Tasers

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok. This weeks research project is on Tasers. :D

I've seen this month's JEMS article.

Anyone have any run-in's with Taser victims?

Anyone have Taser Training? What does Taser International say about victims?

Thanks,

Jon

FYI - I'm doing these weekly projects now, and wil be asking for suggestions with probably every one (using all my availible resources :lol:)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I seen a video on it.. Patient was threatening to commit suicide, the police tased him with out waiting to see what the weapon was.

He burst into flames... The weapon was gasoline.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, I'd like a Taser....oh, :blink: what do you mean that wasn't the question?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
been tased.....does that count?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
While extending a cable TV wire from the former living room, now dining room; into the den, now living room; I couldn't get a good grip on the wire. SO.. I licked my finger, grabbed it.. pulled in through the wall, and grasped the other end that I was hooking it to..

OMG.

That made me curl into a ball on the floor.

I don't think I could handle being Tased.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 26 2005, 07:57 PM
While extending a cable TV wire from the former living room, now dining room; into the den, now living room; I couldn't get a good grip on the wire. SO.. I licked my finger, grabbed it.. pulled in through the wall, and grasped the other end that I was hooking it to..

OMG.

LOL. You crack me up sometimes.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 26 2005, 07:57 PM

OMG.

LOL. You crack me up sometimes.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 26 2005, 11:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 26 2005, 11:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@May 26 2005, 07:57 PM

OMG.

LOL. You crack me up sometimes. [/b][/quote]
Only SOMETIMES????

I've got 360 joules of kiss my *** that say otherwise...
Ahh.... another fan of Bob and Mortimer of LessStress..... :D

Jon

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Since we're telling "shocking" stories...

When we bought our house, one of the things I did was replace almost every electrical outlet and light switch in the house. In the kitchen, we had a four-plug outlet (two side-by-side gang outlets) on one wall. Three of the outlets worked, and the fourth was scorched. So, being the good safety guy I am, I found and turned off the correct breaker and tested each outlet to make sure it was cold.

Pull the plate, start removing the damaged outlet and ZAP!

Turns out that some genius (I think I used harsher language at the time) had wired three of the outlets to one circuit, and the one that was damaged to a different one. Since the outlet was damaged, my circuit tester showed it as cold, even though there was still juice to the backside.

After the tingling went away, I went and switched the main disconnect for the entire house before doing anymore wiring.

Oh well, at least it made for a good story to tell when I was doing electrical safety training. :D

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
And to answer the original question...not many tasers in use around here. Our cops prefer their nightsticks and guns. ;)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I have watched the police taze someone here...

They had already tazed him once. We get the "electrocution" call (as required, per protocols, everytime they taze some jackass).

So we get there, and the guy is hollering, and kicking the windows in the car, swearing, and spitting.

So they take him out...try to get him to calm down....

realizing they are considering tazing him again, I ask if my crew and I can watch.

"Sure...just stay over there" they point off to the side

So we stand....and watch...and I actually said out loud..

"Cool..can you do it again" :p :rolleyes: :D :lol: :rolleyes:

ECC

Forum Captain
Once upon a time... ;)

I was still working midnights, and it was a sweltering July night...about 2 AM. We get alled for a Violent EDP (Emotionally Disturbed Person). We are the first ones to pull onto the block, and we see the biggest angriest black man ever! (I am 6' 2" and was ~275 lbs then...no wilting flower, let me tell you...and he made me think twice about what was about to happen.

He was pacing up and down the stairs, sweating...high on PCP. Shouting that he was going to kill anyone whe came near (hence our involvement). We waited for a few minutes for the inevitable arrival of the NYPD...a few minutes goes by and an RMP (Radio Motor Patrol) arrives with 2 officers, quickly followed by another. The senior of the officers made an executive decision and called for a boss. While we waited for the boss, an REP (Radio Emergency Patrol) arrived (settle down rescuecpt...yes the boys with 'balls' arrived).

ESS makes yet another executive decision and calls for the 'War Wagon', and their boss, ESU4. In the meantime the Precinct Sergeant arrives. In executive decision of his own, the Sergeant pulls out his taser...tries to talk to the subject in question...after a few moments of failed negotions...he points the taser at the subject, and BLAM...hits him center mass with both darts.

Instead of dropping to the ground and performing the funky chicken, the subject looks at the darts...looks at us...and looks at the darts again...and rips them out of his chest. Plan 1 is a failure.

About this time the 'War Wagon' arrives with 2 ESU officers and is followed by ESU4. Yet another executive decision is about to be made!

Plan 2: the 4 ESU officers behind riot shields will apporach the subject, douse him with a Pressurized Water Can, and THEN ESU4 will zap him into compliance.

Viola! Plan 2 is a success.....partially. When the stunner stops stunning...the subject starts to get up rather than stay down. Our hero then goes into action!

It takes all 11 of us (2 RMPS = 4 officers, 1 Paramedic Ambulance = 2 Paramedics, 1 Precint Patrol Supervisor = 1 Sergeant and 1 P.O. as his chauffeur, 1 REP = 2 ESU Officers, 1 War Wagon = 2 more, and ESU4) to subdue the subject, and I was thrown off the pile twice.

Lessons learned:

1) Tasers are not the salvation we were looking for at the time

2) If someone does not want to get hand cuffed, they wont be without ALOT of force. :eek:

rescuecpt

OOOhhhh.... the boys with balls... :wub: