the 100% directionless thread

emt_irl

Forum Captain
this time tomorow i should be well on the way to nyc on the plane.. but sadly for tonight im doing standby at a boy band concert with 82,000 screaming teenage fans, oh how fun

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Finished day 1 of orientation with AMR. It's pretty unorganized, I mean they're rushing to get medics and EMTs out there to work.

I have heard this about AMR all over. Throw ya to the wolves kinda deal. :-( Hope you have experience!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Not quite universal. I had a week long orientation and then my FTO time. Just depends I guess.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Not quite universal. I had a week long orientation and then my FTO time. Just depends I guess.

Same; but quantity does not equal quality. A week long orientation cosisting of 16 hours of EVOC, 16 hours of billing procedures, and 4 hours of grievance procedures and the like does not really prepare one for the horror that is to come... FTO time equals 60 hours of proof reading trip tickets so you don't get called into the sups office for failing to charge for sheets on a run from 4 months ago that you don't remember. Somewhere in all that I am sure they taught one or two things that mattered... the rest you learn as you go or you hopefully know already... In the end you may be Almost Medically Resposibile... :p

mct601

RN/NRP
Well as I stated, I won't be working in the system running 911- I'll be manning a first aid tent or truck on the sidelines of the oil spill clean up.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Just finished chemically sedating a patient with Valium afrer she bit my partner, then wrestled her to the cot and used cravats to physically restrain her when she tried kicking at us.

I love this job. I don't love the novel of a pcr I had to write after the call.

Call me crazy, but I love writing really dry and dense PCRs for really weird calls. It's too ironic.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Something you never want to hear the radiologist say when you're being rolled out of X-ray.... "Well that's really weird!" :wacko:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Going to be in Klackamas County for a couple weeks.

Don't nobody steal the flatware while I'm gone.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
sittin in my hotel in nyc, holy crap the ems is busy here every couple of minutes i seen a ambulance fly past, and there so much bigger and louder then back home!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
sittin in my hotel in nyc, holy crap the ems is busy here every couple of minutes i seen a ambulance fly past, and there so much bigger and louder then back home!

Are you in Manhattan?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
In the past three shifts I've had to chemically and physically restrain a combative patient, ran on an unresponsive patient, and just got done with an MI call. And I work IFT.

We were dispatched l&s to pick up a heart and a doctor for an hour long transport, but we got cancelled just as we pulled to the hospital... heart wasn't viable.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
We were dispatched l&s to pick up a heart and a doctor for an hour long transport, but we got cancelled just as we pulled to the hospital... heart wasn't viable.

That stinks... would've been fun to BS with the doc... assuming they would have been friendly that is.

So I think I've got that ICU tech job... did my second interview with 3 staff nurses today and it went awesome. We ended the interview nearly rolling on the floor laughing and BSing about those crazy "Shape-Up" shoes. To see said shoes, look at the feet of any local nursing staff. They're all wearing them. :rolleyes:

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
We ended the interview nearly rolling on the floor laughing and BSing about those crazy "Shape-Up" shoes. To see said shoes, look at the feet of any local nursing staff. They're all wearing them. :rolleyes:

I have yet to understand how a pair of shoes is going to shape a person up. Been seeing those things all over town it seems. Met one lady that swears by them, I just shake my head and wonder about some people.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
So I think I've got that ICU tech job... did my second interview with 3 staff nurses today and it went awesome. We ended the interview nearly rolling on the floor laughing and BSing about those crazy "Shape-Up" shoes. To see said shoes, look at the feet of any local nursing staff. They're all wearing them. :rolleyes:

A lot of people seem to swear by them (or earth shoes, or crocs, or other stuff that makes you look really stupid) for plantar fasciitis. When I got diagnosed recently, one of the first things the doc told me was that now I knew why so many hospital staff were wearing funny-looking shoes. Lucky for me, I'm fine using plain old inserts.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I don't get the shaping-up nonsense.... however, the two nurses wearing them SWORE by them for overall comfort working 12 hrs on your feet. Who knows...

At least they're not as goofy looking as these ridiculous shoes:

z-coil.jpg

DaniGrrl

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I don't get the shaping-up nonsense.... however, the two nurses wearing them SWORE by them for overall comfort working 12 hrs on your feet. Who knows...

z-coil.jpg

But those are way sexy. :p

8jimi8

CFRN

z-coil.jpg

Those shoes are not for shaping up, they are for back pain

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Those shoes are not for shaping up, they are for back pain

I know, but they look extremely ridiculous. I've seen docs and nurses wearing them and I'm always waiting for them to get angry and spring right out of the ceiling like a superhero.

8jimi8

CFRN
I know, but they look extremely ridiculous. I've seen docs and nurses wearing them and I'm always waiting for them to get angry and spring right out of the ceiling like a superhero.

they are pretty comfy, kinda like walking on a cloud, but i just couldnt spend $200 on them. I ended up just wearing my station boots with good insoles. I did eventually purchase a 2nd pair of boots, so that I don't have to wear the same pair 2 days in a row. Really helps keep the smelling clean.