Straight to Paramedic from EMT?

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
I know there are conflicting opinions on the subject, but I have the time, money and resources to consider jumping straight into a medic program In the spring. I'm currently half way through my EMT class. Academically, It hasn't been too much of a challenge. I have been averaging high 90's on my tests and grasp the skills taught In class very easily. With that said, the Medic program does not require previous EMT experience, but experience is factored in to the decision making process. College credit can be substituted for field experience, which will help out immensely since I have over 60 credits. Like most programs, there is an oral board, entry test, and they also factor in experience as well.

I guess my question is: Would it be advisable to jump straight in? I know for a fact If I was accepted I would likely be one of the few who lacked field experience, which might make for a struggle later In the class. Anyone On the boards go straight to medic from EMT?

terrible one

Always wandering
Where's the beating a dead horse button?
This has been discussed at great length on this forum, try a search to help make your decision.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The only correct answer to this is: Would you feel comfortable doing it?

If yes, than apply and leave it in the hands of the selection committee. If no, then get as much experience as you think you need, be it 6 months, a year or whatever.

I personally jumped straight in, was at the top of my medic class, and would like to think I'm doing ok now. But don't do it if you would not feel comfortable.

Remember, you'll get plenty of clinical and internship time in school to help you feel more comfortable as well.

OP
OP
S

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
The only correct answer to this is: Would you feel comfortable doing it?

If yes, than apply and leave it in the hands of the selection committee. If no, then get as much experience as you think you need, be it 6 months, a year or whatever.

I personally jumped straight in, was at the top of my medic class, and would like to think I'm doing ok now. But don't do it if you would not feel comfortable.

Remember, you'll get plenty of clinical and internship time in school to help you feel more comfortable as well.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. It's definitely something I'm going to attempt to take on. The selection process Is pretty much out of my hands anyway, so we'll see how it goes!

medic417

The Truth Provider
You can perfect your basic skills once educated. So the answer is don't delay start today.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'd apply for it and try to become a medic ASAP. No point for a lot of people staying at lower levels

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I object to this thread

Asked and answered.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Like Linuss said, as long as you feel comfortable doing it, then go for it. I jumped straight from basic to medic and I'm not having any problems so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
i would, but alot of the Paramedic programs require 6 months to a year of EXP to get into the program (which is pretty rediculous)

but then agian, it would be easier to get into Med School than some of the Medic programs in So Cal

have you taken A&P yet?

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
My personal view/experience is to get some experience as an EMT-B before going to Medic school. EMT school doesn't give you enough time to get a feel of if you will like the profession, or find if you are able to talk to patients or deal with the stress of the job. Being a Paramedic isn't for everyone, the pay sucks, the hours suck, the job is stressful and if you don't get a feel for what it is like before you go be a Medic you might find yourself in the group of people who can't do the job after you have blown a lot of money on getting your Medic. As for how much experience you need is up to you, I spent 2.5 years as a basic simply because I did all my pre-reqs for my AAS degree before I went to Medic school, I think 6 months is plenty of time to have the novelty of the job wear off enough to judge whether you can do this for any length of time.
Also get a feel for Paramedics in the area and see how they feel about not doing time as a basic and going to Medic school, I know in these parts (CO) you will not find a decent job after you graduate if you don't have some time as a basic on your resume.

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
I say work BLS for at least a year in a busy 911 system before going to medic school. In my system a lot of the new medics coming out really lack good clinical knowledge and BLS skills. For example they will grab the monitor before getting a blood pressure or go for the pulse ox before lung sounds. A really good EMT does not have the tools medics have so these guys and gals really need to rely on assessment skills. I'm kind of old school so I do not mean to offend anyone who jumps straight to medic. BLS before ALS.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I do what needs to be done based off my education and clinical judgment. I don't relegate what I do to "EMT level before Paramedic level".

Especially if I have an EMT partner who is able to get that BP for me while I pop the patient on an EKG, or do the "BLS" stuff whilst I go further in to what needs to be done.

medic417

The Truth Provider
There is no BLS or ALS there is only patient care. Who will give best patient care? Obviously the one with the most education. So even as poorly educated as Paramedics are they have much more education. There is nothing to be gained waiting.

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
Where's the beating a dead horse button?
This has been discussed at great length on this forum, try a search to help make your decision.

Right HERE is the appropriate link if he doesn't want to search.

:p

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
Every system is different and we can only relate to where we work. In the NYC Fire Dept. you have to be an EMT for at least a year in a 911 system before being considered for medic school. That's if the Fire Dept. pays for it and you get your medic through the academy. We are a two medic system so if your partner is the tech on that day he also does BLS and vise versa. This is where good BLS skills pay off and where I see all to often medics fail miserably. I know in Boston EMS even if you are a medic you have to work on a BLS unit first. We can go back and forth on this subject but it's all a matter of opinion and some will say go straight for the medic cert and others will say you have to pay your dues and work BLS first.

