the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
Now get this: My EMT expires at the end of 2009, as do 20-25% of the certs in the county. In order to recert I have to jump through all the hoops (again and again and again) and submit my mount of paperwork, skills sign off, copies of other certs, and CEs to the County EMS Coordinator, who has been on vacation for 5 weeks! Therefore, the earliest I can submit the paperwork in next Monday; which means that technically, I might not be an EMT for several days to start off the new year... until the new card come in the mail...
Your county is doing it wrong. When I recerted in 2007 in OC I walked in, filled out an application listing my CEs, refresher, CPR, and skills checkoff, and walked out with a new card.
Does that mean I get a 5 day ban from EMTLIFE? ^_^

I'm sure that could be arranged.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Your county is doing it wrong. When I recerted in 2007 in OC I walked in, filled out an application listing my CEs, refresher, CPR, and skills checkoff, and walked out with a new card.

Wait, let me translate that statement: "Mountian, my county EMSA is better than your county EMSA... which both exist in California... so in fact what I am doing is comparing dog crap to horse crap..." :p Seriously, how many stories do you know relating how well EMS is administrated in CA?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well... I'll be honest in saying that the situation in OC has improved since Stratton took over as the medical director. They are actual protocols now for basics, an actual published scope of practice (and the reintroduction of oral glucose at the basic level), and now everyone is forced to take a local accreditation course so everyone actually knows the policies put in place by the county. Of course there are still tons of stupidity involved (for example, apparently I worked past my scope of practice on every CCT I worked on since I applied a pulse ox probe. Also, the fact that the average EMT (B or P) is still considered so stupid that they need a step by step protocol for said application speaks volumes), there's just less stupidity than from two years ago.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
It's okay to be nervous. Just be yourself and be willing to admit that you don't know an answer to a question, but your willing to find out.

Good advice and thank you for the support. :)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks doll ^_^

Gee, thanks. I was drinking coke when I read this and now know how much carbonation hurts when it comes shooting out your nose.

My most sincere apologies. I do know what that feels like. Last time I did it though was 8th grade in front of a boy I had a crush on. :p

Good Luck! Got the call today that I got the job I interviewed last week, yippee!

Thanks! Congrats to you!!!

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I really need to find a better sort of makeup... crazy shifts, skin conditions, and cheap coverup just don't mix. :sad:

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I only hold back when I know the circumstances.:p Whats wrong Rural?

I just made a gingerbread house with my kids. It was horrible. I am kicking myself in the butt for making this a new family tradition. Those little suckers are hard work! I dont expect it to hold up until christmas.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
I only hold back when I know the circumstances.:p Whats wrong Rural?

I'm about to berserk on a few people. Couple teachers, one of whom had the balls (although shes a woman, it wouldnt surprise me if she did) to write the word bologna on the front of the research paper that I spent two whole weekends working on. (Whats really funny about that is she happened to spell it wrong) Where as the girl who turned in a 3 page paper (including cover sheet and sources) for a minimum 10 page paper got a higher grade than I did. To give you a background on this teacher, I had a friend who turned in a paper to her, it was given a 61%, 1% above an F. So what did he do? He sent it to Purdue and asked a Journalism Proffessor to look over it, she gave it a 89%. What really kills me is she rambled on about how if I use a source, and I have to use (sic) even once, I should not use that source, because if it has a mistake in it, then it is likely not accurate. Doesnt matter if I quoted 2 other sources that agreed with what that author said.

Then it doesnt help that one of my good friends decided to chew me out earlier in the day. She said that I don't deserve the grades that I get because:

"Everyone in this class went home last night and studied their *** off for the final today. Heck, I only slept 4 hours last night because I stayed up so late studying for this one final. Then you walk into this class joking that you don't need last minute study time, you want to get this over with. I know you did not study at all last night, I doubt your book has even been out of your locker in the past week. Then you are the only person in the class to get an A on the final let alone ace the damn thing. You know what, you can just go :censored: yourself you :censored:ing :censored:hole."

Realize that I have never known her to cuss, she considers it dirty and childish. She wont even say fudge, but, poop, ect in the context.

