the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Street cloths to work. Change out of them to my “uniform” which is just a random EMS shirt and shorts. If we get a call or management comes then I’ll toss on my flight suit. Change back into street cloths for my drive home.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I feel like this should've been a post on its own.

I personally wear my uniform to work and back. I live 17 miles away so it isn't a long commute and I'm not gonna make any stops. Early in the morning (eg 4 am), I am too tired to figure out what I need to bring with me and would legit forget something like pants. Thankfully the few times I've forgotten stuff, my EMT partner had a spare that I could borrow. We are legit clothing/shoe size twins that could swap clothes/shoes anytime. I usually put my uniform together and shower in the evening before work so zombie me can put it on with my eye closed and go. I don't mentally wake up until half way to work, lol.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I have always worn street clothes to and from work.

I’ve always wear civilian clothing since I’m not in the military.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I feel like this should've been a post on its own.

Shrug

I’ve always wear civilian clothing since I’m not in the military.

Okay Mr. Peak Technical.

Edit: haven't slept in a bit and I just hit send and realized I probably sound like a sarcastic A-hole. I Apologize. That is not the intended effect. I mean to sound more playful and joking.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
ALSO THESE NEW TRUCKS LOWER WHEN YOU OPEN THE BACK DOOR. WHAT. WHAT. THIS IS WITCHCRAFT.

THE OUTSIDE COMPARTMENTS UNLOCK ELECTRONICALLY.

RADIOS. RADIOS GALORE.

STATIONS AND BEDS. (THOUGH WE MIGHT NOT BE THERE MUCH)

THESE TRUCKS LOOK NICE. SOME ARE DOUBLE CABS. I AM BLOWN AWAY. THEY ARE TALLER AND LONGER THABO ANY BOX I'M USED TO. DID THEY SAY A LIQUID SUSPENSION. WHAT EVEN IS THAT.

THIS STUFF IS CRAZY.

THEY ARE STRICT ON MAINTENANCE AND INVENTORY.

Soon.... I start my rideouts soon. Pretty stoked.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Just wait until the liquid spring doesn’t quite lower it. Or ask why they don’t have Powerloads despite literally every other 911 agency around them having them (and some IFT). Creek’s trucks kind of suck. And you missed the golden era of the old Brauns from the 1990s remounted with cheap Walmart-brand window ACs glued into the sides.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I just hit send and realized I probably sound like a sarcastic A-hole. I Apologize. That is not the intended effect. I mean to sound more playful and joking.
I (jokingly) called the group a buncha effing nerds. I assumed they realized I was kidding, if not, meh, whaddya gonna do.

In other news, the boy is officially a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fan. Apparently he has his own 30 min block cut out for him at the sitters since the others prefer the Octonauts.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Just wait until the liquid spring doesn’t quite lower it. Or ask why they don’t have Powerloads despite literally every other 911 agency around them having them (and some IFT). Creek’s trucks kind of suck. And you missed the golden era of the old Brauns from the 1990s remounted with cheap Walmart-brand window ACs glued into the sides.

Why do you have to go so negative.

J know things break and things don't always work. And I don't actually autoloaders except with one service.

It's an improvement for me and I'm pretty excited, even if it's not the checklist of everything I ever wanted in EMS and nothing I don't.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Autoloaders go down too. A little embarrassing when you are outside the ER trying to pick up a Pt. Coulda been worse though. We could have been delivering a Pt to the ER.

Air bags blow out, quite often out here.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
ALSO THESE NEW TRUCKS LOWER WHEN YOU OPEN THE BACK DOOR. WHAT. WHAT. THIS IS WITCHCRAFT.

THE OUTSIDE COMPARTMENTS UNLOCK ELECTRONICALLY.

RADIOS. RADIOS GALORE.

STATIONS AND BEDS. (THOUGH WE MIGHT NOT BE THERE MUCH)

THESE TRUCKS LOOK NICE. SOME ARE DOUBLE CABS. I AM BLOWN AWAY. THEY ARE TALLER AND LONGER THABO ANY BOX I'M USED TO. DID THEY SAY A LIQUID SUSPENSION. WHAT EVEN IS THAT.

THIS STUFF IS CRAZY.

THEY ARE STRICT ON MAINTENANCE AND INVENTORY.

Soon.... I start my rideouts soon. Pretty stoked.
That liquid suspension is cool until you get on a crappy highway at 70mph and the box is waving from the constant suspension adjustments.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Wait it automatically adjusts when you are driving?
I’ve been riding these boxes since you were in grade school. A healthy dose of reality is an asset. And “negativity” isn’t a thing. You’re a fresh new EMT enjoying the world and that’s your thing. But if you’re going to make this a profession, eyes-open and actually understanding things is a huge asset.

Liquid-spring, air-ride and related systems are all substitutes for properly-weighted and balanced vehicles and attempts to make medium- and heavy-duty pickup chassis “better” ambulances by alleviation of the designed specifications for those vehicles, which is to handle motion-insensitive heavy loads. Given that vans are unpopular for a multitude of reasons, users often try to shoehorn “comfort” into a vehicle built for capacity and durability, and plenty of technological quirks and real-world operational problems are ignored because its viewed as a better trade off than the vans (which, imo, it is), or the most appropriate answer, which would be something like the European station-wagon ambulances. The liquid-spring suspension Frazier mounts on those Fords adjusts the ride height of each side of the box pretty consistently, trying to keep the “floor” level and smooth out some bumps. It results in a somewhat odd ride, especially when the system ages, valves get older and slower and the pumps start leaking. Another fun thing about those systems is that they rarely get fixed back to factory-new. Lots of leaky, “functional” suspensions out there.

American ambulance design is really horrific from a safety and ergonomic perspective, and is really carried forward primarily by cultural inertia and the sunk-cost fallacy, with a healthy dose of red tape mixed in.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I (jokingly) called the group a buncha effing nerds. I assumed they realized I was kidding, if not, meh, whaddya gonna do.

In other news, the boy is officially a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fan. Apparently he has his own 30 min block cut out for him at the sitters since the others prefer the Octonauts.
We are a Sarah and Duck family. Yeah British kids TV! You can find it on youtube.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
We are a Sarah and Duck family. Yeah British kids TV! You can find it on youtube.
We’re a couple hours from the parks, and the girls spent the majority of their birthdays the past several years at them/ their resorts.

I suppose it was inevitable what with all the merch laying around the house.

Also,British TV you say? With your avatar color me not-so-surprised:)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
95117DA4-FF25-4465-8721-C0A336CC5589.jpeg
silly duck.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.