Terrified! (kind of longish)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
"Be advised" I don't know what I am going for here, but yous guys get a cup of whatever you drink and settle in before you read it and tell me what you think. As it stands, I have no intentions of EVER riding with this guy again. EVER, EVER, EVER!!! I won't sign on for any overtime shifts with him.But at what point is his partner, whether regular or someone filling in while the FT EMT on the shift is off, at what point does the partner also become liable when he does hurt or kill someone. I don't mean hurting another employee. That would be handled internally I am sure, but a member of the public. So anyway....heres the deal....

My partner yesterday, absolutely terrified me. He's been a medic for "years now." He is going to kill someone someday. Maybe not next shift, or next year. But if it keeps up, he will. With his driving.

Geez, where to start on his driving....

I was driving, while we responded to one of our Tramautic Injury calls. The guy with the broken ankle while drunk skim boarding. Why we were actually responding is still a mystery, as our beach safety units were on scene and they are about 90% EMT's and the rest Paramedics. The are our road EMT's/Medics who pull overtime shifts on the beach for the most part. Anyway, they had him in their vehicle, ankle wrapped and splinted. Vitals all WNL, patient in NAD (ETOH and Darvocet status was unknown to them at that time). Patient was laughing and joking with them. So anyway, I am not going to kill us or anyone else for a broken ankle. So we were responding and I was driving about 55 in a 45 zone. Didn't need to use the airhorn or play with the siren at all. Traffic was pulling over, people at the lights were waiting. We were getting down the road easy. I think we were getting along better than if we sped up real fast, only to have to get on the brakes at lights. He looks over and says "Look, your driving like my Grandma, pick it up a lot." We were approaching a heavily congested area that is before a bridge that leads to the beaches. Its 25 MPH there. I told him I didn't think I would drive any faster as our EMT's on scene are reporting a stable patient, who only requests EMS transport b/c his friends are to drunk to drive him, there is a ton of holiday/schools out/lets party at the prettiest beaches around traffic, and I am not jepordizing myself, the general public, or him just to hurry up and reach the bridge a couple seconds faster (the bridge is a huge PITA to get over anyway, let alone when trying to get people to move). He responded with Fine, he is going to drive from then on.

Now I am friends with his regular partner. He has told me that his driving is less than desirable. But, when he gets back from vacation, I think I might have to smack him for being so vague.

In a nutshell, he gets in, puts the peddal to the floor, and doesn't let up unless there is a car in front of him that will not pull over. In which case he rides up on their bumper and forces them over and even off the road in some cases. Red lights mean nothing. I can't tell you the number of red lights he drove through without even checking up to make sure the cars would stay stopped or one wouldn't come out of nowhere. We went through the downtown area, which is 25 MPH posted, at 80 MPH for an assault, called in by SO. Patient with Lac to cheek. We had at least 3 VERY NEAR misses with other cars.

One of them, as we were pulling out of station, I was putting my seatbelt on (he doesn't allow time for it to be done before he starts moving) when I told him "Don't go. Its not clear." He kept going. I said "Theres a car coming, don't go!" He sped up. So now I am hitting his arm and sounded something like "No No NO!! Theres cars! STOP!! STOP! STOP!" The car that was coming realized he wasn't going to stop, and they couldn't, so they jerked their wheel and drove into the grass. He decided to find the brake peddal at the specific moment. He stompped on it. And since I hadn't got my seatbelt fastened, I hit the dash and front window with my right side. He said, "Oh, oops. They were in the damn blind spot" (umm, hello?!?! could he not hear me yelling to stop, or feel me hitting his arm???) Spent the rest of the day with that numb tingly feeling from my elbow to my fingertips and a HUGE headache. Today, hurts pretty good, still have a bit of a headache and have numerous bruises. We weren't even responding to a call. We were pulling out to go for a station move for coverage.

At that point I jumped out, went around and told him to get out. He said No, I drive like his grandma and he will be driving for the day. So I told him, either he gets out and I drive everything for the rest of the shift, or we are out of service because I need to be enroute to the ER to get checked out. He got this stupid confused look and asked if I had gotten hurt on a call. I was like, NO you just threw me into the window. Now Get OUT! He held his ground one more time. So I got on the radio and told dispatch we would be out of service and asked where Medcom was so we could call him.

