the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The G stands for gentle care ambulance Inc. ! Lol, are you guys still not allowed to respond in code 3?

Nope, not any of the Gentles (GCTI, Gentle Ride etc) lol

And nope, automatically respond Code 2. Fire can upgrade us to Code 3 if they want though. ALS transports to the hospital are Code 3 though (with the Rescue squad leading)

The story I got (and take this with however big a grain of salt you wish) was that the City of Torrance didn't even want the FD to respond Code 3 because they didn't like all the noise, but the fire union put a stop to that. Apparently the Engine and Rescue responding code to every call while the ambulance doesn't was the compromise.

Though today we had a CCT call the nurse deemed to be a Code 3 transport

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This must be LA county, because caring what a fire captain has to say just does not compute with me. Just one more example of the backwards world of California, and LA county in particular.

LA Co yes. LA Co FD No, we respond with Torrance Fire Dept

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
That's the same BS they told us back in the Santa Monica days, I'm guessing it's an insurance thing, maybe prior accidents ?? All I know is that when americare took over guess what else changed...

ysutezu8.jpg
I'd personally rather just wear cargo pants and keep that stuff in a cargo pocket (or you know, in the go bag)

But the great Fire Gods have deemed we must wear them on all 911 calls, so wear them we shall, unless you feel like having the captain pull you aside for an *** chewing. (Plus since FD responds Code 3 and we only respond Code 2, they usually get there first and so we generally only bring in the gurney at that point since they have their go bags already)

I suppose it beats having to open up the small Rubbermaid bin containing PPE anytime PPE is needed.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
LA Co yes. LA Co FD No, we respond with Torrance Fire Dept

Not digging on you. I know you're just playing the game. It's just the ego game I dislike. I see no need for an "arsechewing," when a professionally and mutually respectful conversation of concern should happen.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Not digging on you. I know you're just playing the game. It's just the ego game I dislike. I see no need for an "arsechewing," when a professionally and mutually respectful conversation of concern should happen.

No worries. I've only been there a few days so I personally haven't seen that happen (though all the FTOs kept saying that's what would happen). I do kinda believe because on my first call w/ Fire it was a pt at a SNF on contact precautions so we had all gowned up, but my partner just had his safety glasses on top of his head and as we went back into the hallway to grab the gurney one if the fire guys pulled him aside to tell him to put them on. While it really wasn't an *** chewing as I'd define it, it was in the tone of a sergeant correcting a private (he put the glasses on and continued PT care w/out further incident)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've seen more than a few local LA Co dialysis companies wear t-shirts for their uniforms.

What do y'all think about badges? My old IFT only company wore them. But my new 911 company doesn't. Personally that just seems a little backwards to me but oh well, such is life lol

Our summer uniforms are T shirts with our title on the back and our agency. I'm not a fan personally but they are nice when it's >100*

We don't wear badges. I'm glad we don't we already look too much like cops.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our summer uniforms are T shirts with our title on the back and our agency. I'm not a fan personally but they are nice when it's >100*

We wear everything regardless of the temp. Uniform, undershirt, metal badge, ems pants, and boots.

After seeing other areas wearing only T shirts or polos I'm glad we wear uniforms. Those we saw wearing T shirts were always half tucked in, wrinkled, faded, with stains all over it. Hard to look professional when you look like a complete slob. (Not directing this at you in the slightest, just from the crews I have personally seen)

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
ysutezu8.jpg

Not very big at all. About the size of one of those tourist fanny packs my mom used to wear to family trips to Disneyland back in the day lol Except this ones the same navy blue as our uniform with the company logo silkscreened on. Nice touch I suppose but it's still a friggen fanny pack.

Today was only my fourth shift and first since clearing field training. The only item I've used was the safety glasses. If personally rather just wear cargo pants and keep that stuff in a cargo pocket (or you know, in the go bag)

But the great Fire Gods have deemed we must wear them on all 911 calls, so wear them we shall, unless you feel like having the captain pull you aside for an *** chewing. (Plus since FD responds Code 3 and we only respond Code 2, they usually get there first and so we generally only bring in the gurney at that point since they have their go bags already)

As far as who makes them, no clue. The only tag I managed to find said "Made In China" (shocking I know)

Idk if you can read the logo on my über awesome pic, but I'm actually based out of Torrance, that ought to narrow it down some.

Jim congrats on the new job. Although I would die having to work within that system.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief

EMS personnel, me included, are the only ones I've ever interacted with that were either happy to not have badges, or happy to get rid of them, when and if it happened. I remember a conversation with a fire captain who thought I was crazy that I was happy that we'd gotten rid of badges at my place of work at the time. I just don't see a big deal.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We wear everything regardless of the temp. Uniform, undershirt, metal badge, ems pants, and boots.

After seeing other areas wearing only T shirts or polos I'm glad we wear uniforms. Those we saw wearing T shirts were always half tucked in, wrinkled, faded, with stains all over it. Hard to look professional when you look like a complete slob. (Not directing this at you in the slightest, just from the crews I have personally seen)

They hold us to high standards. Tucked in, not faded, no cracked screen printing. Like DEMedic said, they basically throw uniforms at us plus my bi-annual boot allowance.

I've definitely seen sloppy looking crews though but they usually get reprimanded. Our FDs wear t-shirts in the summer as well.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
They hold us to high standards. Tucked in, not faded, no cracked screen printing. Like DEMedic said, they basically throw uniforms at us plus my bi-annual boot allowance.

I've definitely seen sloppy looking crews though but they usually get reprimanded. Our FDs wear t-shirts in the summer as well.

Our fire departments are odd. Some days they will be in T shirts, other days they will all be in uniform, other other days some of the crew will be in uniforms and others will be in T shirts.

The only time we are allowed to wear T shirts is for the month of October. We can either wear our regular uniform or a pink company T shirt for breast cancer.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Our fire departments are odd. Some days they will be in T shirts, other days they will all be in uniform, other other days some of the crew will be in uniforms and others will be in T shirts.

So Rescue Me isn't being unrealistic when some of the crew is in the button up uniform shirts, some are in polos and the rest in t-shirts? Lol

Kidding kidding. Rescue Me (I almost abbreviated it as RM but then I realized someone might think I was suddenly talking about Rural Metro lol) is my current Amazon Prime go to show and the lack of uniform uniformity was bugging me earlier today lol

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

The only time we are allowed to wear T shirts is for the month of October. We can either wear our regular uniform or a pink company T shirt for breast cancer.

And sometimes the captains wear flip flops!

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
RM isn't as realistic as Chicago Fire, I totally perform pericardialcentisis while going code 3, I'm totally a lesbian all though I'm a guy, girls are beautiful

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Our office staff has awesome pink polos that are embroidered they wear in October. I'd absolutely sport on in the field. We do have pink gloves and pink shears though. Unfortunately he gloves aren't quite as strong as our usual ones.