Study suggestions

DetroitFD

Forum Probie
Hey all-
I'm only 3 weeks into a 16 week online EMT B course (w live lab and clinicals). I asked the instructor specifically if we need to know things like exact small specific bones, structures of the brain, and things of that nature. While I know that a general idea of what is where is very important for the job, I am wondering how much questions like "this line points to the (blank) part of the brain" show up? Most of what I've read says its mostly a scenario test, so I'm thinking I don't need tons of that, like what every nerve is. I just don't want to waste time learning things too in detail. I'm on a FD now but we do suppression only, and our EMTs say they barely use the specifics like that on the road. I just want to be prepared.

Also any sections I should study extra well are appreciated. I figure rather than asking the week before for nremt, its smart to know what to pay special attention now. If it helps, we use EMT Complete by limber as our text.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Most of what I've read says its mostly a scenario test, so I'm thinking I don't need tons of that, like what every nerve is. I just don't want to waste time learning things too in detail. I'm on a FD now but we do suppression only, and our EMTs say they barely use the specifics like that on the road. I just want to be prepared.

That is unfortunate, because using stuff like that everyday is what seperates the great providers from the ones who just do the job.

So I guess it depends on your goal.

Yes, you can get by with just a general idea, but is that the kind of help you want to call or pay for?

Also incidentally, in the last few years most states have adopted a new curriculum for EMS. So if you are getting advice from older people, you will find that the certification tests do not match their experience or your expectations.

Just something to consider.

OP
OP
D

DetroitFD

Forum Probie
I am just looking at it like I do with fire suppression. We learned a lot of stuff in the academy that wasn't necessarily tested, and is never put to use in the field. I will be doing CE on a regular basis anyway, so I can learn more and more over time. But seeing as I'm doing a mostly online course, I have to learn book stuff by myself. I'd rather know what's going to get me certified and used it the field more than well and leave more specific things to be looked at more later.

Obviously the more you know in patient care the better. I didn't mean that I want to provide mediocre care. However, things like brain anatomy and exact nerves aren't overly useful I the field, according to the EMTs I've spoken to in many local departments. A solid working knowledge in the entire body is obviously needed tho! I don't intend to go the medic route, and want to be a proficient emt to be sure. I just don't want to over think things right now if not needed. Thanks for the reply :)

leoemt

Forum Captain
Hey all-
I'm only 3 weeks into a 16 week online EMT B course (w live lab and clinicals). I asked the instructor specifically if we need to know things like exact small specific bones, structures of the brain, and things of that nature. While I know that a general idea of what is where is very important for the job, I am wondering how much questions like "this line points to the (blank) part of the brain" show up? Most of what I've read says its mostly a scenario test, so I'm thinking I don't need tons of that, like what every nerve is. I just don't want to waste time learning things too in detail. I'm on a FD now but we do suppression only, and our EMTs say they barely use the specifics like that on the road. I just want to be prepared.

Also any sections I should study extra well are appreciated. I figure rather than asking the week before for nremt, its smart to know what to pay special attention now. If it helps, we use EMT Complete by limber as our text.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!!

First off stop worrying about the NREMT. You are early into your education, concentrate on your classwork. Class curriculum is designed to train you to National Standards. If you understand the curriculum you wont have a problem with the NR test.

As for what we do in the field that is not something you need to worry about now. Field work is not like school work and local protocol often differs from the National Standard. Again, concentrate on your class. Taking baby steps now will help you out in your career later.

I will say this, pay close attention to patient assessments and your vitals. Everything in the book is important, but it is by no means a complete education.

I know your eager but take it slow.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Vene makes a good point, knowing the "little stuff" is the difference between adequate and great. That said you will not see much "little stuff" on the test. That said I'm pretty sure "Name the 27 bones in the hand" is not likely to pop up on a basic test.

coopdeville

Forum Ride Along
Hello first time here. Real quick on the test format I just took it and there was a lot of scenarios and blood pressure questions. Airway management also. It was kinda hard.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
The test is dynamic and focuses more on perceived weaknesses in your answers, I may encounter heavy Peds while someone else will get airway and trauma for example. I'll be over here reading up on Peds and vitals =)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think you can get more than 15% pediatrics, if I'm not mistaken.