Switched my minor from Psychology to Sociology

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Does anyone else with/pursuing a bachelors have a minor? Is it completely useless for employment reasons? I think Sociology is pretty interesting and almost any career could benefit with a minor in it.

Feel free to chime in.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
It could make the difference between you and another person getting a promotion one day.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My minor is Behavioral science.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Has it done anything for you Tim?

Summit

Critical Crazy
IME minors rarely matter in HR issues unless all else is equal. However, the education gained in minors can make you superior in performance if they are relevant.

I personally thought sociology was quite interesting, but that as a field of "science," it is horrifically subjective and culturally pedantic even compared to other social sciences.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya it can be quite subjective, that is for sure! Not sure if you have read any of Bauman (brilliant guy) but I can see your point.

It is also a very pleasant change from all the natural science and healthcare stuff. Helps break up the monotony I suppose, but more importantly helps fill the gap for my funding to ensure I stay at or over full time status, and that extra classes do not go to waste.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Has it done anything for you Tim?

I haven't graduated yet...just a few classes to go. My degree will be a BS in Public Safety Administration with a concentration in EMS and a behavioral science minor.

Only reason I am getting it is because I started out in Nursing. All nursing grads ended up with a behavioral science minor from my school. I already have all the classes so why not.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anyone else with/pursuing a bachelors have a minor? Is it completely useless for employment reasons? I think Sociology is pretty interesting and almost any career could benefit with a minor in it.

Feel free to chime in.

My employment situation has suggested that a minor is a fun way to show that you've got diverse interests or a wide set of skills. Say, a math minor for an English major to demonstrate quantitative aptitude. Sociology is an interesting field, but it's not internally consistent, which is unfortunate.

Glider

Forum Probie
In terms of hiring, most employers don't actually understand the difference between a dual degree, dual major, major/minor combo, and so on. So in my honest opinon, study what you want to study. A minor, dual, or 2nd degree generally looks good, but one doesn't look any better than another in terms of "hire-ability."

As an undergrad, if your looking to go into business, study electrical engineering or finance (Companies will generally help you, or fully pay for your MBA, so there is no reason to study business twice). If your looking to go into the medical field, especially on the "pre-speciality school" courses, humanities is always a safe bet (assuming you complete the pre-reqs for the specific type of secondary school your interested in).

Career Center Adviser,
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
BS in Paramedicine with a minor in Sociology. I am gonna be making the big bucks! ......NOT :blink:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

Feel free to chime in.

I currently am working on a minor in bio (which I should get if scheduling works out with other classes :p).

I don't know if it will definitely help, but a minor certainly can't hurt.