OP
OP
S

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
i would, but alot of the Paramedic programs require 6 months to a year of EXP to get into the program (which is pretty rediculous)

but then agian, it would be easier to get into Med School than some of the Medic programs in So Cal

have you taken A&P yet?

Yeah, I find it odd that some states require so many pre-reqs for the same job title. Of course we are talking about peoples well being, but If you are able to pay the tuition and perform the job title up to standards, then you should be able to get into a program without all the other college core classes. I haven't taken A&P yet, might consider If I don't make It into the class next semester.

My personal view/experience is to get some experience as an EMT-B before going to Medic school. EMT school doesn't give you enough time to get a feel of if you will like the profession, or find if you are able to talk to patients or deal with the stress of the job. Being a Paramedic isn't for everyone, the pay sucks, the hours suck, the job is stressful and if you don't get a feel for what it is like before you go be a Medic you might find yourself in the group of people who can't do the job after you have blown a lot of money on getting your Medic. As for how much experience you need is up to you, I spent 2.5 years as a basic simply because I did all my pre-reqs for my AAS degree before I went to Medic school, I think 6 months is plenty of time to have the novelty of the job wear off enough to judge whether you can do this for any length of time.
Also get a feel for Paramedics in the area and see how they feel about not doing time as a basic and going to Medic school, I know in these parts (CO) you will not find a decent job after you graduate if you don't have some time as a basic on your resume.

Thanks for the words of advice. I'm fortunate to have someone around like my dad, who was a medic for the fire-department for 13 or so years before moving up the ranks. He definitely thinks I should reconsider, not because It was a terrible job, just the fact that the years of running calls, lifiting, and sleep deprivation/stress eventually hit you hard later in life. Recommends I continue with my degree and get on with a F.D and have them put you through and pay for medic school when/If the time comes.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
I must be one of the crazy ones out there that love everything about the medic lifestyle.
I love the hours.
The pay is not bad.
The stress is tolerable.
I am in medic school now and work for an ALS service as an EMT-Intermediate Technician.
I have worked in far less desirable fields for less pay and hated going to work.
I dont care if I have to work 12, 24, or 36 hour shifts. I take every available shift I can take and am thankful I have that opportunity.
I cant wait until the day I am able to wear the gold patch on my arm and will do so with pride.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
I'm doing it right now.

Passed my practicals in May. Got my license in June. Had my interview in July. Started in August.

I won't say it was the right decision or wrong decision; it's really too early for me to tell.

One conversation with my instructor during a break pretty much sums it up. He had been jokingly calling me "Rain Man" in class since I was able to answer most of the questions he threw out during the lecture and how I could write the Henderson–Hasselbalch equation and various other things from memory while the rest of the class was looking them up.

He asked me "No, seriously...do you have a photographic memory?"

I said "No, sir. I just don't have the experience anybody else here has, so I'm working my butt off for it."

It can be done, as Linuss has told you, but it won't be as easy. It shouldn't be.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yeah, I find it odd that some states require so many pre-reqs for the same job title. Of course we are talking about peoples well being, but If you are able to pay the tuition and perform the job title up to standards, then you should be able to get into a program without all the other college core classes. I haven't taken A&P yet, might consider If I don't make It into the class next semester.

I'm sorry, but people like you are what's wrong with EMS. Why shouldn't we have to have the same background classes as degree seeking students? Why is making A&P 1 & 2 w/ labs a requirement a bad idea? The more knowledge and education we have (not jsut training, but real education) the better off we are. Hell, a monkey could do most of the medic skills if you train them enough.
We need to stop looking at a medic and saying 'oh they're a medic cause they can do that', or looking at education in hours instead of years if we ever want any respect from other healthcare professions

Actually... I'm not sorry for saying it, never mind

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Gah, I'm tired of people complainiing that it's "looked at by hours instead of years".

You can look at anything in a multitude of ways.

What if I start labeling the amount of hours nurses spend in school? We all still know what that equates to.

What if I start stating my height in quarters of an inch instead of feet / inches? Or millimeters instead of meters? It all comes out to the same exact thing, just a different measurement.

There's bigger things to complain about instead of hours vs months.... like extending the amount of hours / months needed. Who cares if it's 1000 hours or 12 months? Why not 2000 hours / 24 months? 3000 / 36? Does stating the hours instead of months / years / semesters REALLY mean anything else?

You're putting a new color of eye shadow on an ugly chick.