the 100% directionless thread

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I got approx. twelve hours of sleep last night (crashed super early). Still am removing the CPAP mask in my sleep, but I'll keep working on desensitization. I'm so with it this morning that I'm remembering to eat breakfast before I run off to attempt a few hours of work.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
The college sent me... $600?

...??

I mean. Sure. Great.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
As did I. The loss or restriction of humor creates a depressing atmosphere.

I don't think he's restricting anyone. He just can't enjoy it himself. Same reasons I don't like suicide jokes when I would have thought nothing of it, before.

I missed the joke, myself. So I dunno if I'd think it's funny.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hit a bit of a sore spot for me. I had a teen recently almost die from lupus nephritis after a long series of failure to diagnose, predominantly because they thought she was whining and seeking attention.
My wife’s SLE has been dormant for years. She had it worse before we had kids. This was well before “House”. She’d get butterfly rashes and have painful joint aching.

Her mom and an aunt have it pretty bad, as well as some younger family members. We’re hoping none of our kids, specifically the girls, get it.

Apparently it’s the newest myalgia. My wife scoffs at people who use it as a crutch. She’s a tough ol battle axe. Gawd, I love that woman.

People who legitimately have it can have quite a rough and bumpy road. I can vividly recall transporting a young teenage gal in a “lower socioeconomic” area for a flare up with obvious flank pain. She was treated much like a sickle cell patient. Sad.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Oh I thought you meant that there’s some kind of stigma towards sickle cell patients. Sickle cell is weird. What’s the reason that the body can have such a defect? From an evolutionary standpoint it makes no sense.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Oh I thought you meant that there’s some kind of stigma towards sickle cell patients. Sickle cell is weird. What’s the reason that the body can have such a defect? From an evolutionary standpoint it makes no sense.
From an evolutionary standpoint it makes perfect sense. I'll let you Google it though.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

There is a huge stigma with sickle cell patients. Usually from poor providers who believe that it’s some sort of psychosomatic pain. It makes me sick.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
There is a huge stigma with sickle cell patients. Usually from poor providers who believe that it’s some sort of psychosomatic pain. It makes me sick.

I've never come across anyone acting like this, but if they do, I don't want them on my truck. Or I don't want to be on theirs.

If it's the hospital, I would make reports of they didn't care for the pt properly.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Damn

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
From an evolutionary standpoint it makes perfect sense. I'll let you Google it though.
I am familiar enough with sickle cell to not have to Google it. Still, I fail to see how a genetic mutation which if untreated results in a high risk of disabling sequelae, not to mention of a significant risk of death before childbearing age can “make sense” from an evolutionary standpoint. Help me out here.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've never come across anyone acting like this, but if they do, I don't want them on my truck. Or I don't want to be on theirs.

If it's the hospital, I would make reports of they didn't care for the pt properly.

Welcome to life. Haven’t you realized that there are a lot of really crummy people out there? And LOTS of them work in EMS, thanks to the lowest barrier to entry in healthcare with the exception of CNAs.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I am familiar enough with sickle cell to not have to Google it. Still, I fail to see how a genetic mutation which if untreated results in a high risk of disabling sequelae, not to mention of a significant risk of death before childbearing age can “make sense” from an evolutionary standpoint. Help me out here.

The natural defenses for sickle cell. But now that I'm reading on it more, I'm questioning that and the efficacy of that.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Welcome to life. Haven’t you realized that there are a lot of really crummy people out there? And LOTS of them work in EMS, thanks to the lowest barrier to entry in healthcare with the exception of CNAs.

Oh I've seen horrible providers, from EMT to nurses.

I am aware.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Years ago, I worked a Jerry Lewis Telethon.
One of the Special kids walked up to me, wearing orthopedic devices, and said “ What has a million legs and can’t walk?
Jerry’s Kids”.

THAT brave Kid knew how to deal with Life. We had a wonderful time as he educated me about his trials in the world.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Years ago, I worked a Jerry Lewis Telethon.
One of the Special kids walked up to me, wearing orthopedic devices, and said “ What has a million legs and can’t walk?
Jerry’s Kids”.

THAT brave Kid knew how to deal with Life. We had a wonderful time as he educated me about his trials in the world.

Dang bro, that's a whole new level of savage.