Stretcher wars...

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
A few beers, steak dinner and a loaf of sourdough bread, and a Chargers jersey.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You should see our Ferno graveyard. Our director slammed Ferno on LinkedIn and now Ferno wont leave us lone lol

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Maybe they should build less crappy things.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ah, he posted a picture of our Ferno Graveyard. I'll be glad to get these POS's off our trucks completely

Attachments

• b5964d20-d00e-4262-9aab-2003d0ed5f4a-original.jpeg
    b5964d20-d00e-4262-9aab-2003d0ed5f4a-original.jpeg
    759 KB · Views: 209

RocketMedic

What did Ferno say?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess I can be fair and say we have no mechanical issues with our ferno cots. I just hate the ergonomics. They also seem heavier than the stryker, but Im 5'7" and have to lift them into the back of International Terrastars or GMC/Chevy 4500s so that could be the difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm the odd man out, after using manual Stykers, Power Lift Strykers loaded manually, and Power Lift Strykers with the Power Load System and manual Ferno Pro-Flexx......only the combined Power Load and Lift Stryker would best the Ferno Pro Flexx in my book.

Give me the Ferno Pro-Flexx over a manual Styker any day of the week.
Give me the Ferno Pro-Flexx over a Power Lift Stryker (without the Power Load, the one where you still have to lift and support the combined weight of the 100lb gurney plus patient when raising/lowering the legs to load/unload the gurney in/out of the ambulance).

Combine both the Power Load and Power Lift systems (the little trolley that supports the gurney whilst loading/unloading) Stryker, and that's the only system that I'd rather have over the manual Ferno Pro-Flexx, and even that isn't 100%. Because if your service area requires going into lots of houses with steps and tight hallways and elevators not made to fit a gurney, the ability of the Ferno to go into chair mode and be half the size to maneuver the gurney to the patient is priceless.

All those extra batteries and hydraulics don't mean squat when it's just added weight to lift up and over curbs and steps to get to where the patient is.

After using the manual Stryker for a year or so in IFT and 911 settings, then going to the Ferno Pro-Flexx for a year, year and a half in a 911 setting, and then back to the Stryker for another year and a half (my company started out with pure manual Strykers, then we got the Power Lifts a few months before we got the new rigs with the Power Load as well, so I used all three Stryker combos).....

Let me just say when using the Ferno I never once wished to go back to a Stryker, vs nearly every day with a manual Stryker I wished I had my old Ferno....

I've never once had to go out of service due to a busted Ferno or busted latching system....but I've had Stryker frames bend and break on calls, I've had to go out of service after calls because while enroute to the hospital with a patient on the gurney the Stryker came loose from the locking system, I've had locking systems for the Stryker not lock onto the gurney automatically so you either had to slam the gurney into the latch (very fun for your patient...) or reach your hand into the mechanism to unlatch it and then manually hold it open and close onto the Stryker's latch (it's a miracle I've never had the latch do very bad things to my hand, been close a few times though).

If you're in an IFT setting only (or at least primarily) dealing with settings designed to allow easy gurney access, then the Stryker Power Lift/Load is king....as soon as you have to go to peoples tiny houses and apartments and park the gurney outside their front door and carry them out to it, well those fancy hydraulics don't do you a lick of good when I found myself GS'ing (carrying) about twice as many patients to the gurney using Strykers over Fernos simply due to the larger, heavier Strykers inability to maneuver inside most of the residences I was called to.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
We had the Ferno power gurney in our CCT unit. It goes up and down fast, which is cool. Unless you're the patient. There is no smoothness to it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Have any of you used the Ferno INx?