Dispatch, being dipatch, responds with "But we have emergency traffic for you." Negative. We are out of service for an injury. And as soon as I said that, our trucks Nextel rang. My partner looks at it and says its Medcom (our CPT). At the same time my personal Nextel beeps. Its our LT. And they are both yacking, What happened? Whose hurt? One of us better answer them? Where are we Dammit, answer the Nextel!! My partner looks at me and says "I have to ride the BLS calls too? What if we get a psych transfer?" Yes, unless your ready to drive me to the hospital, sit and wait with me (its what we do. if our partner is hurt, we sit in the ER with them, unless they have something immediate to be done.) and explain to Medcom now and the Chief on Monday how I got hurt, OH and put the busiest truck in the county out of service on a Saturday of a holiday weekend.

So out he gets. He gets on the truck Nextel, me on mine. We won't be out of service, but I am the one with the injury and need to see one of them asap. My medic for the day, asks me at least 4 times during the rest of the shift, what I am going to tell them happened when we talk. At first I was like, "I dunno" or "Haven't decided," but finally I told him I plan on telling them the truth.

Well asap didn't happen. Not for the talk anyway. Between calls, they were able to get the paperwork done so I can get looked at if I want. By 4 a.m. I was tired, hurting, and pissed off. Picked up our last unconscious patient. We unload the drunk chick, our Med Director is working in the ER. BLAH BLAH BLAH....hes really chatty sometimes. BUT, he helps us transfer patients from our stretcher to their beds, so I will not complain one bit. So he's chatty, wants to know what happened (haven't even give the details to our Medcom, so he got the same short answer - hard stop), wants to know if I need anything (a gun, maybe - to shoot the medic), how is my arm/head/neck (it hurts. thanks for caring) , do I want anything for pain (morphine please!), don't over do it (so can I decline to transfer those 400+lbers for awhile, b/c thats overdoing it everyday), do I want to go home (hell yea! when my relief gets in at 0700)

I called my LT this morning, but he was almost home. I didn't want to talk about it via Nextel, and I didn't want him to drive all the way back in. He lives about 40 miles from my regular station. So he agreed to make sure he got with me next shift. Which is Tuesday. He did ask me why the medic was driving, his partner always drives.

I talked with a friend about it today. He was on another truck and had heard I'd gotten hurt and felt bad b/c he was supposed to be with the medic I was with and Me with his, but I traded him to make it easier on him (he was pulling an 84 hr shift between EMS and FIRE, the station was closer to his FD station and is normally like the 2nd slowest in the county). Anyway, he says its apparently common knowledge (uh, apparently NOT!!) this medics driving sucks and that is why his regular partner does all of the driving. He only drives if he has a relief EMT that doesn't know any better (another reason to smack his regular partner). He's not so sure the entire truth is necessary. Just the hard stop, car in the blind spot created by the mirrors is sufficient.

One other person that was with the LT when he called me, called me at one point and asked me if I had gotten hurt b/c of something the medic did while driving. I didn't answer him with anything other than the hard stop line. He says, "Well thats him. He cant see sh*t"

Ok, I guess I am done. I don't know. Would any of you say anything? It seems like they already know and handle it by him not driving. And if thats the case, shouldn't it be partly his responsibility to tell the person he is working with that he doesn't drive? And partly the shift supervisors? Some-freakin-body!

aline

Forum Probie
He sounds like a HUGE liability for your company. I would say something. He injured you, his partner. That is NOT COOL! You're lucky he didn't put you through that windshield. Next time, the person may not be so lucky as to only get bruises and sore muscles. I can only imagine what would have happened if you had been in the back when he pulled that stunt. Kissing a cabinet or bulkhead comes to mind. The fact that the higher ups know about it and don't do anything about it put the entire company on the line.
Also, if his regular partner does all the driving, when does he get any patient care? This is not helping him improve his skills as an EMT and it will make it harder for him when he does get a new partner.

Take Care and Stay Safe :)

disassociative

Forum Captain
Yes, Vehical safety is definately very important; especially emergency vehicals. There were a couple of guys here at our ambulance service that upon returning from an out of county location; decided to play "Ambulance Tag" IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TOWN. These guys were driving through the town flashing their lights--making cars move aside in an attempt to be the first out of town.

Anyways; a few days later they were called to the Office and both were fired for these actions; One of the guys had another Paramedic with him(A PARAMEDIC of Almost 15 years). If it wasn't for the word of civilian onlookers that called in; he would've lost his job as well. Fortunately, it did not come to that. Goes to show how some people think that "EMS" is a game and that whenever an Emergency is called or not; they think they can just blast the sirens and zoom by at 100 mph disregarding safety.

I remember the first thing they told us to do on a scene:

1. Scene Safety

I believe this could fall under scene safety; seeing as if the ambulance had've
had an accident; who was going to respond when a real emergency was called?

Not to mention the fact that it is disrespectful to everyone on the EMS team seeing as; once we put on our STAR; we are full representatives of EMS as a whole, and the way we conduct ourselves is a reflection of that system's professionalism.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Honey you did the right thing. When you meet with him Tues, tell him everything. Write a report and keep it on record for yourself..(CYA). And let the Cpt know you are too. This guy will kill someone one day, no doubt about it. Tell the Cpt that too.
In fact print this post out and hand it to him.

Did you ever get checked out? Are you feeling better?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Princess...

Yeah... you need to make sure the LT knows what happened. At the least, this guy needs another run through EVOC and some time getting practice, on the road, with a trainer/instructor type.

If he gets fired - some folks will treat you as a pariah, assuming that YOU got him fired (not his own stupidity).

As I've mentioned before... I work for a VERY large national EMS provider... They don't tolerate unsafe driving... locally, they fired someone last month for not wearing thier seatbelt (a known punishment for the offense). This type of driving can get someone fired at my work, per our employment policy... There is NEVER an excuse for this sort of driving.

Oh, and Princess - why didn't you have your seatbelt on? You KNOW you shouldn't be in an ambulance without a seatbelt!

disassociative

Forum Captain

Here is what I don't get; these guys see this happening everyday; people losing their lifes from stupid automobile mistakes such as not wearing a seatbelt or showboating, yet some of them still ride around at 90 mph without a seatbelt.

I always tell anyone that is riding with me; "No Seatbelt--No Go."
If more people would do this; maybe more people would survive.

As far as being fired for no seatbelt; I think that is an excellent punishment.
Kind of hypocritical for the guys telling you "Wear Your Seatbelt" to be riding
around without one. Maybe the police officers should start selling crack.

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
some of our PRV's are Subaru's & RX-8's and stuff, and some of them drive rally style, BUT ONLY WHERE IT IS SENSIBLE TO DO SO!
U felt unsafe, hell, I felt unsafe reading it. not cool.

Regards

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
About the seat belt thing, totally agree! I used to be one of those people that never wore one. Until I started getting into this field, now I won't even put the car (or ambulance) in gear unless everyone is strapped in. It's just stupid not to wear one wherever you are.

Princess, give us an update...did you talk to him today?

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
MedicStudentJon said:
Oh, and Princess - why didn't you have your seatbelt on? You KNOW you shouldn't be in an ambulance without a seatbelt!

He is one that doesn't allow for time to get it on. When I get in to drive, I ask my partner if they are ready. Every single time. This allows for them to say "Oops, forgot something" and jump out, or get their seatbelt on, or whatever.

When this Medic gets in, he starts it up and has it in gear, sometimes before I would even have my door shut.

I was putting it on as he was pulling out.

My LT came to me today to find out what happened. He had heard about a little outburst accompanied by a swear word or two at the station. That station is right next to the road maintenance shop, where the county has all the maint. done on their vehicles. I guess there was a crew there swapping out of their ambulance and into a back up and overheard us.

So I told him what happened. He says he is going to talk with the CPT on the shift (who was layed up in the ER as a very ill patient today) and determine the best course of action.

