Streets

JMorin95

Forum Crew Member
What are the best ways to learn streets?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Practice.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Instead of a GPS, use a map book.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What are the best ways to learn streets?

Driving them. If you are in a bigger area get to know the major cross streets. When we are dispatched to a call we get the cross streets with the address which can help quite a bit sometimes.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Driving around is always my preferred method for learning streets. I also find it helpful to make sure I use the map book for any call where the street is unfamiliar to me rather than using the GPS.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
In your down time, listen to addresses that other units are sent to, and map your way from your location to the scene, from the scene to the hospital, from the scene to the next scene you hear dispatched, and never, ever use the GPS. Instead, use the map.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Driving them. If you are in a bigger area get to know the major cross streets. When we are dispatched to a call we get the cross streets with the address which can help quite a bit sometimes.

This.

In your down time, listen to addresses that other units are sent to, and map your way from your location to the scene, from the scene to the hospital, from the scene to the next scene you hear dispatched, and never, ever use the GPS. Instead, use the map.

Double this.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I use Google maps on my phone as a map, it works quite well for that. I don't use the turn-by-turn directions, just use it as a display for a map. Is a lot more compact and easy to deal with than a paper map!

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Back before smartphones, and when GPS units were way too expensive, we used maps. The hagstrom maps were my favorite. Now I'll just use Google maps on my Galaxy. I like it better than navigation, as I can see different routes and cross streets and such

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I found in the first months (and years) I worked in my area, that the best way to learn was to keep a map on my lap whenever not driving (and sometimes when driving), and "chart our course". One of my first partners would quiz me when I wasn't paying attention on the closest intersection, and how I would call for help if we needed it. I also got to know local hospitals that way, by thinking about the closest ED and closest trauma center, at different points in the day.
I have a GPS in my phone, and keep that with me when I work, but rely most on my map book (which I bring to almost every shift), and have significant SNFs and Hospitals highlighted on. I also have notes to myself about one way streets, changes to roads, and tricks to getting places... it may be the best $15 I spent.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
1. Study your map book
2. Drive, drive, and drive some more.
3. Randomly quiz yourself. While posting ask yourself "what is the nearest ED? Trauma Center? How do I get there from here?"
4. Embarrass yourself by making a few wrong turns. It happens unintentionally, but boy do you learn your lesson.

For the most part learning the small residential streets is not all too important. Focus on learning your major streets. From there everything will fall into place over time.

Last edited by a moderator: