Summer education

lococos

Forum Ride Along
I am currently an engineering student in college with my EMT-B certificate. I want to get a higher certification but I only can do that during my summers. Does anyone know a paramedic course that can be spread out over a few summers or a good AEMT certification?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I am currently an engineering student in college with my EMT-B certificate. I want to get a higher certification but I only can do that during my summers. Does anyone know a paramedic course that can be spread out over a few summers or a good AEMT certification?
It would help if we at least knew what state you're in

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm an engineer and a paramedic. I doubt there's a legitimate paramedic course that can be spread out the way you want, but even if there is, let me ask you this: How would you feel about going to engineering school summers only? I would have felt like I was starting over each summer. I think that would be the case for summers-only medic school, too. You'd lose continuity, which would make it harder to build new knowledge on old.

If you can complete an AEMT course during one summer, or you can find an accelerated medic program that takes only three months, I think those would be better for you.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I will tell you right now, there is no paramedic program that you can take only during your summers unless you can find a course that runs monday to friday, 9am to 5pm for 16 weeks straight, during the summer. many/most paramedic programs I am familiar with are part time, because many/most providers are working full time as well as going to school.

If you do want to take a semester off from college (fall or spring), and complete paramedic school, you do have a few options:

there are probably a few others, but i have no information about them other than what is publicly available.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Pelham is across the border in Indiana. It's fairly expensive in my opinion.

I've worked with a few EMTs that went through their course and didn't have any issues with them. I've seen Paramedic students in clinicals, but I've never spoken to any of them, or seen them with patients.

As someone that did an accelerated 1 year program, I wouldn't recommend anything shorter than that, but you might be the type of person that does well.

CerealKing

Forum Ride Along
I was in a very similar position. I am a junior in college right now and just finished my medic course without taking any time off of school. I really liked Pelham, I did my EMT through them in late 2019. I got my paramedic through Percom because I did not have time to do the Pelham course. I started in February of 2020 worked on the online coursework from then until March of 2020. Then did all of my clinical this summer. Percom does have an AEMT program as well if you wanted a shorter time commitment. Best of luck!