Newparamedic

Forum Crew Member
I signed up Sunday too. My application says 100 complete and Status Active

OP
OP
N

Newparamedic

Forum Crew Member
I looked up AMI in the google search and I found random things m, then AMI paramedic and still nothing along with other terms

OP
OP
N

Newparamedic

Forum Crew Member
I found AMI network , but nothing that has to do with paramedics in reference to jobs. They have other jobs for RNs , physicians, etc but no paramedics unless you want to help me.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I heard they were running some of fdny’s calls

That may be true, but it is still irrelevant. Years ago, I worked for a private in Boston. Like every other sparky basic at a Boston private, I thought doing Boston EMS’ grunt work made me a hero. Then I finally realized that we never got the “good” calls from BEMS, we got the drunks, the psychs, the frequent flyer 3 floor carry downs. I wasn’t a hero, I was their donkey.

Of course, there is a period of time in every career where you still get some degree of thrill from the lights and siren, charging in the front door and really taking command of the scene.....and the grandma who hasn’t pooped in three days and wants to go to a hospital four towns away because her doctor is there, waiting at the back door at three am. If that still blows your skirt up, and you want to say you “did the job in NYC”, carry on.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
Can any clarify what AMR is responding to ? I am hearing that AMR P are only allowed to do BLS calls in NYC.

OP
OP
N

Newparamedic

Forum Crew Member
That may be true, but it is still irrelevant. Years ago, I worked for a private in Boston. Like every other sparky basic at a Boston private, I thought doing Boston EMS’ grunt work made me a hero. Then I finally realized that we never got the “good” calls from BEMS, we got the drunks, the psychs, the frequent flyer 3 floor carry downs. I wasn’t a hero, I was their donkey.

Of course, there is a period of time in every career where you still get some degree of thrill from the lights and siren, charging in the front door and really taking command of the scene.....and the grandma who hasn’t pooped in three days and wants to go to a hospital four towns away because her doctor is there, waiting at the back door at three am. If that still blows your skirt up, and you want to say you “did the job in NYC”, carry on.
With those BLS calls, I would be trying to AMA every one of them. I don't find any glory or pride in those calls. BTW I am not working as a basic like you were. I just want a change of pace while I wait for my transfer to go through. Also, to have experience for future deployments.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
With those BLS calls, I would be trying to AMA every one of them. I don't find any glory or pride in those calls. BTW I am not working as a basic like you were. I just want a change of pace while I wait for my transfer to go through. Also, to have experience for future deployments.

Yeah, I can read a username and make an inference or two. I hope I’m not the one to break this too you, but you may throw a rocker on your patch and see a few more bucks, but the nonsense is transitive. At the ALS level, we just put an iv in them, bill it ALS, and go back to the house to wait for the next one.

OP
OP
N

Newparamedic

Forum Crew Member
You might just put an IV and bill it as als , but I won't. I won't ever do an als skill unless it is needed and the pt will potentially have a worse outcome if I don't do it.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
You might just put an IV and bill it as als , but I won't. I won't ever do an als skill unless it is needed and the pt will potentially have a worse outcome if I don't do it.

Good for you. I hope your state agrees with your morals, because my state decides what is ALS and if you disagree, either the state or your medical director will pull your card. Grandma who hasn’t pooped in three days has “the potential to become hemodynamically unstable” and therefore the standard of care is IV access, fluid, pain and nausea management and transportation to an appropriate facility. The list of “BLS” calls I have to work up or face the music about is staggering. Sure, you can spend an hour tap dancing around the part you cant admit to, but then you’re on the hook for a lie. It’s far easier to just dance to their music.

I’ve had many calls QA’d for not meeting protocol expectations, and it’s always a contentious battle trying to explain that no, you aren’t a moron. You used good old fashioned medical judgement and determined that level of care was unnecessary in those circumstances. Then you have to sit through an hours worth of “but what if”, until you finally(maybe) get off with a stern warning. I got tired of it. Now I’m a good little monkey. You do you.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I knew of a medic who lost his license for (among other things) not following the "Normal Sinus Rhythm" protocol.

If they want your ***, they'll get it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
That's the stuff that roadblocks Quality Initiatives. That stuff makes me crazy. I never jam up anyone who doesn't follow a protocol. I recently had a medic that gave a guy with a food bolus stuck in his esophagus a couple of milligrams of Glucagon. Is that in the protocol? No Fin way. Did he call a doc first? Also nope. Did I smash his ballz with the QI hammer? Nope. We had a chat about the appropriateness of that treatment and if he had presented to the doc he may have gotten orders. Now he has a better understanding of what happens if he colors outside the lines and how to mitigate the backsplash. It's all about how you play the game friends.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
With those BLS calls, I would be trying to AMA every one of them. I don't find any glory or pride in those calls.

Not a great attitude to start off your career with.