the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
In those cases we have standing orders for Mag Sulfate. Last time I had one I don’t know if it was the mag or everything else I did, but watching those diff breathers turn around is close to magical.

Yea, he got all of that as well. CPAP, Duoneb x2, Mag, Dex, Epi. It hadn't helped much when we got to the hospital, but by the time I was clearing up he was noticeably better and then when we came back he appeared significantly more comfortable.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... I shoulda got a couple patches on this trip, and visit the local fire station, that's also the ambulance, police station, jail, and DMV apparently 😄 (Skagway, AK btw)

taxidriver

Forum Crew Member
Coming out of hibernation to use this as an outlet to vent. Long story short, A metric *ss load of issues arose in my personal life and I was overwhelmed. Ended up putting myself in a situation where a nearly unattainable grade is required on one of my final exams to remain in nursing school (100%). I know I did this to myself. In hindsight, there’s plenty of things I could’ve done differently. But that’s the past now. Right now I feel lost. I know I’m still young at the age of 21. Nevertheless, I still feel as if I threw away a year of my life. I feel rushed to get things squared away for the future. This is a level of stress I haven’t experienced ever before. Any wisdom is greatly appreciated, I’m all ears.

Tldr: things are goin sucky fam.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
"even this is for good." When **** his the fan in my world I remember this. It doesn't help the immediate but it gives me hope. And helps me remember to know it isn't the end of the world. Any chance you can asked to be recycled into the next class?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
There was a rather nice piece of art on the cruise ship that was right on the path from the elevator to the cabin, and it was part of their silent art auction (you write a bud on a paper, highest bid wins). I was thinking if I'd buy it I'd pay $5-700... the suggested minimum bid was $1100, with a quoted retail price of $1600. So I wrote $900 on my card, not really expecting to win... turns put I was the high bidder! Def gonna be my priciest souvenir lol

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
There was a rather nice piece of art on the cruise ship that was right on the path from the elevator to the cabin, and it was part of their silent art auction (you write a bud on a paper, highest bid wins). I was thinking if I'd buy it I'd pay $5-700... the suggested minimum bid was $1100, with a quoted retail price of $1600. So I wrote $900 on my card, not really expecting to win... turns put I was the high bidder! Def gonna be my priciest souvenir lol

$900 piece of art??? And to think that I thought I was adulating when I bought a house...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Coming out of hibernation to use this as an outlet to vent. Long story short, A metric *ss load of issues arose in my personal life and I was overwhelmed. Ended up putting myself in a situation where a nearly unattainable grade is required on one of my final exams to remain in nursing school (100%). I know I did this to myself. In hindsight, there’s plenty of things I could’ve done differently. But that’s the past now. Right now I feel lost. I know I’m still young at the age of 21. Nevertheless, I still feel as if I threw away a year of my life. I feel rushed to get things squared away for the future. This is a level of stress I haven’t experienced ever before. Any wisdom is greatly appreciated, I’m all ears.

Tldr: things are goin sucky fam.
Live and learn. There are very few situations that you can’t take something positive from.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Need to see a pic of the "art" to properly evaluate if it was a good buy.
I keep getting an error message saying the file is too large for the server to process, even when I try to use the take picture directly option in the upload options:/

taxidriver

Forum Crew Member
“Even this is for good”. I admire that mindset. It’s one thing to say it and something totally different to believe it. I’m very lucky to have a couple family members who went through nursing school. I drove over and had a conversation with one of them. They helped me realize that this is a blessing in disguise. The school I’m in is notorious for being a hell hole. It’s an accelerated for profit nursing school with year round classes. I just jumped right on in and I’ve been miserable. I got things done, but I was miserable. The distractions I’ve been dealing with have set me back, but I’m not in too deep of a hole. Plenty of people have changed their degree paths much later than I. I’ve still got time so I’m going to take a second to relax. not get comfortable, but just take a breather. It’s time to start pursuing a program with a good rep that suits me. I appreciate all the wise words.

Things could always be worse, I could be driving a wheelchair van :/ (Yes I’ve been lurking, sry rocketmedic)

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I am the Wheelchair Earl. My keep is small but hold many wheeled chairs in an Econoline.

Jim, buying that art! Yolo!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
On a serious note, Jim, I think we need to get you a monocle and fancy hat. You’re a patrician now.

Visited Grandpa, bittersweet/mixed results. He’s got CHF, fairly severe pedal edema, bilateral foot drop and his left knee is flaccid due to an old injury and progressive loss of his ligament and meniscus, spends a lot of time in his wheelchair, generally limited mobility. Plus some pretty intense depression. On the bright side, he’s still cognitively capable and has a decent outlook on things and is getting a lot of the care he needs to live at home. I really need to see him a lot more than I have been. Really looking at moving to see him more (and my other grandparents). Loved visiting San Francisco and seeing the (real) ocean too.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Me bidding:

19eaa3bcd0455346b9b7ba829e26aa5b.jpg

Hey, it uploaded!
FB_IMG_1566493567207.jpg

FB_IMG_1566493705557.jpg

$990 total including frame, insurance, shipping and handling
🧐🧐🧐🧐

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I know I’m still young at the age of 21. Nevertheless, I still feel as if I threw away a year of my life. I feel rushed to get things squared away for the future. This is a level of stress I haven’t experienced ever before. Any wisdom is greatly appreciated, I’m all ears.
At 21, you're still very young and you have a LOT of time to get your life squared away. Anything that didn't actually kill you is something that you can learn from and from that, you can adapt to your new situation and keep on going. So you failed out of one Nursing School... one that's a hellish place to be at. You still (hopefully) have learned from that experience and can use what you've learned to get even better at the basics of nursing when you get into a better learning environment. So, while you think that you have thrown away a year of your life, you really haven't. It's not that you haven't learned from that year. You will only have truly thrown that year away if you don't learn from what happened to get you to this point in life.

I could have gone into nursing some 20 years ago. My family hounded me for years before I actually went ahead and did it. I worked as a medic for quite a while, worked as a security guard for quite a while, and worked full-time while going to school full-time. All that took me down another path for about 15 years. Could I have done better back then? Sure. Would it have made many things easier? Sure. I wasn't ready for it and had I jumped into nursing school when it was first suggested, I probably would have failed out miserably. All that "extra time" spent doing other stuff is just pure gold for me now. Why? I'm "older" and I have a lot more life experience than a lot of my peers. That "extra time" also helped me figure out how I learn most efficiently. It really doesn't take me long to learn new stuff because I can lean on all that "stuff" that I've learned over the years to help me grasp new stuff much more easily.

I didn't get this way overnight. Some people consider me to be pretty wise. How you get that way? By making lots of good decisions. How do you learn to make good decisions? By making lots of bad ones and learning from them...

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I could have saved myself a good $40k in debt if I had been smarter when I was getting out of high school. I fixed my **** and learned from it. Now I'm able to buy myself cool things and have a much greater sense of financial security than I did even just two years ago. You live and learn.