the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Don't drive like a jackass?

I don't. I'm a very safe driver.

But I didn't think I'd have to explain to people here the fact that I can't control every car on the road, every weather pattern and possible variable.

I've had to dodge debris, jaywalking pedestrians, animals, people who run lights and merge when I'm in their blind spot (I don't stay there) and without signals and people who at the last moment didn't want to take exits afterall and I could go on about why it might not be my fault.

The point is, I don't get insurance to make me feel like I have a license to drive crappily. I have it in case others have theirs.

I'm not infallible. But I do try to drive properly.

CALEMT

But I didn't think I'd have to explain to people here the fact that I can't control every car on the road, every weather pattern and possible variable.

I've had to dodge debris, jaywalking pedestrians, animals, people who run lights and merge when I'm in their blind spot (I don't stay there) and without signals and people who at the last moment didn't want to take exits afterall and I could go on about why it might not be my fault.

I didn't think I would have to explain to an adult that if you're not at fault in a collision then the other persons insurance pays for the repairs providing you're involved in a vehicle to vehicle collision.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
64A21D4E-0E41-44FA-A2CD-87EB6760B20B.jpeg

We picked a good week to take the chalupas to Disneyland. Every ride was a 30-40 minute wait at best, even Star Wars Land.

#NotASciFiGeek

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I just want you all to know that writing research papers in AMA format is not the funnest thing in the world.
I'd rather be transporting a drunk patient all the way across town right about now.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I don't. I'm a very safe driver.

The point is, I don't get insurance to make me feel like I have a license to drive crappily. I have it in case others have theirs.

I'm not infallible. But I do try to drive properly.
Advice? You worry too much, and you don’t have the means to afford the luxury of expensive insurance.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I went over budget Again and calculated take home pay and my expenses. I'll be okay even if I'm spending 200$ on car insurance.

I found a plan with my current carrier for less than 200 with almost the same coverages.

The car is still worth several thousand, so with full coverage and all, I think that's good.

CALEMT

The car is still worth several thousand, so with full coverage and all, I think that's good.

If it's paid off then theres no real need for full coverage. Chances are with the year and the miles on the vehicle insurance would just pay out out vs repairing it. I'm not telling you what to do, but you could save $150 a month by going with liability. Thats gas money, food, emergency money.

Even with an at fault collision I was still paying under $200 a month (with full coverage)... and I was under 25 years old living in Southern CA just to give you a reference.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If it's paid off then theres no real need for full coverage. Chances are with the year and the miles on the vehicle insurance would just pay out out vs repairing it. I'm not telling you what to do, but you could save $150 a month by going with liability. Thats gas money, food, emergency money.

Even with an at fault collision I was still paying under $200 a month (with full coverage)... and I was under 25 years old living in Southern CA just to give you a reference.
You could also save $150 a month by switching to Geico.

Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk.

CALEMT

This IS with geico. We've had geico for years

My insurance is GEICO. Not that I'm selling GEICO but you are aware that it stands for government employees insurance company right? They gave me a discount with my paramedic card... I'm sure they'll do the same with an EMT card.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My insurance is GEICO. Not that I'm selling GEICO but you are aware that it stands for government employees insurance company right? They gave me a discount with my paramedic card... I'm sure they'll do the same with an EMT card.

I asked and they said no, that EMT wasn't on the list. But the agent was like "That's a paramedic, right"? So, eh

Edit: Yes, I know the acronym. Also, not sure if I would count working private and not government EMS.

CALEMT

Also, not sure if I would count working private and not government EMS.

I must have either had someone cool or uneducated cause I got it while working for AMR.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I'll check. Any money less spent (it's not saving money, it's just spending less) is good.
So here's the thing with insurance.

For the most part, it's a sunk cost, like a utility. Its primary function is to cover the cost of damage you might do to someone else, which is why it's mandatory to have liability insurance. Unless you have a new vehicle that is financed, you will never recover the value of your own damaged property. A 2004 4Runner is going to average around 3-4k in value, but if totaled, your insurer will cut you a check for <$2000. In all honesty, if you're paying more than $100 a month for auto insurance, you're overpaying and will never get a return on that money. With an AMR EMT wage, you'll need to really consider if you want it. It might be a better plan to invest the difference in a savings account to replace the 4Runner when mechanical failure claims it.
Along those lines, you should know LTC insurance is highly questionable in its legitimacy. If it's like $10 a month, no biggie, but if it's like $50, I'd let it go. That's just me though.