the 100% directionless thread

I am looking into other jobs but don't necessarily need my current employer knowing that. Yet this place wants references from current managers... hmm.

Are references checked prior to a conditional offer being made?

Lo2w

Forum Captain
I am looking into other jobs but don't necessarily need my current employer knowing that. Yet this place wants references from current managers... hmm.

I hate that...I've always marked do not contact and make a note that I'll provide references on offer.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Yeah, don’t do it. Decline in the most professional of ways. I wonder how @akflightmedic would feel about that?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You tell the potential new company directly...."I am still at my current job and if you do not select me for this position, I still need that job. You evaluate and hire me on my experience, knowledge and interview. If you make an offer, I will gladly provide references then as I will need to give them a 2 week notice and I am sure you will not have issue with that as I would do the same for your company". Use your own words of course...

As an employer, I have never hired solely on references. And references have never been a make or break decider...they certainly assist my overall perception sometimes. Having said that, I have gone against "references opinions" and hired employees anyways. Turns out I was right.

References in short are dated and should be jettisoned from the employment process. Because for all I know I could be talking to an employee who no longer works at your current company, I could be talking to a relative or friend, etc. Its not even a requirement for most companies these days...when I say most companies I mean professional organizations outside of EMS.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Ahhhhh... Wasn’t that refreshing? I just love the smell of professionalism.

Thanks @akflightmedic

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You tell the potential new company directly...."I am still at my current job and if you do not select me for this position, I still need that job. You evaluate and hire me on my experience, knowledge and interview. If you make an offer, I will gladly provide references then as I will need to give them a 2 week notice and I am sure you will not have issue with that as I would do the same for your company". Use your own words of course...

As an employer, I have never hired solely on references. And references have never been a make or break decider...they certainly assist my overall perception sometimes. Having said that, I have gone against "references opinions" and hired employees anyways. Turns out I was right.

References in short are dated and should be jettisoned from the employment process. Because for all I know I could be talking to an employee who no longer works at your current company, I could be talking to a relative or friend, etc. Its not even a requirement for most companies these days...when I say most companies I mean professional organizations outside of EMS.
This is effectively what I ended up telling the recruiter, which didn't really seem to ruffle too many feathers. I think it's probably a hospital wide requirement to use the silly skillsurvey thing, but man, what a way to put people in hot water.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well I just applied for an NDMS Paramedic position. Who knows if I will be even considered or if they are still hiring. Also I think I put "Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)" and "Basic Life Support (BLS)" 10 times each in my resume just to try to get it past the stupid computer HR filters.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Well I just applied for an NDMS Paramedic position. Who knows if I will be even considered or if they are still hiring. Also I think I put "Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)" and "Basic Life Support (BLS)" 10 times each in my resume just to try to get it past the stupid computer HR filters.
NDMS?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Well I'm for the most part settled at my new place. Got phone, internet, and cable on the way and all I need is a shed in the backyard. Pretty impressive considering that Monday-Friday I've been doing orientation at my new job.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
National Disaster Medical System. They get deployed during disasters to help support medical care. Kinda like the USAR teams but medical focus.

CALEMT

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm over on the dark side where we wear yellow pants... did it for the cookies lol... still part time at the evil empire though.
The cookies really are tasty....they go great with the Kool Aid too...

Instead of Ubering, I'm starting to think if I go back to school I could do part time work for the evil empire out here too..

Or I could reup in the Reserves or just pick up more yellow pant OT...someone's gotta handle all those fire alarms! (We had 2 of those, only 1 medical yestersay... )

CALEMT

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
What flavor do you have? We have Grape.
Lemonade...kinda wish we had cherry, but... *sips* ....it is kinda refreshing... *sips* ...yellows not a bad color scheme... *drinks glass* ...its actually a more visible color...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Lemonade...kinda wish we had cherry, but... *sips* ....it is kinda refreshing... *sips* ...yellows not a bad color scheme... *drinks glass* ...its actually a more visible color...
This might not be lemonade.

#HazeMuchTheseDays?
What flavor do you have? We have Grape.
I do love me some purple drank. As an aside, I’m pretty sure I am addicted to the grape flavors that both Rockstar and Monster offer.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
People, I swear....OD...found in the tub with water....and ice in his pants....at least they had sense enough to keep his head out of the water...

On the other hand, NPA+NRB+2mg Narcan/250cc has proven to be FANTASTIC.