the 100% directionless thread

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Fuel fire boilovers are awesome. Just "built" a scale model one for fire class.

Diesel fuel, water, paint can......pretty fireball.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
There's a 3 hour period last night where I have no recollection at all...

I'm NEVER like that.

D: Welcome to my party nights!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I love the REI Scratch and Dent sale :) Got a good jacket for CO, gloves, pack, and a new thermal tumbler for all under what the jacket alone would have cost new

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yay. A nice night working the floor. 14 patients, 3 nurses, and 2 techs (counting myself). And I really don't wanna do anything :) Short-timers syndrome.

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
three days til sunny florida!!! whoo hoo

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
THE PACIFIC STARTS TONIGHT HBO IN TEN MINUTES

the timing of course is on correct if you live on the pacific side of the US

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Had a MVC last night with 2 DOA.......those cows never saw it coming. On the plus side, we now have enough meat to last for a year. Lol. J/K. It was my first cow vs car though. Bloody mess. Thank goodness they found the 10 cows that made it across the road so we didn't have to go back out there later for another one.

edit....I should add that no people were hurt, although we didn't get to assess everyone involved. We think that the person who actually killed the cows left the scene before we got there.

Last edited by a moderator:

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wow

I was teaching an EMT class at the local college one night. The semester had just started and I having the students introduce themselves and explain why they want to become an EMT. After 20 minutes of the usual “I need this for my job” or “I want to be a firefighter”, a student asked to share a story if I didn’t mind. I encouraged him to take all the time he needs.

He walked up front and told the story of how he witnessed his mom collapse and go into cardiac arrest. He talked about how he didn’t know what to do and how scared he was. Then he started to explain what happened once the ambulance showed up. As his story went on, I started paying closer attention. This sounded familiar…..very familiar. After he told his story, I excused myself from the class for a minute and called a break. I made a call to my dispatch center and asked to reference the last name and see if any patient’s were run for a cardiac arrest in the last year. Just as I suspected, I ran his mom a little over a year ago. I was the paramedic that he was talking about.

Not quite sure how to approach this, I asked to speak to him in private. I thanked him for sharing the story and broke the news. He immediately teared up and gave me a big hug and thanked me over and over again. He went back in the class and announced to everyone that I was paramedic that saved his moms life. Everyone clapped for a good few minutes. I was full of emotion and didn’t really know how to act at that point. He went on to tell everyone that this is the very reason he wanted to become an EMT and eventually become a paramedic. I couldn’t believe it. I had inspired someone to do this job without even knowing.

He asked if I would be willing to share my side of the story, to which I did. I started from the point where we were dispatched an explained the series of events up until we reached the hospital. I watched tears come to everyones eyes and it wasn’t until that point that I truly understood why I do this job.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
Stupid 4.4 earthquake last night waking me up just as I was finally getting to sleep.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Got a call yesterday afternoon from the director of EOC asking if I could work in dispatch last night. Didnt really want to but said yes. Went in at 2300 not looking forward to spending the next eight hours sitting there handling the typical type of calls. At around 0400 I answered the 911 line only to hear my sister in law is having a baby, I quickly get units in route and turn to the child birth cards. I find this is child number three and the water has broken with contractions being three minutes apart. Keep in mind that this is a small dispatch center with only one person on duty at night,so things are getting hectic really fast. My nearest medic unit is about 15 minutes away and has to travel a rough long driveway to reach the patient. I was able to using the emd cards talk the husband and sister in law through the birth which occurred only9 minutes after taking the call.
This was my third time to do this,but I dont think you can do this sort of thing enough times for it to become routine. I am still stoked from the adreneline rush. I have also done several emds on cardiac arrests and in my opinion they are not as exciting as this was.
Just got back from the hospital where I met with all involved including the little girl I helped to bring into the world. This really brings a whole new light ont why we do this sort of thing.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why do course directors even put out a syllabus if they completely disregard it without notice?