Story My Dad told me

EMT B

Forum Captain
My dad was a former medic one town over. He got dispatched one day in the middle of winter for a 48 yo female possible anaphylactic reaction. He got on scene and the house REAKED of booze. There was a woman laying on the floor with her husband standing over her. As my dad's partner was hooking the woman up to the monitor, my dad asked, whats going on? The man replied (obviously drunk)
"I saved her friggen life."
"Ok so what happened?"
(partner butts in) "Heart rate of 220 respirations of 40, breath smells like alcohol."
(husband continues) " She fell over cause she had an allergic reaction"
"What is she allergic too?"
"Bees"
my dad now getting skeptical "Ok so what did you do?"
"I took her pen thing and i stuck it in her leg. when i tried to push the button in, it went a little ways and got stuck, so i twisted it and pushed it again, but it got stuck again so i twisted it and pushed it again."

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360166244.286862.jpg

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
HAHAHA. Don't see those twist and re-shoot syringes so much anymore. The kids might not "get it".;)

mycrofft

They make and you rarely see anymore syringes with a plunger shaft that has a stop on it. The syringe has two doses in it, but unless you give the plunger a 1/4 twist, you can only give one standard dose at a time. So the designed course of action was give one shot; withdraw needle, recap it (!!) and wait a few minutes to see if it worked. If it did, keep the syringe because it might wear off before you get to the hospital or the paramedics arrive. If it did, twist the plunger 1/4 turn to clear the blocking tab then re-inject.

I can't find them on GOOGLE. Probably went the way of epineph MDI inhalers. Used to be in the little kits that also had chlortrimeton or benedryl tabs and maybe a 1/16th inch diameter nylon cord (!!!!) for use as a tourniquet to "keep it from spreading".

draft_lens8681171module76016741photo_1261876191medicine-man-cheyene-sham.jpg

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The Twinject epinephrine auto injector is still available.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I still don't get it. Lol

He gave her 2 doses?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It is an epi pen. It is an autoinjector with 2 doses.

mycrofft

As good as the drunk who pulled his buddy's belt off and put it on as a tourniquet when his neck was slashed by a bottle. WOrked; the belt wasn't too tight and it was directly over the cut, acting as a pressure device.

mycrofft