the 100% directionless thread

Do you work with CodeBru1984?
I cannot confirm not deny...
@ViolynEMT, yes we work at the same out fit, as do a handful of others on here. All of whom have had the (dis)pleasure of being my tech.

In a bit of an ironic twist, some of the SoCal folks who shall remain nameless---(coughs) @CALEMT (coughs)---have used the term "Kern County Cult" to describe us, but in all reality we're but a bunch of ex-SoCal refugees ourselves:).

That sucks, but perhaps an omen, brother. I hear Tacomas are pretty bad ***.
They are very badass. Just very outside my price range. Probably looking at a budget of $1500 to replace it for now. My credit sucks and I'm trying to rebuild it, so a financed car is out of the question at the moment.

They are very badass. Just very outside my price range. Probably looking at a budget of $1500 to replace it for now. My credit sucks and I'm trying to rebuild it, so a financed car is out of the question at the moment.
Ever look into federal surplus cars? Some pretty good steals out there.. or municipal auctions(asset forfeiture cars)

Ever look into federal surplus cars? Some pretty good steals out there.. or municipal auctions(asset forfeiture cars)
I've been trying to find out info locally, but no one seems to know about them

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I've been trying to find out info locally, but no one seems to know about them

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Are you SoCal? There's auctions every few days, as far as I know. I got my first 2 cars from federal auctions.

Are you SoCal? There's auctions every few days, as far as I know. I got my first 2 cars from federal auctions.
Nope, Galveston county, Texas

What's next?
Should be the interview. Well, actually the "Hurry up and Wait" game for them to schedule interviews! Could be up to 6 months or more, could be next month also lol, just have to wait and see :) Though they did say that interviews will be scheduled based on department funding and your rank on the written test (apparently the PAT is simply Pass/Fail not a ranked event)

Should be the interview. Well, actually the "Hurry up and Wait" game for them to schedule interviews! Could be up to 6 months or more, could be next month also lol, just have to wait and see :) Though they did say that interviews will be scheduled based on department funding and your rank on the written test (apparently the PAT is simply Pass/Fail not a ranked event)
Right on. Strong work, brother! Just curious, are they an ALL BLS department? I know Hawaii EMS is a different animal, but that is about all I know.

From what I can gather yes, HFD is a BLS department, somewhat similar to what you'd be familiar with up in Bakersfield and Kern Co I believe? BLS First response FD, the ambulances come from a City and County Third Service agency (with backup provided by AMR I believe, I know I saw a couple of their rigs on the island including one running code with their somewhat distinctive van style rear light setup lol)

From what I can gather yes, HFD is a BLS department, somewhat similar to what you'd be familiar with up in Bakersfield and Kern Co I believe? BLS First response FD, the ambulances come from a City and County Third Service agency (with backup provided by AMR I believe, I know I saw a couple of their rigs on the island including one running code with their somewhat distinctive van style rear light setup lol)
Mahalo, yeah I actually met an HFD FF while on vacation with the family at Disneyland. He didn't much elaborate about provider level, but this was my assumption as well, but did say where he was stationed at they mainly got AMR as their EMS provider (perhaps island/ county dependent?). I

t definitely seems like an awesome place to live, and work. I will say, I can't remember who, but I want to say a former Hawaii EMS person had posted on here a very insightful post about EMS, and life there in general. They'd made a very good point about how it is a completely different lifestyle, culture, and way of living. I doubt you'd struggle if you did get hired though, Jim.

Yeah all the times I've been out here (well this is my third ever trip, first was for the written test last year, very first was years and years ago back after my first deployment me and my parents and sister took vacation out here on R&R) I always see the County EMS units running around code....always weirds me out when I have to pull over on the freeway for them, because at least in LA we're strongly discouraged from running code on the freeway (one time I was responding to a call out of district and hopped on the freeway and kept my lights on to cut around a spot of traffic using the shoulder, and dispatch hit us up on the rig's Nextel asking us to confirm if we were lights and sirens on the freeway!)

I think this was the first trip I saw AMR running around out here....I looked it up, apparently the City and County of Honolulu EMS only has 20 ambulances (compared to 43 Engine companies) so it doesn't at all surprise me that AMR prob gets regular backup requests

Back