Texas EMT reprimanded

TXMEDIC5317

Forum Crew Member
For those in Texas or anyone who can answer the question-

If you've ever looked in the back of Texas EMS magazine you'll see the disciplinary action section. I saw under one guys name it said -reprimanded for violating EMS Rules §157.36(b)(2), 157.36(b)(14), 157.36(b)(18), and 157.36(b)(28) relating to receiving a deferred adjudication for forgery, a state jail felony. (just an example) When you look up the word reprimanded, its states- a severe reproof or rebuke, especially a formal one by a person in authority.

So my question is what exactly happens to you and your certification when the state "reprimands you"?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It usually says what the punishment is in the Texas EMS mag, usually a suspension of the certification / license, sometimes a full dismissal, sometimes probation.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wtf why would they print that crap?

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wtf why would they print that crap?

Punishment.

They do it for individuals and agencies. Usually it's small stuff like "ABC Ambulance on probation for not having enough bandaids stocked on truck"

Sasha

Forum Chief
Thats stupid. Reprimand is one thing humiliation is another

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Up here professional Self-regulatory bodies (called Colleges) usually publish the details of disciplinary hearings in their respective publications and online. Their role, whether for Teachers, Physicians, Nurses or us (hopefully soon in Ontario) the role of the College is to protect the public. They do this by setting education and licensing standards and overseeing professional standards and competence. It's not a smear, it's transparency for an organization tasked with oversight of the profession.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
We do a public job that involves public trust. If you screw up badly enough to get reprimanded the public deserves to know that action was taken and the agency and the problem was addressed.

I have no issue with public release of information regarding the discipline of public servants.

Sasha

Forum Chief
But generally the public doesnt read ems magazines, it only serves to humiliate the emt/medic.

8jimi8

CFRN
But generally the public doesnt read ems magazines, it only serves to humiliate the emt/medic.

Sasha, you outrage is unjustified. The public needs to have to option to know.

Regulation of EMS is necessary to protect the people from shady practitioners. If you don't commit crimes, You don't get humiliated. Every nursing board does the same thing.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So this magazine publishing the names is saving the public from shady providers?? Because the public routinely reads EMS magazines and will read that section, see the name plate and go "No sir, you are not touching me"???

Regulation, punishment yes... humiliation no.

And I wouldn't call it outrage. I don't agree with it, and that's my right.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just curious, Sasha, what are your thoughts on a publicly accessible database online?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just curious, Sasha, what are your thoughts on a publicly accessible database online?

A database, fine... Printing them in a magazine just seems like humiliation.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

JPINFV

Gadfly
so you have no problems putting them online (like can be found here http://www.nj.gov/health/ems/legal.shtml), but putting them in an industry magazine is wrong?

If the goal is public awareness, I see her point. If you're hiring a contractor, do you start subscribing to trade publications to see who's been bad, or do you log onto the licensing board's website?

Sasha

Forum Chief
If the goal is public awareness, I see her point. If you're hiring a contractor, do you start subscribing to trade publications to see who's been bad, or do you log onto the licensing board's website?

Exactly! It's more effective that way anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
I was trying to find something like that but kept getting an error.

That I feel like it's more effective.. The public or employers aren't going to pick up a magazine to find out who they aren't going to hire... The magazine publishes it under the guise of public information but really it's just to further humiliate the person.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I don't see it as being any different than the who got arrested section of the local paper. I know my state has a public database. If you look someone up by name you can see any actions taken against their license. They also issue regular press releases listing any healthcare provider diciplined or charged with a violation.

They usually read something like "Jane Smith, 30, has been charged with unlawful use of an access device and theft. While employed at a long term care facility she reportedly took a patient's debit card and withdrew $300 on two different occasions without the patient's permission. Jane Smith has 20 days to respond to these charges".

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
I agree with it because then You know who's example NOT to follow

I always peruse the discipline section to see which of my peers are not practicing legally. Ive never found one of my coworkers

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't agree with it. And that's where we will have to agree to disagree.