So not only am I ready to freak on a few people, I had a :censored:ty day in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
"Everyone in this class went home last night and studied their *** off for the final today. Heck, I only slept 4 hours last night because I stayed up so late studying for this one final. Then you walk into this class joking that you don't need last minute study time, you want to get this over with. I know you did not study at all last night, I doubt your book has even been out of your locker in the past week. Then you are the only person in the class to get an A on the final let alone ace the damn thing. You know what, you can just go :censored: yourself you :censored:ing :censored:hole."

She's gotta be fun to sit next to before an exam. Of course I'm known for humming the Final Jeopardy song before an exam starts and answering "Thursday afternoon" when asked if I'm ready for an exam Thursday morning.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, thats a little harsh, even if that were the case. Maybe she's just stressed and feeling the heat. Try not to take it personal. Mums the word on this one, IMO.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
She's gotta be fun to sit next to before an exam. Of course I'm known for humming the Final Jeopardy song before an exam starts and answering "Thursday afternoon" when asked if I'm ready for an exam Thursday morning.

See, this guy knows how to handle an exam. Sarcasm and humor; thats all it takes to boost confidence in exams. I will not touch the book in the last hour before the exam. If by some chance I were to find something that in no way will be on the test, but I don't know it; it'll freak me out. I find it's better to just sit there with a little Tom Clancy and keep your mind off it.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Here's the thing with tests - you either know your stuff or you don't. If you have to spend the night before a final cramming, then you don't belong in an ambulance. That's short term retention and sure as heck won't help a damn when the patient is in front of you.

As far as the grading on the final - as long as it doesn't threaten your continuation in the program - who gives a crap? The guy who finishes at the bottom of the program is still a medic/emt/doctor whatever.

The people who resent that you didn't spend the night cramming are immature little children. Let's hope they grow up before they have to make real decisions about real people.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
See, this guy knows how to handle an exam. Sarcasm and humor; thats all it takes to boost confidence in exams. I will not touch the book in the last hour before the exam. If by some chance I were to find something that in no way will be on the test, but I don't know it; it'll freak me out. I find it's better to just sit there with a little Tom Clancy and keep your mind off it.

My rule is 24 hours prior. I have found that if you don't know it by then, it is no use cramming in the final 24. That way you have a fresh brain on test day. Then right before the test, run over a few things you know that you have down for sure. Gets your brain going in first gear. Don't go over stuff you aren't 100% sure on though, you will feak out. Trust me......:blush:

Medic744

Forum Captain
Here's the thing with tests - you either know your stuff or you don't. If you have to spend the night before a final cramming, then you don't belong in an ambulance. That's short term retention and sure as heck won't help a damn when the patient is in front of you.

As far as the grading on the final - as long as it doesn't threaten your continuation in the program - who gives a crap? The guy who finishes at the bottom of the program is still a medic/emt/doctor whatever.

The people who resent that you didn't spend the night cramming are immature little children. Let's hope they grow up before they have to make real decisions about real people.

I was that person that never studied in Basic or Intermediate, in fact my basic instuctor literally had chest pain when he graded my final because I finished 2nd in the class and never cracked my book. In Paramedic I was one of 2 people taking the whole course so the guy was my competion to do better. I never gloated that I didnt have to study its just one of those things that came naturally and I would review the material but never crammed because you either know it or you dont and if you dont a few hours before the test of cramming isnt going to help.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant

This was actully advanced biology, not a EMT course. Should've made that more clear. But yeah, nothing pisses me of more than when teachers tell you exactly what will be on the final. I think finals should be to determine what you have learned, not what you have crammed.

Then even more agrivating, teachers who just teach you, for example, how to solve the calculus problems, no theory or anything. Yeah, if they teach me how to solve it I'll be able to do it for the next test, but unless I learn the theory behind how and why, then I probably won't be able to do it when finals come around, let alone add onto it in the next level.

A better example: I'm one of those weidos who learned photosynthesis with a molecular building kit, adding and subracting molecules. Not by memorizing names and the such.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief

that is so true. especialy about the resentment of others not cramming.
Other than I always want to get the highest score I can get for my own satisfaction.