tape!

Cake

Forum Crew Member
guys, i hate to ask, but I give up. I've gone through about 5 different brands of tape, and I cannot find any that sticks to kling. I don't have access to an ambulance to look, so I figured I would check the next best thing: here

whats a damn good, go-to, store brought tape that will do the trick?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
guys, i hate to ask, but I give up. I've gone through about 5 different brands of tape, and I cannot find any that sticks to kling. I don't have access to an ambulance to look, so I figured I would check the next best thing: here

whats a damn good, go-to, store brought tape that will do the trick?

3M silk tape. Get it at the drugstore in the wound care section. (aka by the bandaides)

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Try making a loop and tying the cling to itself. Or place your tape in an X. As for tape make sure your using cloth as paper tape sucks for actually taping things.

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
The silk tape is good, but I think this is a better way. After you wrap the Kling around the dressing or whatever, split the tail end down the middle. wrap one side back in the opposite direction and when the two ends come together, just tie a simple square not.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm a fan of J&J Zonas and J&J Coach cloth tape. In other words, check out the sports stores. The athletic tapes are designed to stick to skin pretty well and stick to foam underwrap, which is similar to Kling. McDavid tape will work but it doesn't tear as nicely as Zonas or Coach will.

OP
OP
C

Cake

Forum Crew Member
thanks tons guys! I like the idea of spitting down the middle if i was stuck without tape.

Is the cloth tape from the sports stores you mentioned the same as the grip tape you would wrap around a lacrosse or hockey stick?

I'll try that and the 3m silk tape. Do either have any degree of waterproofness?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
thanks tons guys! I like the idea of spitting down the middle if i was stuck without tape.

Is the cloth tape from the sports stores you mentioned the same as the grip tape you would wrap around a lacrosse or hockey stick?

I'll try that and the 3m silk tape. Do either have any degree of waterproofness?
The sports tape is similar to what you wrap around a lacrosse or hockey stick, but is of higher to much higher quality. If you're looking for something that is self-adherent and won't/doesn't stick to wounds or skin, Coban is great stuff for that. It provides mild compression and only sticks to itself.

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, Coban makes the best compression bandage.

Hint, go to a pet store or horse tack store and ask for vet wrap. Same thing and is half the price. Plus comes in all colors.

Vet wrap was designed for the equine industry. The medical field found it to be a great product. They just double the price!

OP
OP
C

Cake

Forum Crew Member
For restraining someone with Kling, just tie it off. Or use duct tape. :)

maybe im using :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty kling, but even duct tape wouldnt stick to it! hence why I broke down and asked a EMS 101 quesiton.

im gonna check out vet wrap too. good bang for the buck, and you dont have to mess with tape.. seems like a winner!

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
What happened to tying off dressings w/o tape? Tying a knot in the dressing right over the wound site? I see all the newer EMT's taping everything. Tying a dressing in a knot actually acts as direct pressure to a certain degree.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What happened to tying off dressings w/o tape? Tying a knot in the dressing right over the wound site? I see all the newer EMT's taping everything. Tying a dressing in a knot actually acts as direct pressure to a certain degree.

There is a risk of local tissue necrosis from circumferential compression.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Can't use that stuff for some reason here

Looking through the MI statewide protocol online, it looks like a service issue than a state wide issue...

Hockey

Quackers
Looking through the MI statewide protocol online, it looks like a service issue than a state wide issue...

Yeah region issue I suppose. Apparently everyone is going to be on a "state level protocol" system here. I'll believe it when I see it

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I guess I have a noob question now. Why would I use kling AND tape? barring a tournequette, and I'm going to use something with less give than kling then...color me confused.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I guess I have a noob question now. Why would I use kling AND tape? barring a tournequette, and I'm going to use something with less give than kling then...color me confused.

Tape holds the kling in place.

When applied vertically, it keeps it from bunching up.

It is also better to use than the little metal clips to hold the free end so as to not cut the patient or tear the kling requiring it to be redone more frequently.

The tape also cuts down on the long term compression of knots tied tight enough to keep in on for any length of time. (like in wound care) Or prevents a tournequette like action in the case of circumferential burns which may help create a compartment syndrome.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Hmmm haven't had circumferential burns. I never knot cling, simply tuck the tail end in. And only pull tight enough to hold the bandage in place and no tighter, check my pulses post application and have never used tape...actually never seen tape used with kling even when watching more experienced providers. Ya learn something new every day. I'm not sure I'd use kling as my first choice with a burn anyway. Seems too...clingy lol. Gonna have to look thorugh our supplies and chart a course of action for the inevitable I suppose.