He won't be fired. I can guarantee that. I wouldn't want them to. He just needs some sort of wake up call, and I don't want that to be him killing a family of 4.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Rangat said:
some of our PRV's are Subaru's & RX-8's and stuff, and some of them drive rally style, BUT ONLY WHERE IT IS SENSIBLE TO DO SO!
U felt unsafe, hell, I felt unsafe reading it. not cool.

Regards
SWEET! We had an officer at my work who drove a WRX... and he was always looking at "new toys" for the car...

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Wow.
Anyone who is not mature enough to handle an emergency vehicle by simply driving it in an appropriate and safe manner is definitely not mature or responsible enough to have patients' lives (and his partner's) in his hands. IMO, he should be fired - I'm sure there are policies regarding responding to calls/ transporting to hospitals and I'm sure he broke them.
I hope you are okay. I would have it documented.
Be safe!

BrandoEMT

Forum Crew Member
Does your service have drive cams? Mine does, that sort of quick stop would have been captured and they would have had evidence to prove that the medic was the cause. Driving is key to this occupation, if you can't drive safely to a call you might as not go. If the crew is injured you do no good to the patient. I commend you for telling your supervisors the whole story. This medic needs to have a paper trail history of his misconduct. One of the medics I've ridden with was driving code 90-100mph to a call and text messaging multiple times on his cell phone while half paying attention to the road. That scared me just a little :wacko: . Anyway, don't feel that you should keep anything like this secret, it will only bite you in the rear.

B

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
BrandoEMT said:
Does your service have drive cams?

Nope. No drive cams. Our supply guy solicited estimates. Our money people (County Commisioners) decided the benefit didn't outweigh the cost. Same thing with GPS. Dont have that either. But we did get CPAP's. They aren't on the trucks yet though. Maybe someday.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think DriveCams are great. If I ran a service I'd have them in the ambulance, no questions asked.

The problem is that they cost about $1,000 each... which many services would rather use for a million other things.

Edit: Two of our units were equipped with DriveCams as a trial. The video has led to the firing of an employee due to bad driving.

You can't blow a red light, almost tbone a school bus, while on the cell phone, and then give the bus driver the one-finger salute as you yell at the top of your lungs. Especially with a DriveCam in your unit.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Nice...

RoadSafety is great, too..

It tells "them" how fast you were going, did you stop, were the lights on, etc...

Tactical Medic

Forum Crew Member
Its real nice of you that you didn't report that moron, cause I wouldv'e... That guy does not need to be driving in such a manner, I had one EMT (for a side gig in NYC) that got a cell call from the dispatcher (who needed a "favor") this EMT starts the bus and drives Code 3 to the other side of the city, I kept asking her what was the nature of the call, and all she said is that the dispatcher needed a favor, I asked her to slow down NUMEROUS times (but I was the FNG- I guess all my years experience doesn't count :wacko: ) well we ended up at the HOSPITAL!

WTF? I'm like what was this favor? She replys that the dispatcher forgot about this discharge and made the client wait 6 HOURS to go home! I was like "no he didn't!" Anyway the client was W/C bound so we had to lug his overweight caboos up 3 flights of stairs with the stairchair, the EMT drove like a madman but lifted like a little girl (Now I'm really upset)

after the call I tell her to take me to base, she refuses and states dispatch has not cleared us to go back to base, I say fine and go into my drug box, pull the narcotics and commence to climb out of the ambulance, she freaks out and tells dispatch we are RTB. When I get back I give the dispatch the 3rd degree, I sign my narcs back in AND make him give me a reciept for them, stamped with the timeclock. I turned all my stuff in and QUIT :excl:

The next day I get calls saying why I left and because I did I was fired :lol: later that afternoon, I returned my uniforms, and I'm asked to write a statement, so I basicly recount the whole story, and then advise them I will be going to write to the state. A couple of weeks later I see one of the crews at triage and speak with them, both the EMT and dispatcher were fired.

IMHO people like this should not be allowed to work in this field, I have seen first hand what a moron behind the wheel of a 2 ton vehicle can do in a MVC/Ped struck, its not pretty.... Protect yourself and to hell what anyone else thinks ;)