAD OF enduring them is a much more efficient use of your mental and emotional resources.

Most things that bother us are not nearly worth the energy that we allocate to them.

Oh I mean this all the more, I agree with you. I have realized how much stuff has taken up space in my mind rent free and for what? Not my benefit.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Always satisfying when you've got a great partner, great engine crew, and everything and everyone just clicks into place.

How did it go for you? I've tried it a couple of times and didn't like it.
I mean, was it necessary? No. V1 was pretty evident. But did the placement and going from 1.0 to 3.0 on the size make those p waves pop? Absolutely. Do I feel like it added a little extra layer to solidify what I give to the ED? Yes.

I had a real tough go, old traumas coming back up. But I'm doing a lot better now. Taking a break from the truck and back in paramedic school. Round 2, but it's all I can do.
Good luck.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Staffing today is slaughtered. 5 guys on our crew, one on vacation, and two called sick, so it's me, one other of our FFs, and they had an Engineer come down from another station to be our Acting Captain