Struggling

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys,

Well lately ive been really having a hard time finding an EMT job. I have 6 months of BLS experience in LA County. Yet im not hearing back from any applications. ( hate the online system, especially because it doesnt allow you to present yourself ) I do follow up with phone calls but the only awnser i get is either A. not hiring at this time or B. Wait till you get an email response.

Anyone have any advice, especially with getting past the online app and being able to finaly get in and take a written or get an interview. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Chan

Forum Crew Member
I know the feeling. I prefer to drop my app in person rather than online because you simply get to show face. I think you should do a app drop at all your surrounding services. You might impress someone for taking the initiative. Hang in there I'm in the same boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
ya. Im confident if i can just get an interview i know i can blow it away and impress them. But ive also heard bad things about just showing up and attempting to get hired etc. soo not sure :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You need to be that guy that calls and checks up on your app every couple of weeks. You're ahead of the game since you do have experience. Don't just call once then give up. Also, apply everywhere within reasonable distance of you.

OP
OP
B

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
when i do call in, whos the most important person i need to ask for? becuase the human resources people dont do anything. And should i just make it quick?

"hi my names ....... i recently applied to your company and am just wanting to know the status of my application?"....

sorry not very experienced with this because im still young, but i need to learn how to do this right!

Chan

Forum Crew Member
I just had an interview with Medlife in Glendale and they're looking for drivers in the LA area. Give them a try.

OP
OP
B

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
i live in the inland empire area, soo its tough finding a place within reasonable distance. Also i dont think id be legal to drive yet, im only 19. usually its 21 +

Chan

Forum Crew Member
i live in the inland empire area, soo its tough finding a place within reasonable distance. Also i dont think id be legal to drive yet, im only 19. usually its 21 +

There's your problem, most places won't hire anyone under 21 for insurance reasons. But it doesn't hurt to keep trying. Most insurance companies won't insure the company if their drivers are under 21.

OP
OP
B

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
just got an interview for Medcoast and Americare next weeK. Im not too nervous about them as far as written test goes. But the lady from Americare told me they will have me do a skills test. Its been 6 + months since ive worked as an emt since i went through a fire academy. I really dont remember how to use traction splints etc or whatever they have me do. Anyone got any ideas and best way i should study for this?

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
just got an interview for Medcoast and Americare next weeK. Im not too nervous about them as far as written test goes. But the lady from Americare told me they will have me do a skills test. Its been 6 + months since ive worked as an emt since i went through a fire academy. I really dont remember how to use traction splints etc or whatever they have me do. Anyone got any ideas and best way i should study for this?

There's some pretty good YouTube videos for using various splints if you don't have access to the splints you forgot to use, and maybe you could just read the chapter reviews at the end of each chapter in your EMT text book to catch up on some stuff. Best of luck buddy

Gordoemt

Forum Lieutenant

Prn is having a job fair march 6 I be live its on their site and procare is hiring right now I be live 4 12 her shifts with 11 to 12 and hr. go on Craigslist. Alot of companies post jobs their. That's how I got my emt job.