Tattoos in ems

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
Ok so I have heard some talk at one of my jobs that any visible tattoos will no longer be allowed in any public service job. I want to get some input from others on how you feel about this. i personally have one on my lower arm and think its quite ridiculous! Tats do not change your standards of care or anything to do with pt care.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Someone is pulling your leg with the "any public service job" bit... that is an issue of employer policy (which might be set, in part, by local government requirements).

It has become a hot-button issue recently... but there are also a lot of dedicated folks with cool tattoos... check out www.Strikethebox.com for some.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Better hide them when you apply for a job with me. We do not allow visible tattoo's nor visible facial piercings.. The same as newscasters, and other professional services.

R/r 911

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I'm just going to copy and paste my response from this exact question in the Gay in EMS forum.(Don't worry OP you are the first as far as i know to post this question)
i have 7 tattoos and two piercings. Four tatts are on my forearms. i have yet to encounter a patient that i could not strike up a great conversation based on my tattoos. i usually get "so what does that one mean" or grandma going "i have one to...see". my appearance in no way shape or form denotes my abilities. granted i always wear a suit to the interview so that they cannot tell but none the less. I wear the suit to show them my character before they have a chance to judge me off my tattoos, that way when they do see that i have them they usually say, "wow, I'd of never guessed. I come of as a young looking and extremely well mannered individual. All responses are yes mamm/no mamm and yes sir/no sir. when i have kids in the back of the ambulance...i even call them sir or mamm. pending the environment my vocabulary changes, i.e. professional setting more advance vocabulary. i think that you would be the same person regardless of the pretty pictures or words on your arms...or how many holes you have in/on your head.

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
Ok so I have heard some talk at one of my jobs that any visible tattoos will no longer be allowed in any public service job. I want to get some input from others on how you feel about this. i personally have one on my lower arm and think its quite ridiculous! Tats do not change your standards of care or anything to do with pt care.

I don't have any problems with tats.

I am a brand new EMT-b soon to be EMT-P student, and the CEO of the ambulance service came and spoke to our class just to tell us what ambulance services expected of employees and he told one guy in our class point blank that he wouldn't hire him because of tats and piercings.

He went on to explain why, and it wasn't because of his ability was any less than anyone else in the room but because of the opinion that some patients have. He said that he "didn't want a patient to hesitate to call 911 fearing that tatted up thug was going to be taking care of them" thats his words, not mine

OP
OP
W

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
Someone is pulling your leg with the "any public service job" bit... that is an issue of employer policy (which might be set, in part, by local government requirements).

It has become a hot-button issue recently... but there are also a lot of dedicated folks with cool tattoos... check out www.Strikethebox.com for some.

Yes what i should have said was EMS, and PD

I have also yet to have a PT hesitate bc of my tat and yes very very good conversation starters

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
I don't really see the big deal with having tattoos while being on an Ambulance or any other job for that matter. I've had very pleasant conversations with patients talking about their tattoos. I may see the problem that management or other higher up may have with them, but as long as they aren't offensive I don't see any problem with them. I see them purely as a work of art. My father has a few and they are all very tasteful, one including all of his children's names on it, and my mothers name.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I've commented on this before and will again here. It's absurd to compare tattoos and piercings as an excuse because one feels that should not be a reflection of his or hers outstanding patient care skills. With that mentality, let's just start wearing cutoff jeans, flip flops and wife beater t-shirts while on duty. I see plenty of people attired that way around town, so it should be okay for EMS crews as well. After all, that shouldn't have a bearing on ones so-called outstanding patient care standards?

Of the three emergency services (law enforcement, fire, EMS) EMS has lead the way in consistently lowering its professional appearance standard over the past decade. Fire services is a close second, especially fire services that have EMS. Law enforcement's professional appearance hasn't changed and still rises well above fire and EMS and their professional appearance commands respect. You don't see too many law officers with piercings sticking out of their head, visible tats or uniforms that lower their standard of professional appearance.

Patient skills should never be an excuse for presenting an unprofessional appearance and unfortunately many in the EMS industry fail to realize this costly mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Karaya, ican see how you view this topic...however i don't ever wear piercings at either joband my tattoos are in good taste. i have seen teh hopital workers and Ambulance crew members with some pretty bad tatts, this i think projects the image that most people in society associate with criminal or unprofessional. I know that i can't change your mind on this one nor am i trying. I think that tattoos can be done in good taste and not alter ones professional apperance, and they can be done in bad taste and make the individual look like a "thug or "punk".

