Suggestions Needed! So many bags to carry!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our units are equipped as follows:

Jump Bag / Trauma Kit
BP Cuff Set Bag
EPI Pen Set Bag
AED
Portable Suction
O2 Tank with Carrier

It just always seems to me that sometimes gets forgotten, that I'm always running back to the truck for something. Some crews string the EPI Pen bag and BP Cuff set through the jump bag shoulder strap, but then it hands all over the place in the ambulance.

When I arrive on scene with a radio, clip board, and have to grab all this other stuff, I'm always forgetting something. How do other people do it? There has to be a better way!

Maybe purchasing cheap BP cuff sets and sticking them in our jump bags? It seems I really only use the portable suction when I'm in the unit anyway. Surely someone has designed a jump bag with an AED pouch, but I never see them!

Surely there is a better way!

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by MMiz@Feb 12 2005, 03:41 AM
Our units are equipped as follows:

Jump Bag / Trauma Kit
BP Cuff Set Bag
EPI Pen Set Bag
AED
Portable Suction
O2 Tank with Carrier

It just always seems to me that sometimes gets forgotten, that I'm always running back to the truck for something. Some crews string the EPI Pen bag and BP Cuff set through the jump bag shoulder strap, but then it hands all over the place in the ambulance.

When I arrive on scene with a radio, clip board, and have to grab all this other stuff, I'm always forgetting something. How do other people do it? There has to be a better way!

Maybe purchasing cheap BP cuff sets and sticking them in our jump bags? It seems I really only use the portable suction when I'm in the unit anyway. Surely someone has designed a jump bag with an AED pouch, but I never see them!

Surely there is a better way!
Our Jump bag has a BP cuff set in an end pouch. As far as having an AED pocket it does not make sense as you dont need to lug around more than you always need. We throw everything on our stretcher if we know we are going to need it and that simplifies things significantly. As far as a Epi set, I need to call med dir. to be able to use it and the phone is on the rig right above the drug drawer. Our O2 tanks are on the stretcher already so we dont have to drag those in seperately. I feel the same about portable suction. Why take something in if you do not need it all the time. I like having the simplified jump kit for that reason. Of course I have first responders with me at all times to send for equipment... :D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
At Toyota, since we didn't do arrive via ambulance, all we carried to the scene was our jump bag. We had our trauma supplies, O2 tank (d-size) w/ supplies, BP cuff, etc all inside. Our ambulance cart (modified EZ-GO golf cart w/ Stryker MX-Pro 3 cot, AED, O2, Traction, suction, and misc. other supplies on it) would go on all medical runs of course and if these supplies were needed we'd just grab it off the cart when it arrived.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Our jump bags contain the BP Cuff, Pulse Ox, and O2 tank. We would have to grab the AED and portable suction if needed, although we do have a manual suction in the bag.

All of our drugs stay on the ambulance. If we need to administer drugs, we're taking the pt. to the ambulance to do it. We just recently put an IV set-up in each bag, though.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Normally all we take in wiht us is oxygen which is in a bag that has mask, tubing and nasal cannuals in. Ususally we turn it on and hook up a mask while enroute. I have a habit of grabing a BP cuff and sticking it in my coat pocket during the winter with the stethascope around my neck. Or we stick the BP cuff and stethoscope under the head of the cot we also have gauze, extra gloves, ace wraps, and tape kept under the head at all times. If we know it is trauma we grab our trauma bag which has O2 in it along with all our dressings, our Medical bag has all the airways and hand held suction along with glucose. In both our medical and trauma bags we have a BP cuff and stethoscope in an out side pocket. As for the AED we grab it if we know we are going to need it or chance of it which is very seldom. IVs we normally dont start.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Medical Kits
UniMed Bag in green for Adult Medical (O2, BVM, BP set, misc things, glucose)
UniMed Bag in red for Pedi Medical (O2, Infant/Pedi BVM, BP Set, same was above)
Trauma Bag
Ultra Breathsave w/ O2, Collars, Dressings, burn solution, typical stuff, BVM's

All kits have a complete airway set; oral & Nasal. The O2 cylinders are in those sleeves that attach them to the rail of the cot.

LP500 & Portable Suction.

We keep just put the kit we need on the cot, and go in like that, and carry anything else we may need for the call.

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
We have the conterra basic O2 bag which has the o2, epi pens, o2 equip, bp cuffs, asa, bvms, port suction, just grab the aed, trauma bag (if needed) and chair and you're ready for your 9 story walk down.... :D

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
We carry three things on our cot, the first in bag that has most everything in it, weighs like 30 lbs, our lifepak 12 which i think weighs 14 or 28 lbs, and our airway bag that has anything airway in it. We have ResQ vacs in the airway bag, and portable electric suctions we carry on a shelf next to our peds bags, if we need the electric on scene we bring it with us if it sound like we might, and if we get there without it we use the resQ vac until someone runs to the bus and gets it.