the 100% directionless thread

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I'd love to know when a crew decided "stage away from scene" became optional direction...

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Got my first code save, and I feel terrible about it...

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Heartbeat but no neuro function?

Oh, he had plenty of neuro function. In fact, a few minutes post arrest, he was talking, and subsequently vomited all over me and the ambulance...pulling my line in the process/amio drip in the process.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oh, he had plenty of neuro function. In fact, a few minutes post arrest, he was talking, and subsequently vomited all over me and the ambulance...pulling my line in the process/amio drip in the process.

Why are you feeling bad about it then? :wacko:

ToyotaTruck

Forum Crew Member
I never post in this thread but I need to vent a little right now. So I am in Cabo on vacation for 5 days and today someone pulled a 7 year old boy out of the pool. He was AOx0, pulseless and had aspirated alot of water. When I got to the kid he had been down for 3 minutes already with people giving TV/Movie CPR on him. I stepped in after I made sure the hotel supervisor had called EMS. Worked the kid for 10 minutes while waiting for ems asking the supervisor over and over if they had an AED, medical kit, and to make sure that ems was coming. This being Mexico they had none of the things, and no one who worked at the hotel was first aid or CPR trained except me. Ems finally shows up to the pool and it is one guy in a jumpsuit with a cross on it, no gurney, no backboard, no aed, no bvm so I pick the kid up and quickly follow the ems guy to the ambulance. The gurney w/backboard is sitting there right next to the ambulance along with this guy's partner. He took over compressions and I left it there after attempting a report in Spanish. Im not sure if the child made it but it did not look good.

Tomorrow I am going to meet with the Manager of the resort and explain to him that this hotel needs some sort of emergency medical intervention if something like this happens again (and it will with all of the unsupervised children). Any tips when I talk to him? Suggestions?
My first time doing CPR and it is on a 7 year old kid and I think I feel totally fine I think. Thanks for reading this if you did.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I never post in this thread but I need to vent a little right now. So I am in Cabo on vacation for 5 days and today someone pulled a 7 year old boy out of the pool. He was AOx0, pulseless and had aspirated alot of water. When I got to the kid he had been down for 3 minutes already with people giving TV/Movie CPR on him. I stepped in after I made sure the hotel supervisor had called EMS. Worked the kid for 10 minutes while waiting for ems asking the supervisor over and over if they had an AED, medical kit, and to make sure that ems was coming. This being Mexico they had none of the things, and no one who worked at the hotel was first aid or CPR trained except me. Ems finally shows up to the pool and it is one guy in a jumpsuit with a cross on it, no gurney, no backboard, no aed, no bvm so I pick the kid up and quickly follow the ems guy to the ambulance. The gurney w/backboard is sitting there right next to the ambulance along with this guy's partner. He took over compressions and I left it there after attempting a report in Spanish. Im not sure if the child made it but it did not look good.

Tomorrow I am going to meet with the Manager of the resort and explain to him that this hotel needs some sort of emergency medical intervention if something like this happens again (and it will with all of the unsupervised children). Any tips when I talk to him? Suggestions?
My first time doing CPR and it is on a 7 year old kid and I think I feel totally fine I think. Thanks for reading this if you did.

While your intention seems extremely good, but remember it is Mexico. Mexico seems as if it doesn't really hold high standards.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Why are you feeling bad about it then? :wacko:

Eh, because I don't like how the call went. It started pretty well, defib to pulsatile vtach, then cardioverted to sinus tach. Launched the chopper, and hung amiodarone.

However, I should have thought of pushing some Zofran for prophylaxis, and I was unable to get a 12-lead. I don't know, I was just a little disappointed in myself.

Edit: In the ED, they found a massive anterioseptal infarct. I received some follow up, and I guess the guy made it to the cath lab fine, and they placed an IABP.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Eh, because I don't like how the call went. It started pretty well, defib to pulsatile vtach, then cardioverted to sinus tach. Launched the chopper, and hung amiodarone.

However, I should have thought of pushing some Zofran for prophylaxis, and I was unable to get a 12-lead. I don't know, I was just a little disappointed in myself.

And how long have you been a medic for? You've probably heard it before but with the serious calls you will always be disappointed in what you did or didn't do.

It was your first save so things are going to be out of order. It takes time for anyone to be able to remember everything that you should have done. It's just like doing CPR for the first time, your mind is all over the place but after you do it enough you will get better and better.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for reading this if you did.

Wow sucks to have to see that on your vacation. Sounds like you did everything you could for the kid. I guess its a reminder of how lucky we are to have good healthcare in our home countries. That kid probably died, yet the outcome may have been different if it had happened in the US.

Edit: In the ED, they found a massive anterioseptal infarct. I received some follow up, and I guess the guy made it to the cath lab fine, and they placed an IABP.

There's always things to improve on. You achieved ROSC which is the important thing. At least you have this experience to draw on for future cases.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
And how long have you been a medic for? You've probably heard it before but with the serious calls you will always be disappointed in what you did or didn't do.

It was your first save so things are going to be out of order. It takes time for anyone to be able to remember everything that you should have done. It's just like doing CPR for the first time, your mind is all over the place but after you do it enough you will get better and better.

Coming up on a year...

I suppose I'm just a perfectionist, and get a little disappointed when I feel like I fail myself, I'm weird like that. Either way, he's alive, so I guess that's what's important.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Coming up on a year...

I suppose I'm just a perfectionist, and get a little disappointed when I feel like I fail myself, I'm weird like that. Either way, he's alive, so I guess that's what's important.

He's alive and he got to throw up on you. What could possibly be better then that? :p

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343196450.695761.jpg

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
He's alive and he got to throw up on you. What could possibly be better then that? :p

An apology for the vomitus!

Or backing up another unit on a code right after that, and getting to intubate without having to do any paperwork. :p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just looked at the schedule for the EMT class starting up next month. It is now an 8 unit class.

This is the second semester that we are having a reading prerequisite in order to get into the class. It seemed to have a really good outcome last semester so we are trying it again.

And now we have a new age requirement in place.

As of 5 days ago total class size for the 3 different instructors was about 40 students. 2 semesters ago it was 129 students.

Lower number of applicants but higher quality ones. This should make for a pretty good semester.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yar got off 45 minutes late after being sent north to pick up supplies for the medics...the same medics that were chilling/sleeping at the base the whole time...Yar.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hypothermic kid in July...That one threw me for a loop. I didn't believe the thermometer at first then I took my own temp and it was normal and I became a believer and started sweating my *** off with the heater on in the back of the ambulance.

After working 12 hours on not enough sleep I have to be back at work for a CQI meeting in a little less than three hours :angry:

Massive anteriolateral MI with runs of VT, A&Ox4 -> "I'm dizzy" -> grand mal seizure -> VF, defib -> talking, amio drip -> VF, defib -> talking -> VT without pulses, defib -> talking -> VF, defib -> talking -> VF, defib -> talking -> VF, defib -> talking -> hospital defibbed 2 more times, RSI -> cath lab.

My guy is alive and well in the CICU today per the ER charge nurse. Didn't get a chance to go up and see him but I'm hoping to go say hello next week, maybe even in my shiny new paramedic shirt :D

Anyone know how much ACLS initial certification usually costs? Only place around here is $350, does that sound right? I wish I could just do it through my hospital but they only do it a few times a year and none are anytime soon

My agency does it for $200 bucks and we have 8 bazillion classes available, kinda far from you though...

Got my first code save, and I feel terrible about it...

Do we need to go over this again ya jackwagon!?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Do we need to go over this again ya jackwagon!?

Absolutely! I call you super medic extraordinaire, and all I get is jackwagon? :(