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
You're being a bit narrow on this mikey. It has nothing to do if the tat is a good one or a bad one; it is the perception it delivers in this industry as being unprofessional in appearance. I don't think they (tats) at all reflect the character of an individual as good or bad, at least in this day and age.

Please don't take wearing tats as a personal attack on your skills or character, you sound like a very skilled and caring medic. But visible tats as well as facial piercings are flat out unprofessional in this industry. Ridryder911's comparison of a newscaster is another excellent example how certain industries enforce professional appearance. I'm sure there are many newscasters sporting tats, but you won't see them on the evening news.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I think that tattoos can be done in good taste and not alter ones professional apperance, and they can be done in bad taste and make the individual look like a "thug or "punk".

Unfortunately thats not how its looked at tho. I don't have any tattoos but I do have piercings, and people look at you diffrent because they do have that low class un-intellegent(think I spelled that wrong LOL) image of people with tatts and piercings.

ksrrvfd

Forum Probie
The personell pool will get smaller....

If tats/piercings are a big problem for hiring people has anyone stopped to think that this younger group of students and EMT-B and EMT-P newcomers are coming from a generation where those are the cool things to have. That being said there is gonna come a time where it will be hard to find anyone who does not have a tat or piercing. Then what? Is the shortage of medic's gonna grow because of the stereotype. I don't have tats or piercings but my hair is not exactly above the collar. That being said, I also work in a very small town where the people are mostly farmers and ranchers and they don't have any problems with it. I have no complaints on my patient care or appearance ever.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The issue is not your patient care. The issue is presenting a professional appearance. No one will say that having visible tats or piercings will lower your ability to be a good medic. But the reality is that it will impact your ability to get a job with some agencies.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Id also like to throw in their alot of the people that I know in this field around here have tatt. of the kids/family department, ambulances fire trucks 9/11 memorials.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
:pI guess this is a bit of a different view in a sense. I have both tattoos and piercings. I do have visible piercings and have NEVER had an issues. Now all my tattoos are hidden and that is because I think it is more professional. Even the man that has done all my tattoos doesn't show off his work at work. He is completely covered and I respect that.

As for piercings...I can see how certain piercings are not as tasteful and don't look as professional. The only visible piercings I have it a small diamond stud in my nostril and then ear piercings. The nose piercing has never been an issue. To be honest most people don't even notice it because it is a small studd. However if I went to a job interview and they offered me a job under the condition I have it removed while at work I would have no problem with this.

Personally it is up the employers descretion but I would hope I wouln't be denied an interview based on the fact I had piercings especially without being given the option of having them removed at work (not an attack on anyone because I didn't read every post fully). I can say that being in this career has discouraged me from getting anymore. Plus I am not as young as I was when I decided they were Oh So Cool!

MDKEMT

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
If tats/piercings are a big problem for hiring people has anyone stopped to think that this younger group of students and EMT-B and EMT-P newcomers are coming from a generation where those are the cool things to have.

... and this generation is in for a hard fall from grace when they start to realize that their boss doesn't care about how cool something is/was or about making someone feel good because they tried. You (directed at the current/next generation enter the work force) don't get points for trying and not everyone makes the team. Why put extra strikes against yourself before you've proven (note: Prove as in "work" with good referrals not prove as in "passed a test") your value?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I have worked at the ER for about a year now and not a person there couldtell you that i have tattoos. not that i'm ashamed of them but our ER is usually cold so i tend to use long sleeve shirts.

reaper

Working Bum
I have tats, but not one is visible. I had the common sense to place them appropriately, when I choose to get them. I for one look at a potential employee that has tats on the forearm and piercings in the face, as someone that does not make the best decisions in life.

I have worked with people that were hired, as long as they covered up the tats or removed the piercings. It never failed that they were getting yelled at for showing up with the tats showing or a piercing in.

This generation will have to grow up eventually and learn to work in the real world. Your bosses will always be older and are not gonna hand you the world on a platter.

I'm with Rid, that you need to learn to keep your appearance professional.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
I am not saying Rid is wrong by any means. I think it is up the the employer. I would have no problem coming to work without a piercing in and if I did I would expect to be disciplined.

MDKEMT