Tattoos

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Hey all, I am looking to get an EMS tattoo pretty soon, but I don't know exactly what I want.

Post your EMS related tattoos if you have any please! :)

And/or any advice on what would look cool! :cool:

DPM

Forum Captain
Am I right in thinking you're 17 and not an EMT yet? I'm not trying to piss on your Cheerios but my advice would be to wait until you've got some experience behind you before getting anything. You don't want to turn up on your first day and have you preceptor think you're a d*ck-head because you've already got a winged star of life with flames shooting out of it on your arm.

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Not to be marginally off topic, but...

My thing with tats is to get something with personal meaning behind it. Now, that's not to say that being anything in the medical field isn't a lifestyle decision, but to me, employment isn't my bag for tattoos.

To each their own though :)

And that said, I plan on getting a caduceus. More in memory of my grandfather (WWII purple heart medic) than career decision though.

At least that's what I tell myself. ;)

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I agree with you..
I wanted to get the star of life with a heartbeat going through it, and I want to get the name of the first patient I lost kinda wrapped around the top of it, and the date of death wrapped below it.

Is that acceptable?

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I agree with you..
I wanted to get the star of life with a heartbeat going through it, and I want to get the name of the first patient I lost kinda wrapped around the top of it, and the date of death wrapped below it.

Is that acceptable?

Really?

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member

The first patient I ever lost was when I wasn't even an MFR yet.. My dad taught me CPR when I was 15, and when I was on vacation that same year the man sitting next to me at the hotel coded.. I did CPR for ten minutes awaiting the medics..
He was pronounced dead on scene..

So yes, really, it is kinda a big deal to a 15 year old.

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Am I right in thinking you're 17 and not an EMT yet? I'm not trying to piss on your Cheerios but my advice would be to wait until you've got some experience behind you before getting anything. You don't want to turn up on your first day and have you preceptor think you're a d*ck-head because you've already got a winged star of life with flames shooting out of it on your arm.

First of all, I love that analogy, piss on your Cheerios.. Bout pissed myself laughing. ;)

As for the Tat, I have been working in EMS since I was 14. Riding along since I was 15.. Everyone at my agency knows me, and knows how serious I am about this career. I have read through the current college EMT books, and done the workbook that comes with it... The only reason I am not a certified EMT yet, is because of my age.

The owner of the Ambulance service has already guaranteed me a job the day I get my cert.. And he also knows how serious I am about the job.

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Does HIPPA apply to tattoos?
I don't know about anyone else but I would be a little peeved if someone got my husband's name tattooed on them.
I understand that this was a life changing event for you. Did you know this man personally?

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
I didn't know the family personally, no.
But I have kept in contact with them ever since he died last June.
And I have already talked to them about it, and they said they would be honored.

It's just something really close to my heart I guess...

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
How about this as an alternative.

The star of life as you said, and the date of death below it, but instead of the pt's name, something along the lines of Memento Mori, Latin for Remember Your Mortality (roughly).

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Im sorry, not to be rude, but you were 15. He was not your patient. You have never had a patient, as a non certified 16 year old. Did you help? I'm sure you have the guy a fighting chance. But, enjoy high school, ems will be there when you get done, and most likely (hopefully) has changed quite a bit by then as well

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
I like the idea of using something else, besides his name..
I don't like that Latin saying though..

JPINFV

Gadfly
Big animal, with really big teeth. Live in the water most of the time.

I wouldn't get that on my arm either.

...and no, HIPAA doesn't apply unless the provider is working for a service that bills electronically ("covered entity"). Since the OP was a civilian at the time, it wouldn't apply in that situation.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
I think it would be kind of tacky with their name being part of the tattoo. I would just wait awhile and think it over buddy. Those are hard to get rid of. But if your hearts set on it, don't let anyone tell you different. Theres always gonna be haters out there, and the fact of the matter is that it will be on your skin, not theirs. So in the end, just do what feels right! Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't get that on my arm either.

...and no, HIPAA doesn't apply unless the provider is working for a service that bills electronically ("covered entity"). Since the OP was a civilian at the time, it wouldn't apply in that situation.

Well heavens I would hope not, they're butt ugly animals!
The babies are pretty damn cute though.

As for the HIPPA thing, I should have been a bit more clear.
While I understand it was a moment in time that had an impact on the OPs life, I was more uncomfortable with the fact that the man who died didn't a) know him and b) isn't here to say "Yes too may tattoo my name into your skin."

But, it wasn't my experience and most importantly, not my body.