the 100% directionless thread

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Did you ever go get properly fitted for running shoes? Go to a running store and get your feet measured and fitted by one of their employees. The shoes that are awesome for one person could be horrible on you.

Lol oh yes. I used to run collegiate xc, all the shoes they gave us were fit to us (though those are the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s that gave me the Pegasus! Lol!). And I'm at my running store on a near weekly basis :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
You shouldn't listen to a word Kate says, she LIES .... Brown is house trained, can cook, clean, launder, change diaper, vacuum, all sorts

Interesting you mention change diapers. Have Mr and Mrs Brown created a little brown yet?

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Lol oh yes. I used to run collegiate xc, all the shoes they gave us were fit to us (though those are the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s that gave me the Pegasus! Lol!). And I'm at my running store on a near weekly basis :p

Heh, ok. I'm used to people not having a clue about running shoes and torturing themselves with off the shelf random tennis shoes while they run. I hope you find good shoes again!

So you like those Vibrams? I have friends who swear by them, but it just feels horrible to me. I have really high arches and I think my feet can't take no support.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Heh, ok. I'm used to people not having a clue about running shoes and torturing themselves with off the shelf random tennis shoes while they run. I hope you find good shoes again!

So you like those Vibrams? I have friends who swear by them, but it just feels horrible to me. I have really high arches and I think my feet can't take no support.

I LOVE my vibrams! :D The first time I tried to start wearing them I went out too fast and injured myself. I eased into them this time and now they're great! Except I'm not a fan of running on asphalt/concrete with them. I much prefer grass/trails/creek beds/whatever.

YCALR

Forum Crew Member
Wore the Sauconys for a couple months prior to getting my newest shoes and never had any issues until recently. But they're still in good shape, still have probably 200mi in them

I've never had a good fitting Nike, and my last pair, some Pegasus, managed to rub two severe blisters on both my feet to the point that my socks were saturated with blood by the end oh the (8ish mile) run >=[

Yea, I would definitely not like Nikes if that happened to me... lol hope you find something that works for you...

YCALR

Forum Crew Member

You're right, it is very important to get properly fitted. Everyone is different, I actually used to manage a shoe store and there are so mamy little tricks to measuring someone's foot, arch etc. I was big on selling shoes that actually worked for the customer instead of selling something because of the price!

Good luck, you can find arch insoles that can be molded to your feet.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
You're right, it is very important to get properly fitted. Everyone is different, I actually used to manage a shoe store and there are so mamy little tricks to measuring someone's foot, arch etc. I was big on selling shoes that actually worked for the customer instead of selling something because of the price!

Oh yes. It took me (and the very nice person at the running store) about a year and 2 pairs of shoes/insoles to find what is right for me, but it is so worth it. I like the pink SuperFeet for plain street running. I'm not a long distance sort of runner, but I can't do without my 3 miles a day. :)

Since this is the random thread, here's what I spent all day doing today with my classes to introduce the concept that waves carry energy.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zoTKXXNQIU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

There's cornstarch everywhere and the speaker is probably dead, but it was excellent fun. (That's not my video, just one I found showing the same thing.)

Last edited by a moderator:

NREMTroe

Forum Crew Member
I'm on day 3 of my 7 day off stretch.. This is already going way too fast.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
firefite said:
I like doing pt in my fire boots. It's exactly like having 5 pound ankle weights on. Lol. But it's not the best thing to run in...

Ugh... I can't even imagine. My feet kill me after wearing mine for more than 30 minutes. It's more that they're way too big than the weight, though.

I haven't yet. My arch is too high for the molding beds on the custom ones, so I'm stuck stacking those little arch supports on top of bigger insoles. I'm thinking of trying Vibrams and seeing if the opposite end of the spectrum will help.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
What kind of black magic is this?:ph34r:

Its science!! ;)

The sound waves produced by the speaker head are traveling through the corn starch. Because of the physical properties of the cornstarch, the energy carried by the sound waves creates those shapes. Different frequencies make different shapes because they have different amounts of energy.

The kids were pretty freaked out !

Edit: I'm sure you've seen this in a science museum with sand on an iron plate. If you search "sand vibrations"on youtube you can find neat videos.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Ugh... I can't even imagine. My feet kill me after wearing mine for more than 30 minutes. It's more that they're way too big than the weight, though.

I haven't yet. My arch is too high for the molding beds on the custom ones, so I'm stuck stacking those little arch supports on top of bigger insoles. I'm thinking of trying Vibrams and seeing if the opposite end of the spectrum will help.

Try the SuperFeet inserts! I have very high arches also and they work for me. Vibrams absolutley do not work. They have no arch support, being made for barefoot running.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm thinking of trying Vibrams and seeing if the opposite end of the spectrum will help.
Worked for me, but the other way around. Extremely flat feet with horrible pronation for me, but vibrams work much better for me than custom fit shoes. One of the biggest plusses with vibrams is they help you adjust your form

Tommerag

What day is it?
Finally haz the iPhone woot woot

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

a firefighter bought them wore them for 6 months then grew out of them and gave them to me. so they got formed to his feet but walking in knee deep water fixed that problem. at the current moment i dont have enough money to buy boots to wear for EMS so im stuck with the huge things for a while (its already been 3 years with them lol).

Sasha

Forum Chief

8jimi8

CFRN