Student Plan to Move Elsewhere (Reciprocity)

greengasfire

Forum Ride Along
Hello, apologize for anything that's incorrect. I'm getting my Paramedic degree and licensure in Sacramento, California. Although I'm new in the program I'd like to learn beforehand. As soon as I got everything, certifications or licenses to work wherever in California as a paramedic, what would the steps that need to be taken to actually work in one of these states?

Alabama
Georgia
North Carolina

Thanks for helping out, and again sorry for anything a new comer would do.

Jason

Medic
Greetings and best of luck on becoming a Paramedic.
I do not live or work in the above mentioned states; however, ...
... if reciprocity exists in those states with the NR - it's mostly a matter of paperwork and showing your credentials. Sometimes some CEUs may be needed and a class or a few. Some states do make you test at their state paramedic level. A test not necessarily the same as the NR.
I have looked into a few states, in consideration of moving, and these variations seem to be the common guidelines from state to state on the paramedic level.
On the other side - if the state does not recognize the NR, then you may be starting over.
My recommendation is for you to visit that state's EMS website to gain accurate information and even contact info.
Again, best of luck.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Every state I've ever looked at has clearly defined regulations on granting reciprocity easily found on state.gov sites.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Georgia is as simple as mailing your reciprocity paperwork and 75 bucks.
You like the lack of RSI in statewide protocols? o_O

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You like the lack of RSI in statewide protocols? o_O

It blows.

However, there's this... (From the scope of practice document: https://dph.georgia.gov/sites/dph.g...-2011 - Updated 7-1-2011 - Paramedic Only.pdf)

Administration of paralytics for the purposes of RSI (Rapid Sequence Induction/Intubation) is not permitted unless the EMS Agency has met RSI requirements promulgated by the OEMST, and has received approval for RSI use l h from the OEMST. Paramedics are allowed to use paralytics to maintain the paralysis of an already intubated patient, if approved by medical direction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

greengasfire

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for Georgia. What about Alabama? I've been digging around more so and I've looked at the NREMT reciprocity and it states that you need to take an exam.

I'm not exactly sure, so does this mean that once you pass that exam you're allowed to apply for a license and work in the state of Alabama?

Leatherpuke

Forum Crew Member
I'd be interested to know about Texas if anybody happens to have their reciprocity info handy.

EDIT: Nevermind, Texas was pretty easy to find, google is my friend.

One question though, it states that in order to receive resiprocity for the EMT-I level, you must show proof that you are certified in " alternative airway intubation devices". Are they talking about Kings and combi-tubes here or something else?

I'm an AEMT in Kansas and all we did for airway was kings and combis. Do I need something else?